Test drove a C6 Z06 today, all went well until... | FerrariChat

Test drove a C6 Z06 today, all went well until...

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Darkhorse575, Apr 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    ... I looked up and realized that the roof doesn't come off! I know i know the C5 Z06 was a hard top only but frankly this was a bit of a buzz kill. I'm sure there is alot of stiffness and weight to be traded off with a targa top but why not at least make it an option? The roof on my car was one of the top three reasons I went with a Vette.

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    A C6 Z06 is a great performance bargain, probably the best out there right now. As much as I would have liked a targa top, I understand why it wasn't offered. A targa top would have increased weight and effected chassis stiffness which went against the whole philosophy that GM designed the Z06 under. Light weight and high horsepower. I'm glad I bought mine. It's such a thrill every time I drive it.

That said if you really want a targa top then get the base model. It's a bit more comfortable on the street as well. The suspension on the Z is quite stiff in comparison to the base model.

3. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE Karting

Nov 3, 2008
    Holmby Hills,Calif.
    Full Name:
    Todd Varble
    The standard cars have a steel chassis with an aluminum cross-member. The ZO6's chassis is aluminum with a magnesium cross-member, and carbon composite floors. The roof is good, then my arms aren't dragging through the grass if it goes rubber up! LOL

4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    For what it is worth, I hardly know anybody with C4 ZR-1 (or Z51 suspension) cars that have ever driven them more than about once with the top out...it needs to be there for chassis rigidity.

Maybe they learned their lesson from that experience. Note new ZR1 does not have a removable top either.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There is a company out there that will convert them to Targa top.

6. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  8. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
  9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Thank God it was a buzz kill. One less poseur in a Z06. The car is a truly magnificent performance vehicle and every spyder variant of every car is (1) heavier; and (2) more flexible. PERFORMANCE, not posing, is th epoint fo the car and I for one am so glad it was not diluted.

Just get the base car - you'll have more left for designer clothes and gold chains.

or go pay extra for a slower version of the 430, LP560, Gallardo, Porsche, etc.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

good post...it may bite a little but you speak the truth. the z-06 is a car lovers car!

11. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    There were a few "rolling in the driveway" creaks and groans on the test car. The performance was amazing. The gearbox and clutch were soo much easier than mine. As far as the road feel, I like chatty chassis.

Over the years I've driven high mile and low mile C4s and all the frames twist like ARMY cotts. C4 ZR1 should have been a targa delete car.

Considering the fact that the C5 and 6 were designed as convertibles from the outset, why not offer a targa or moonroof on the Z06? For a car that on my diet might see actual track time 1 or 2 times a year and Pacific Coast Highway more than a dozen; I'd give up some rigidity.

...Solution.

And exactlly what are you driving?
    Turn off the on XBOX and complete your profile.

12. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    You've got one heck of an attitude problem but that's another issue.

Your comment here is no different than saying anyone who buys a Lotus Elise, a CGT or an F50 is a poseur because they have a lift-off roof. Lame

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #13 kverges, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
    If the car was designed to have a removable top initially, fine, as is the case of the Elise, CGT and F50. The Z06 with aluminum frame was designed as a coupe. Which is why I stand by my comment that the base car is a better choice - steel frame so it can support a convertible. Which is why I used the term "variant" as in the orignal car was a coupe and the top later chopped off.

As for the CGT, it has always been my thought that it is truly sad that a carbon fiber monocoque car is over 3000 lbs (like a much more conventional Z06). Wonder what could have been if the car had been a coupe? I still believe that the F50 and CGT were desinged more to market to the "look at me" demographic than the hard core enthusiast who would prefer to let form follow function. The iconic McLaren F1 ain't no stinkin' convertible.

As you might imagine, I have a Z06 - happen to have an Elise as well, but I have to admit the hard core performance (street, not counting the 2-11) variant is the Exige S 240 and Lotus recommends that the top stay on that car. Hmmmmmmmmm wonder why?

I stand by my comment; open cars are more for posing and less for performance driving. And I have open cars and use them to pose (although the Elise does have passable rollover protection and does see the track). I freely admit to posing and I even like chrome plated wheels (see avatar)! I am just glad the Z06 did not get diliuted by marketing wonks bowing to prospective buyers who would have the car for the wrong reasons.

You can get the base C6, bolt on Z06 fenders and quarters, add a supercharger or at least heads/cam, wheels and you are pretty close to an open Z06, albeit with more weight. But a Z06 it is not.

Next I am going to hear complaints that the Z06 does not come with an automatic!

I don't drive an XBOX, isn't it a convertble and front wheel drive?

14. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    As previously posted the tops do come off..they are just not supposed to. There was a recall on some of the early cars due to the tops coming off the cars. The adhesive they used to attach the top is not strong enough and the difference in air pressure actually sucks the roof off. Make sure if you buy/own a car that your car was taken care of. (Check with your Chevy dealer)

15. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    OK - if we still have one left after next week...

16. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
  17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Guldstrand also has a targa top for the Z06

I have a Caravaggio interior in my Z and it looks like an Aston inside now :)

I was really sick of that stock tupperware interior

18. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Have you driven either? I suspect that if you get the chance, you may change your mind.

19. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    there is an exception although i'll be damned if i can think of it. the base model is aluminum but the spider version is CF. the spider version is both lighter and stiffer than the coupe. it was on top gear awhile back.

20. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
    I would love to see some pics

I know they do great work there!

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Zonda

22. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

Yup... 50 hp more than the coupe and the same weight/rigidity. Both Zonda F coupe and roadster are in CF, the Zonda F roadster had bare CF look as a 25.000 (or was it 28'?) £ option...

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #23 WILLIAM H, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go, I recently installed the new Caravaggio dash and door panels but I dont have pics of that yet. My Z looks like an Aston inside now :)

I also installed 15" Brembo brakes which are amazing

She is an absolute weapon on the track now

I have engine upgrades coming from Katech soon so she'll have around 600hp on road gas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The F50 chassis is pretty good but the

CGT was designed as a LeMans racer but either its class was cancelled or there was no $ to see it through

so The CGT is much more a real race car than the Enzo or F50

I think in a race an hour or longer the CGT will kill the F50/Enzo

F50 and Enzo share same chassis by the way

25. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    No they don't.