Testarossa Dash Light | FerrariChat

Testarossa Dash Light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Davecal, May 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Hi everyone, New to the forum and just bought a 1991Testarossa. Need some advice on a dash light...the light that says “Slow Down Cylinder 7-12” occasionally flickers as if it’s a loose wire. According to the manual when I turn the key to the on position the light should come on for a few seconds as a test and it does not, the 1-6 light does. When I drove the car for the first time I got this flickering and it’s dull and fast which makes me believe it’s in the wiring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dave

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You can do a search on the topic, as it has been widely discussed and is a very typical problem. Most likely the fault is due to a defective ECU that controls the operation of the 7-12 slow-down light. They have pretty much a 100% failure rate and were replaced by an updated unit (which will have green potting material instead of the original black material). The ECU's for the 1-6 and 7-12 slow down lights are located under a panel at the right side of the engine compartment. You can follow the wiring from the exhaust thermocouples to the ECU's to find them. You can test the ECU by swapping the the 7-12 unit for the 1-6 unit. If the fault follows the ECU, then you know that that is the culprit.

3. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Thanks for the great advice, I’ll look into it.

4. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    This may sound crazy but I can't seem to locate the ECU's...I located the panel above the right wheel well and removed the two 10mm bolts only to find two control units that I believe are for fuel/air and look nothing like the pictures. There are a bunch of connectors in the area that I checked and all look good. Is it behind that fuel canister? Here are two pictures showing the area and the control units I removed. Thanks in advance for any help. Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  6. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Thank you, I'll do that

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #7 Motob, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    The panel is the one just above the fuel pressure accumulator with the plastic clips for the main wiring harnesses, and has angled corners on the ends. Un-clip the harnesses from the plastic clips and you will see the two 6mm bolts (10mm heads) that hold the panel on. In your photos you can see the braided wires (with the yellow and red heat-shrink tubing on them, and masking tape) and connectors coming from the thermocouples in the exhaust going to the ECU's for the slow-down lights. Usually the connectors are hidden behind this panel, and you can only see the wiring from the thermocouples.
    The panel that you removed has the two ECUs that control the fuel injection lambda systems.

The masking tape indicates that someone has already been in there investigating the issue. You don't want to mix things up as far as the correct thermocouple is providing information to illuminate the correct warning light 1-6 or 7-12

8. Davecal

Davecal Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    David Calabrese
    Thank you, I did end up finding them and switched the wires to isolate the problem. It’s clear that one of the ECU’s is bad as after the switch the other side worked fine.
    Now I just need to find one at a reasonable price. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again for your input. Dave