Test Drives | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Test Drives

Discussion in '360/430' started by I.T. Guy, Feb 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Call ahead of time and tell them you are interested in it and want to drive it. Depending on the car, they may ask some questions, but I'd say a 360 would be no problem.

Also, if you drive up there in a Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari or some other expensive car, you'd have no problem testing one.

Now, don't expect them to let you drive anything super expensive or rare. They won't allow that simply out of risk, unless you are famous or very, very wealthy and think you actually might buy it.

2. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    If I am seriously thinking about buying one then YES!

3. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    FoO is very good about allowing test drives. I've driven many cars there.

4. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ask..... they can only say no. And if they do ask why it is they will not let you test drive one of their cars. If theres a genuine answer they will give you one.

P.S. I'm only speaking for experience of car dealerships in general... NOT Ferrari dealerships. Probably won't have that luxury for about 10 to 15 years from now.

5. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    I had been in contact with Ferrari New England for a few months via telephone prior to my visit, so I'd have to assume they figured I was serious. That, and the fact that I had researched the 360s to no end. In any event, when we got down to looking at specific cars, the sales rep said "Let me go get the keys" to which I replied "No need for that, it's winter out and with all the salt and sand, forget it" I bought the car that day and it arrived 2 weeks later. The first time I drove my first Ferrari was out of my driveway, the way I wanted it to turn out.

It wasn't like the driving experience was going to suck and I was going to forgo 20 years of dreaming. For me the choice was clear: no need to drive in advance.

6. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    PPI's are the test drives of Ferraris

7. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had a PPI done before I showed up when I bought a fellow f-chatters 360. I asked him if he could take me out on a testdrive with him driving the car. There were no issues and I bought the car right after.

After everything was transferred, I still didn't drive the car. I wanted to drive it for the first time post-delivery because I would have been antsy waiting for it to arrive. Once it did, and I knew it was mine, it felt right.

8. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher

I've never understood what a test drive in an exotic car is meant to accomplish.

You know the car will be fast. You know the car will handle well. You will never be allowed to test the limits of the car on a test drive so what's the point?

If you are unsure about the mechanicals of the car, get a PPI.

I currently own two Lotuses, both of which I never test drove. I knew the ride quality would be crappy. I knew the handling would be second to none. I knew the acceleration and track ability would be more than adequate. As long as I could fit in the car, I was fine.

Test drives waste a seller's time.

9. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Good point there. I went to see my car in person in Germany from UK. The owner drove the car, took me to a nice restaurant, showed me his other 993 and both were in a very good condition. He drove the car and shifted carefully and even told me how the car should be driven over a rather steep incline to avoid scraping the spoiler. He tracked the car but it was in a very good condition so I bought it. He offered if I wanted to drive it and I declined in case I had an accident in a car I didn't own in another country not really having driven a LHD car. It was checked out at Porsche Stuttgart before I bought it so I don't think it is absolutely necessary to test drive but I think a minimum of going to look at the car and talk to the owner in his own environment provides a lot of information about the owner and how he treats his/her car(s).

Harry

10. acarey617

acarey617 Karting

Jul 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #35 acarey617, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    What you said is 100% correct.

You won't push the limits of performance on a test drive. Not even close. But for most Ferraris, you know exactly what you're getting in terms of peak performance.

What a test drive CAN show you is how manageable the car is during routine driving, traffic, etc. If someone wanted to use their Ferrari for more than just a weekend toy, this would be a valuable experience. There are plenty of threads in this forum about using one as a DD.

11. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    #36 jbdmd, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
    Purchased my M5 sight unseen having never driven or ridden in an M5 (paper test drive only)

Purchased my 360 after being convinced to do so BY the test drive. Had just driven a Gallardo an hour before. I had been into the dealership a few times before. But had never driven or ridden in a 360. Basically, I walked in, said I might be interested and asked to drive it.