Testarossa exhaust donuts | FerrariChat

Testarossa exhaust donuts

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jratcliff, Dec 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I am replacing the pre-cats on my 91 Testarossa. Does anyone know any exhaust donut gasket the I can get at an auto parts place?
    John

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Another FChatter previously posted that this NAPA part works for the large diameter exhaust donuts at the precat exit; however, I don't recall anyone posting something specific for the smaller exhaust donuts at the precat inlet (although, I try to reuse the old ones whenever possible because they are a b*tch to get off ;)):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There is a Chevy application that works for the TR header doughnuts....I'll look through my old stuff and see if I can find the part number. I know I listed it on one of my old threads.....somewhere....

4. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    what are you replacing them with? i may get the hyperflows for my car.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  6. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yeah, I know what a ***** they are to get off and this will be a new Hyper Flow pre-cat test pipe, so I'm concerned I will be able to get them off successfully. I saw the post on the NAPA p/n when I did a search (I always try to search first), but as you noted I need the small ones too. I'm not sure why they don't include the donuts with the pipes, they did with the big cats I got.

Looking through some of my old threads I found the part number I used for the header doughnuts on my 89 Testarossa.

Auto-Value part 8717 - below is the link to the page of the thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...=carguy&page=5

I'll try and get all these today and let everyone know if these do the trick.
    Thanks,
    John

7. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Are these the big ones (70mm) that go from the precats to the cats or the smaller ones that go from the header to the precats (48mm)?
    John

8. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought the ones for my boxer at Auto-Zone. Just took an old one in for a sample and they matched it for size in their catalog. And presto cheapo bought them for about 2 bucks each!
    John

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The ones in my old thread are the smaller ones that go directly on the headers.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Did any of you guys have trouble putting the exhaust back together? My original donuts were somewhat squashed from use. When I put the new donuts on, I had a hell of a time lining the precats back up. The inner precat pipe just didn't want to seat well. It seemed like the system had "adjusted" itself over the last 20 years to the old donuts...

For the future, I wouldn't change any donuts that I didn't have to. Its a pain.

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Is there a tool for that?

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IME if you replace an F exhaust component, it's often necessasy to loosen all of the donut connections and wiggle things around at the same time and maybe even tweak the silencer mounts -- these aren't precision machined parts, and slight variations in the donut connections, the tailpipe positions, the silencer angle, etc. can make a big difference. I'd also say that the newer "without asbetos" donuts aren't as pliable as the older "with asbetos" donuts. So the short answer is "yes" ;)

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003