Testarossa Ignition Switch replacement | FerrariChat

Testarossa Ignition Switch replacement

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by NashGTS, Apr 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Hello F-Chat members,

I feel it's time for me to give back. I've used this form for reference so many times for various repairs and advice. Most of my problems have been accounted for, I thank you all. However, when I had an issue with my ignition switch where it no longer kicked over the starter, I had to pave my own way as I could find no previous posts on the topic other than to replace the entire ignition assembly at significant cost. The other alternative I found was to add a separate push button ignition switch. This solution would deviate from originality which I didn't prefer.
    The issue I had was a failure of the physical contacts which carry the current from the battery through the ignition switch and fuse board to the starter. This is the white wire in the ignition switch. There is no replacement part for this. The supplier is Sipea for the ignition assembly. In the end I found that various Alfa Romeo ignition assemblies had the same switch assembly. I bought one on Ebay for $35. I removed the switch assembly from the Alfa and replaced mine. I had concern over the switch contact life and condition so I ended up opening the switch assembly, cleaned the contacts, lubricated and reassembled.
    The wire colors on the original and the wire colors on the Alfa did not match, so I ended up cutting the wires and soldering in the old to the new switch with heat shrink to make it a clean look. When removing the wires from connector block one needs to pay attention to their location in the connector block. Most importantly the two blue wires. While both blue, they operate differently out of the ignition switch and perform different functions. Then again, pay attention when cutting and soldering in the old wires. Pay attention to where you cut the blue wire from the old switch and attach it to in the new switch. Both blue wires allow current to flow in the first ignition position but one does not in the starter position. I'm going to try and attach a few photos of the switch assembly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  2. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I have two Testarossa's with a relay installed RIGHT at the starter motor, that clearly were installed because of the voltage drop related to the long path to the starter solenoid. The relay has the hot lead hooked right to the main terminal of the starter for power Then the switched wire is attached to the start terminal on the starter. So your ignition switch only has to have enough current running through it to turn on the coil of a relay. For TWo cars- one with only 3000 miles on it, I think there must be a Ferrari technical bulletin out on doing this bypass. Anything and everything a person can do to lessen the load on the fuse box, the better off you are. Both cars use a 40 amp Hella relay.

3. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Thanks so much for the advice. I was thinking a relay would be a nice way to reduce the current draw through the ignition switch as my original literally had melted plastic and the contacts we stuck open due to the deformed plastic. When I opened the switch it wasn't fixable thus I replaced it. A relay is a nice way to save this one and pulling off the hot lead at the starter makes perfect sense. I just need to make it look pretty. cheers,