Testarossa Luggage - How many pieces? | FerrariChat

Testarossa Luggage - How many pieces?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Chiaro_Slag, Jul 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Does anyone know how many pieces a complete TR luggage set would be from the 80's?

Would you happen to know which pieces go where?

Any pictures would be helpful.

What would be a fair price for the set?

Thanks for the help!

2. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Six pieces.

Two behind the seats, one being a large brief-case style piece of luggage with sprung snap locks on top. The sides, top and bottom are rigid. The other piece is soft, elongated and uses a double zip arrangement. There is a fixed leather strap, anchored behind the seats and which can be let up through the cases' handles, fed into a chromed ring set on the rear dash and looped back into a velcro fitting. Presumably to stop the case flying around in an accident and although it makes for an attractive finishing touch it is unnecessary as the luggage cannot be moved unless the seat backs are released.

Two pieces lie one on top of the other, flat, in the central well of the boot (trunk). They are traditionally shaped and handled as suitcases, but with slightly rounded edges. Finally, two smaller versions of the hard case, with top fastenings, like large vanity cases. These fit over the wheel arches.

I don't have photos at the moment, but will arrange to have a set made shortly and will post them.

Everything fits perfectly and the softer luggage can expand considerably without creating problems.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #3 Chiaro_Slag, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Rene-

I'm going to look at a set tomorrow. I only have one picture & it looks like maybe one of the larger front suitcases may be missing - I can only see 5 pieces. I'll keep that in mind when offerring a price for them. Here is a picture of a black set I found on the old Ferrarichat board, compared with the Tan set I am looking to buy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I just got this back from the seller :

Jerry, Testarossa luggage is 5 pieces not 6, only came in the Schedoni tan as in my picture, not black, price is firm at X,XXX cash. Advise, Pat

Can anyone confirm. I am buying the luggage in any event, but am just curious to know if I will be missing a piece or not.

Thanks

5. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    There is 6 bags, and you can see them on the owners site.

The tailor-made luggage set for the 512 TR is made by the original manufacturer to the original design using the highest quality hides. Vegetable tanned full-grain leather is used throughout and the luggage set is available in two colours to match your car’s interior: black or natural tan (cuoio). The set consists of two suitcases, a pilot’s attaché case and a shirt bag - which fit in the front luggage compartment – and a third suitcase and a pilot’s attaché case which fit in the cockpit. Hand-made by Schedoni’s skilled craftsmen, the set is identical in every way – right down to the stitching - to those originally supplied at the time the 512 TR was in production.

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I snatched up the set of 5 - I might be missing the top right piece in the picture of the black set.

7. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    I remember seeing sets in the brochures, was it an option or standard??$$$$$

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Option - Most people optioning NOT to get it as the original price is pretty dang high.

9. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I am 100% sure that it is a SIX pieces set. I would actually recommend holding out and look for the complete set if possible, but of course, it is up to you.

10. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Chiaro Slag, my set of 6 luggage is identical to the tan set illustrated, including the cotton dust bags. If you have acquired the 5-piece set on offer, you may well find the missing bag in another offer. The two similarly-sized suitcases are not identical, by the way, for one thing the zipper fastening is different on each.

My set came with the car, the previous owner having thrown them in. I was told that on the market they would be valued at £1,500 or more ($2,700+) and they are in very good but not perfect condition.

jpl is right, the luggage is made to the highest quality, it oozes luxury and fine craftmanship. If you've got your set, I wish you all the best, enjoy, enjoy. Your luggage is rarer than Louis Vuitton, every bit as good if not better and should command the highest respect from hotel staff at the top hotels you will now have to use.

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Rene - Yes I did snatch up the 5 piece set & I am very happy with it - I do see that the 6th piece is a slightly different piece also. The set has never been used, so it's still in great condition.

Thanks all for your help - Now to find that elusive 6th piece. :)

12. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    hey chiaro did you see any more sets out there i am looking for one for my 90 TR. and, is there a difference from year to year or are they actually dated. thanks

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't think the Testarossa luggage is different from year to year. The 512TR luggage is different though.

I put a want add in the Ferrari Market letter per someone's suggestion. It worked out good as the person who responded worked at the closest Ferrari dealer to me!

I don't know of anymore out there - They pop up on ebay from time to time.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a good price! The current value of the 308GTB set (4 pcs.) is over $4,100.00.

15. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    A nvirtually new set of 512tr luggage with 5 pieces just sold this week on Ebay for $2550. Lot of bux for luggage that is neither practical nor useable. But as an art form...

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Depends what you mean by practical & useable. Would I take it through an airport? No, never. Would I take it with my on a trip to Vegas? Absolutely. It's made to fit in the available space in the TR - So I think that is what makes it practical and useable.

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Bingo - it's that or trashbags (yes, a friend w/a 348 spyder did that) that would 'mould' to fit the luggage compartment.

The Ferrari luggage is got to be the most practical and useable thing you can buy, assuming you drive your Ferrari for frequent overnight stays.

18. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Hey Jerry, if not too much to ask, can you please post a pic or two of the luggage placed in the car when you get a chance. Id like to see how neatly they fit in their respective spots.

Thanks!

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yes - I'll do that this weekend.

20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    WILL PAY FINDERS FEE!

for information leading to the purchase of a luggage set to fit an 84 512 Berlinetta Boxer. Tan only or red /tan

E mail [email protected]

21. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm looking for Mondial t luggage that isn't outrageously priced like it is on the Ferrari Owners site

22. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    Buy the luggage as art or something cool for your car, only. I sold the set I had for my old TR because I thought it was useless as luggage. In most cases you only need to carry enough stuff for 2 people for a few days. The trunk and behind the seats always provided me enough storage space. Having said that I had to have the set and loved them, I just never used them.

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've had luggage sets for my 348,400GT, TR and now my BB512i and have used them all for long weekends my wife and I take on occasion. I highly recommend that you buy a set if you have a Ferrari. But, don't overpay! I only paid from $1k to $1.5k for the used sets I have bought.

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for the tip to put a want add on the FML - It worked out well!