Testarossa engine removal step by step | FerrariChat

Testarossa engine removal step by step

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ang308, Jul 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I have been a member on here since 1999 when I first saw fchat online using dial up. There were many members that helped me out a bunch back then but I never really contributed much. So now I’m going to do a complete detailed step by step with photos of engine removal. I have never done this before in this car even though I own this car for 20 years. It’s had 3 services done. Once when the rear blew out in 2001. Once in 2007 when I couldn’t figure out why engine was running crappy. (It turned out to be coolant temperature switch) and last in 2012 when it was modified my Norwood’s. I have a custom EFI managed by motec and the car has a custom exhaust. I believe it’s a Borla exhaust. So except for a few changes the procedure should be the same for the most part.

What started out as a blown coolant hose has now turned out to be a full major service. I was going to do it next year but oh well. Things happen for a reason I guess. My hose that goes from coolant tank to thermostat housing blew and car overheated. I ended up changing hose and when I went to bleed system the bleeder on the drivers side coolant pipe completely unthreaded the inside of the pipe. I have no idea how or what was holding it together in the first place. Anyways I can’t pull out that pipe with taking apart some major components so at this point —-yank the motor. I’m using a 2 post lift to make this job simple. I’ve changed timing belt on my 355 twice so far so I’m hoping it’s not too much different. If anyone has any tips or pointers along the way please feel free to chime in. It’s a learning experience. I’ve checked and searched old threads and I haven’t found anything in this procedure.
    A little history in the car. I bought the car is 1999 with 12000 miles. For a while I was using it as a daily driver. Now it has 46000 miles on it. It is far from a cream puff but I don’t really care cause I love driving it.
    Unfortunately I’m doing all this through my iPhone so I hope this works out. Can you imagine when I bought this car star tac flip phones were the rage and the last old school Ferrari (to me anyway) the 355 was just finishing production. How time flies. I like to work at a slow pace so everyone please have patience with me. I will post progress as I go along. I was in the process of rebuilding my 308 when this happened. Priorities. The testarossa can’t wait.

2. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  3. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy

Attached Files:

4. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  5. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    For today’s goals I wanted to take the bumper off and the exhaust. Took me like 2 hours. Most of that time spent was looking for tools cause I have them all scattered about cause I am too lazy to put them together. But I will now cause too much time lost looking for sockets it drove me nuts.
    First up you need to remove lower valence before you get to bumper. It’s held by 14 10mm screws. I hope photos show all the screws. Taking photos is definitely not one of my strong points. There are 14 in total . 2 are connected to the rear quarter panel. You get to these from under car with an extension. And two are are at the lower wheel housing. Those are really simple to get to. If you don’t want to remove tire just use a 10mm wrench.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    The other two screws can be reached from next to tailpipe opening and the other screws hold the vent cover grill (don’t know what’s it’s called) to the frame. With all those screws out make sure you have someone helping you hold it so valence don’t fall or get bent out of shape while you’re unscrewing. Here are photos of those other bolts

7. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  8. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Also before you remove bumper make sure you disconnect wire for license plate lamps. It’s on the passenger side and it’s a quick disconnect. Mine are yellow and black. With that bumper comes out. Just pull it towards rear of car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Next up is exhaust. This is where things get different. I have a borla exhaust that is cat delete. The mounting is the same area but there are not cars now and for the life of me I can’t remember how it even looked like before to help you. Anyways from headers there are 2 13mm bolts with nuts on each header so 8 in total. Mine were rusted so wd40 did wonders. I’m gonna get new stainless bolts cause no point in putting these back. Also included photo without bumper and valance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  11. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    With those two 17mm spring loaded bolts out of the way exhaust system comes out from below. My donut gaskets look good still that connect to header downpipes so I’ll just reuse. And last this is how car looks without rear bumper and exhaust. That is all I got through today. Tomorrow I’ll tackle emptying fluids and we will see what else. Don’t have a plan yet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great job so far! Bookmarking this;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Great to watch....thank you for posting. It's important to let other TR owners know that, given the proper information, having some mechanical ability, patience, and working safely....you CAN do your own engine-out service. The first time I did one in my little garage, without a lift or power tools, I was quite apprehensive. But using the shop manual, and the great f-chatters on this forum, I was able to get through it just fine. Every time after that, I was able to get things done quicker and more efficiently....it's actually very good therapy....and gives you a sense of accomplishment. Plus...you really get to know and understand these great cars!

15. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I have the shop manual and it doesn't say anything about how to remove engine. Or is there another manual I don't know about. Unless I am missing something and not seeing it. Page checklist or even a guide would help a lot. This is manual I have
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Ok so today I put in a couple more hours. Brings total to five hours so far. I started with the rear window surround grill. It’s held in place by 4 10mm nuts. 2 are off the the curved side of window and the other two are directly in front of the Intake. One on each side. Take those nuts out and lift grill out of the way. It makes the front of the engine that much more accessible. I hope you can see in photos clearly.

17. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  18. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Drain all the oil in a catch pan or whatever suitable container. Just remember there are like 12 quarts of oil or so.

After that I drained the radiators. There is a 14mm drain plug on each radiator. You get to those from underneath. Crack the drain open and let it drip out because I took out a drain plug completely and I ended up taking a shower with coolant. It shoots out far.

19. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Next up I disconnected the brake line going to the rear distributor. It’s 11mm. Use a brake line wrench as to not strip or round out connector. Mine was on there a bit tight. Once you disconnect it let brake fluid drain into a container. This is what I used to catch all coolant and whatever fluids I drain.

20. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    while I’m letting those drain I attacked the oil cooler lines from the oil coolers that connect to front of motor. The lower hose is bigger than the upper one. I used an 2in adjustable pipe wrench to undo those connections cause I don’t have anything bigger than a 1 1/8 wrench and those are way too small. It takes a hard tug at first to break seal but after that you can unloosen with just fingers. Remember oil is going to come out of those pipes as well so be ready.

21. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    While everything is draining I started taking other little things apart. The air hoses that cool the breaks. There is a clamp that holds it to radiator or fan housing. Then there are 2 10mm nuts on each side that hold the hoses to frame. You don’t have to take those out but I did. They can stay with the motor. Just have to unloosen clamp and break free from housing in front.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Last photo didn’t come up. So what you’re looking for are those 2 10mm nuts by shocks that hold up the brake cooler

23. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  24. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
  25. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Remember there is no order I’m doing this at. I’m just seeing what needs to be disconnected and then disconnecting as I go along. Next I lowered the car again and started taking care of things from the top. All this while brake fluid oil and coolant is still draining.
    I started by unhooking the coil plug from coil. I have msd on my car but the process is still the same. The coils stay with the frame. Remember one on each side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login