Testarossa Dreaming - realistic maintenance budget | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Dreaming - realistic maintenance budget

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by brent95m3, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I have a TR and drove modern Porsches. P-Cars are perfect scalpel sharp race cars. But compared to my TR, blah!...TR are an explosion of emotions, period.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    As a 15 yr Testarossa owner and more than one Ferrari owner I respectfully DISAGREE with you.

3. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir

+ 1 on this.
    Brent,
    As a current TR owner and a having owned both the cars you own right now in the past and also a Gallardo, I can tell you it's very difficult to say which is a better choice. I personally think all of this depends on personal taste and likes and dislikes. I live in Austin also. If you would like pm me and I'll be more than happy to have a conversation with you and give you my input.

4. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    +1 Me too. On my 12th yr and the model that I've heard most often mentioned over the years is the 355.

5. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Agreed on the 355's. Very expensive as well. Some of you TR owners are simply lucky and I am very happy for you. I was just speaking from experience having owned 5 and reading about them on this forum, several of which have had the dreaded $20K transaxle issue. With my luck I won't be surprised if I'm next in line.
    Despite the TR's extreme reliability and durability, somebody is going to end up paying big money to keep them on the road, if not current owners, maybe the next ones, but somebody will. Age will always prevail.
    Reminds me of the last Lamborghini Diablo I had and sold to a friend here. I had to pay $46K for that "engine out" service. Makes the TR seem like a bargain.

6. brent95m3

brent95m3 Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    Austin
    I never buy new cars so I am aware of depreciation. The 997 is probably on a slower depreciation curve at the moment. The Z3 M Coupe (not an M3) is likely steady or appreciating.

I'll PM you Rostami. It seems our car history overlaps a bit.

How did you spend $50k on a Diablo service? Valves?

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Yes, the valves had to be all replaced with upgraded stainless steel ones, clutch, etc etc, that was incredible. George Evans (world class expert on Diablos) wasn't nice to me ;)

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    PRETTY SAD - that this part NEVER EVER ......... I mean NEVER gets mentioned.

Maybe some TR owners can learn how to shut there traps like lambo owners.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This is BY FAR the highest price I've seen or heard of concerning a single Diablo service. Certainly a combination of a neglected service car and using George, who is both quite good and quite pricey.

Diablo maintenance seems to be similar to TR maintenance with the exception of clutches, but the new generation of composite disks is changing that rapidly.

And because the Diablo is more rare than a TR, you get situations like $6,000 sets of brake rotors. But that should be taken up now in the valuations that are just now starting to take off.

10. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    +1

11. brent95m3

brent95m3 Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    Austin
    I'm not sure I follow...you're suggesting Ferrari owners don't talk as openly about the maintenance costs on the TR?

12. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The exact opposite, stop the constant whinny about a 10-20k bill , and slamming the Testarossa as too expensive when lambo owners are not complaining at spending double and triple and not creating a new thread every other day slamming their car.

People should be celebrating of such a great exotic.

Dreams cost money !

Zeff and xplodee like this.
  13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You're just not looking in the right place. (lamborghini - talk . com)

http://www.**********************/vbforum/f47/gallardo-how-much-maintenance-4715/
    http://www.**********************/vbforum/f4/maintenance-costs-new-lambos-815/
    http://www.**********************/vbforum/f4/annual-maintenance-costs-murcielago-gallardo-6343/
    http://www.**********************/vbforum/f47/looking-buy-gallardo-yearly-maintenance-costs-14369/index2.html

and so on. :)

14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah cuz FChat blocks competing sites. They're from lamborghini -talk . com.

Here are the links again, with spaces so they won't be filtered out by F-Chat. Just remove the spaces before "Lamborghini" and before "-talk" to get them to work:

http://www. lamborghini -talk.com /vbforum/f47/gallardo-how-much-maintenance-4715/
    http://www. lamborghini -talk.com/vbforum/f4/maintenance-costs-new-lambos-815/
    http://www. lamborghini -talk.com/vbforum/f4/annual-maintenance-costs-murcielago-gallardo-6343/
    http://www. lamborghini -talk.com/vbforum/f47/looking-buy-gallardo-yearly-maintenance-costs-14369/index2.html

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Thanks, but a little amiss looking at the titles. Gallardo /Murci chatter reflects 430/458 and 599 talk not Testarossa talk.

Where are the Countach and Diablo talks and threads ?

We must compare applies with applies when we talk about our cars.

Thanks for trying to post links.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Lamborghini owners are NOT spending 2X or 3X what TR owners are.....they are pretty equal in that respect.

Do you REALLY want to know the difference between the two camps as far as maintenance costs? The classic V12 Lamborghini owners (pre-Audi) drive special cars and they know and accept the higher cost to be in a select group.

Remember, the COMBINED number of 350GT/400GT/Miura/Countach/Diablo is less than the TR series by itself.

OTOH, the Audi generation guys will be whiny as hell in 10 years, because the cars are less special.

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    We don't gripe about maintenance costs much....Special cars for special people.

The general plan for me is to spend $5k per year. That will be enough 4 years out of 5. That 5th year would be like $10-$15k (brakes, or clutch, or other engine out service).....no biggie, geez just look at the beauties we get to drive!!!!

Thats pretty much in-line with what most guys allocate.

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    These blah blah discussions have been going on for decades already, and I can point out many flaws in the lambo as I can aN Edsel - you have missed my point entirely,which is any of these iconic exotics require a little extra money, especially as they age.The ongoing barrage of the Testarossa weakness and it's costs is almost as annoying as another belt thread, and really not true. That's what I was pointing out, lambo owners go through it as well, just don't cry about it.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    What do flaws have anyting to do with the discussion? None of these cars are swiss watches. I just take offense to your 2X-3X figure. Just have $10k in the bank at purchase and allocate $5k each year.....finite.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what has this to do with swiss watches???
    those also have to get a yearly check-up, otherwise they will fail some day

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL, who the hell gets their Rolex serviced every year?

What does it have to do? Big Red says you guys are whining about service costs and I'm pointing out that you can't expect Swiss watch reliability from an Italian car.

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Shark01 may I suggest you take up your beef / offense with the guy that posted this below, not me.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I have here some swiss customers and I know from 2 of them that they give their rolex once a year or every 2 years for service/cleaning. if this would be a must??
    but same as the TR service- not all is a must to do

24. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same reason my wife gets her wedding ring "checked" every six months at the jeweler - it's so they have more foot traffic in their store!

Although this last trip (after being married for almost 10 years and thus 20 visits to the jeweler) was worth it; a cracked prong that would have eventually led to the diamond falling out. If only my TR timing belts would last as long! :)