Testarossa Coolant reservoir overflow | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Coolant reservoir overflow

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Drew_4RE, Jul 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #26 Spasso, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    What do mean by "nothing"? Do you mean "no coolant" or "no air". It will be one or the other or a combination of both until you get all the air out (at least on a 308 radiator tank valve.).

2. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I mean the coolant tank was filled to the top and no coolant was coming out. Couldn't tell if air was, but I know the valve was open. Seems it was blocked from getting there. When I put the top on the coolant and started the car the tank was full. After a minute of running, it started coming out of the overflow but not out the bleeder.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #28 Spasso, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    I would keep unscrewing the bleeder until coolant comes out, and/or remove it, to see if coolant is present in the tube and to see if the bleeder is plugged. It happens.

4. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    So it went to the shop.

After all of this, the valve on the radiator cap was missing, causing it to overflow.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So has the problem been solved?

6. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Diagnosed. Big issue is, where di that little valve travel off to! Hopefully its in the tank, and not in a line

7. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Forgot to update this. My mechanic figured out that the resevoir cap had broken so that the valve was open all the time. Hence, when the coolant warmed up it would overflow!

New coolant cap and all set!

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003

caution:
    The thermostat housing's bleed screw has a slit cut thru the threads to allow the air an exit without the need to completely remove the screw. Simply backing off the screw 4 or 5 turns ought to be sufficient.

It is a far reach location & easy to drop. Once dropped, it needs to be found since it is in the area of the cam belts. I spent a good hour locating mine the first time - - **before** I figured out that it doesn't even need to be removed. Being brass you can't even enlist the help of a magnet.

if you get no fluid - then do as Spasso suggests - but use utmost care.

Rgds,
    Vince

9. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    - from reading this thread , you can appreciate why RifleDriver is how he is.

- you can really tear your hair out when you give simple + clear advice,
    and nobody seems to understand you.

- best regards.

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #35 PAP 348, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very good sir! Glad to hear its sorted!! :):)

I also had a faulty/worn cap that caused my coolant to overflow from the header tanks after a drive. A new cap sorted that out. ;);)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Actually, I think RD likes to come here because he gets a laugh at what idiots we are and knows that he will be in business until the day he can't get up out of his easy chair.