Testarossa Hood liner leather/upholstery source? | FerrariChat

Testarossa Hood liner leather/upholstery source?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Going to do my fuse panel and decided it’s time to tidy things up.

Any leads on where to source that perforated leather that upholsters the inner hood? Most of mine are fine, I can affix new foam/batting and reattach but one looks like someone tried to spray glue it right back to the inside of the hood. Would like to source all new if possible.

Thanks! More questions on the fuse box to come but it’s been a long day...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

sherrillt likes this.
  2. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    jpanz likes this.
  3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    That's really interesting! There's a machine for everything isn't there. I'd love to buy the other set if someone hasn't spoken for it. Take an EAGLE eye at a concours for a judge to say your hole pattern is wrong.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  4. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I'll put you down for one, looks like I'll have enough to lay out 3-4 total. Brings costs way down too! I've got one other spoken for, I'll update my progress and you all can see finished job before you commit.

I made a perfect set of patterns this weekend. Ordered tailors chalk so I can mark the hide properly for cutting. Too cold in the garage to spray adhesive anyway (bought a cheap lvhp automotive paint spray gun, a gallon of tonneau adhesive and a line dryer so I can properly mount everything, not just a 3M can).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    isn't there a grey foam pad for backing this?

The reason they delaminate is the disintegration of the foam

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Correct on both points

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I been there and done that..Just make sure when you re apply the new padding you remove the hood and work on a table top..it is extra tricky getting these to lay down perfectly.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I have a few questions since you are in the middle of this. The car I just bought looked to be in pretty good shape until I touched them. The foam immediately Disintegrated as soon as I touched it. The leather seems to be perfect other than the residual foam on the back. So
    1. Is there a way to remove the foam from the original leather and use it again?
    2. What type and where can I get the new foam?
    3. If I can’t use the original leather I would be interested in a set of you new leather if you have any left.

Thanks

9. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Ignore the above comment. Did the project today. I was able to reuse the original leather (vinyl) and picked up
    some foam from Hobby Lobby and 3m adhesive from the auto store. I was able to do this without removing the hood in about 4 hours total. Turned out pretty good. Image Unavailable, Please Login

c4b4the04, EZORED and kartboy1234 like this.
  10. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I used these foam sheets and bonded the foam to the vinyl before putting them in. Only tricky part was getting the adhesive between the back of the foam and the trunk lid. Had to trim about 1/2 off the edges which still left enough to tuck the edges under the trim. Image Unavailable, Please Login

c4b4the04 likes this.
  11. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Good find for yourself! I had every intention of repurposing my original material, until I realized it had been butchered. At some point my car was poorly prepped for a few "quick bucks" and 20 years later all the short-gap stops are present. My leather wasn't properly adhered and was trimmed too small, so I couldn't do what you did (but that was the goal at first!).

As for the foam, I hope that will hold for many years for you. I am opting for a more sturdy material that will offer some padding but will stay whole over time. I used it on my dash pad as well and it has worked pretty well. Will photograph as I do it (bought it at a fabric shop, don't recall the name).

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Perhaps substitute felt instead of foam. Not as soft, but will presumably last much longer.

13. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I think the real leather is a nicer touch anyway. I was surprised to find that it didn’t come will real leather from the factory. Or maybe it did and someone already replaced it once. 30+ years is a long time. Enjoy it!

14. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Success! What a process to remove that rain cowl, mine was too badly damaged to leave in place. It is all patched up nicely, re-riveted and new foam installed (high temp, long life foam, just like the original water seal).

Opted for a poly-fabric backing instead of a foam that could decompose. I removed the rivets in the plastic retainers along the sides, they were easier to get smooth. I bought a cheap automotive paint gun and used a tonneau/convertible top contact glue on both sides of things. Went down VERY well and smooth. All prettied up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

RQtetto, raysur and EZORED like this.
  15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    looks great!

c4b4the04 likes this.
  16. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Are you still selling kits for it?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

17. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I can make a second set, no problem. Message me. Headed down to VIR tomorrow for the FCA Driver event (I'm coaching through Tuesday) and could make them next week?

18. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Took forever for me to get around to working on the hood, but Monterey car week is coming up in less than a month, so I figured I'd work on the hood. I didn't use a backing for the leather, just glued it directly to the metal. Is this a bad idea, guess I'll find out. I drilled out the rivets holding the side plastic tabs over the leather. This made install much easier.

The pictures make it look a lot bumpier than it actually is, it's smooth in person. A backing foam would have probably been good if I was going to remove the plastic trim pieces during the install, I initially wasn't going to.

I also had my cowl plastic panel removed so I can repair and reseal it. The whole bottom of the hood will now be painted matte black so that the rivets are covered.

Looks much better than it did before. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thank you C4B4the04 for the leather kit

20. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks like a nice job that is doable by the average owner......I say that and,,,,,I am redoing the carpet in my 87 in the interior of my car. There was some wiring that was used for an alarm that I was deleting etc and am trying to move forward and get this buttoned back up. The cars are pretty straight forward in a lot of ways and so after the initial I am scared to mess things up......I just said move forward. I also need to do the hood leather project, but need to finish what was started and then move on. Great stuff and keep up the good work.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  21. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I had to get over the initial fear of messing up the car, once I did then I have done a lot of work to it myself. Installed a new radio, removed a lot of old wiring, suspension rebuild, oil changes, ect.