Test Drove TR Today! Questions... | FerrariChat

Test Drove TR Today! Questions...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anymac, Dec 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Recently sold my Huracan and have been craving my first Ferrari. Was going to add a manual 355 and a FF more as Huracan modern supercar/GT replacement.

Then I began considering TR which I of course loved as a kid. Finally drove one today. Here are the questions.

1) The clutch was super heavy. Is this typical?

2) It has a Capristo exhaust. Yet it was NOT nearly loud enough. The exhaust says “sound 2” on it. Hoping there is another louder version???

3) 1st gear seems kinda tall. Yet when it seems to not want to engage unless completely stopped. I suspect this is normal as many cars won’t allow 1st unless near complete stop.

4) there was no wheel tilt. But I saw on another post that they do have a tilt. Which is it?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    1) no
    2) yes
    3) yes
    4) yes, has a wheel tilt

Good luck in your testarossa when you find it

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    1) No (unless driven by a millennial)

4. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    It was heavier than any other manual car I've owned. Including Viper GTS... So could this be indicative of needing a clutch? Or perhaps the type they installed. Will have to ask.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    if it feels like a ‘59 chevy truck - it is ok

zero chatter

if it engages at the very top of its travel (pedal nearly full out) the friction material may soon need to be replaced.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I don't believe my TR clutch is heavy. I drive a DD Honda, and the Ferrari doesn't fell much different. But I went thru the whole drive train and replaced most of the common wear items. Wheel tilts yes. 1st gear can be engaged while moving. Listen for noises in 1st and 2nd gear. My trans shifted fine, no problems. But 1st and 2nd gear were spalling. Noticed when I was changing gear lube and pieces of gear teeth were on magnet.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    David, How many miles before the spalling? What gear lube were you using?

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Honestly u lost me at not nearly loud enough lol;) it is NOT a lambo or modern ferrari.
    Clutch is not atypical to be heavy; however it can be adjusted- same for the gearbox with the right oil for instance.
    Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    To me, the TR is too stylish to be loud and obnoxious. ;)

But then, I'm mellowing by the day...

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It might need a clutch or maybe a simple adjustment. Yes, there is a certain weight to the shifts. They have an indestructible feel.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    what adjustment is being referenced? its hydraulic...

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The older cars will never have the same sound as the newer cars do. Newer cars such as the Huracan are much louder. I just did full exhaust, no cats, with 2 small resonators on mine and compared to say my Murcielago its quiet as a mouse.

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Around 40,000 miles. I changed to red line when I bought it in 2010. 1st gear was always noisy to me. Previous owner ,That I know well owned the car 10 years ( not driven much) said when he bought it it was noisy. I went thru the whole car and updated diff, suspension bushings, hoses, seals, just about all wear items!

Natkingcolebasket69 and vincenzo like this.
  14. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    According to Doug DeMuro’s review in which he keeps whining about how heavy the clutch is maybe it is typical after all!

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    see post #3

like I said - he’s a millennial

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I had skinny women drive my TR, none complained about the clutch!

17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Ive owned 4 of these. It may have all 4 cats. Getting test pipes to replace the secondary's will improve the sound. It should
    sound great with that exhaust. You went from super state of the art technology to a more primitive machine. Its not the same.

18. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    That's my car, the clutch can be heavy but it's not insane. Doug reviews many cars, mostly newer cars. New cars usually have lighter clutches. It helps build views if you find stuff to complain about.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

xplodee likes this.
  19. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Of course. I get it. But it still removes some concern about what I felt. They are heavier clutches than average and certainly heavier than 355 which I drove a month ago.

20. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Best thing to do is go see and test drive as many as possible, then definitely get a PPI done by a Ferrari expert who knows a Testarossa. They will be able to confirm if the clutch is normal and other vital areas... The clutch on my Testarossa is slightly heavier than a modern car, but similar feeling to my Mondial QV. Both not overly torturous to use.....

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    This!

Dive another and compare.

You’re not going to get enough data here. Compare and contrast for yourself.

Matt

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Demuro is an idiot! Only making videos for views ans money these days. If u are european like me or driven any cars of that era they are fine.
    I did drive some TR with heavier clutch than others as well as nasty gearboxes but stiffness can be adjusted as well as proper oil does wonder.
    Do not compare thoses cars with anything new or you will be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testarossa Sean and turbo-joe like this.
  23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My clutch was not heavy at all. I replaced it and was still not heavy. I too have seen a big difference with RedLine oil in transmission, much easier.

24. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Since you have mentioned the viper gts. The clutch on the TR feels much lighter than a 96 viper gts that I've driven.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. jpanz

jpanz Karting

Sep 8, 2015
    Central Jersey Monroe
    Full Name:
    John
    I had trouble down shifting my 89tr into 1st gear unless I was going under 10mph (lots of chatter). The clutch had felt OK to me. When I brought it in for a major it turned out the clutch was fairly worn. When it was replaced it was a million times better no more chatter!