Testarossa paint thickness readings | FerrariChat

Testarossa paint thickness readings

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by GM_FFX, Aug 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GM_FFX

GM_FFX Rookie

Mar 23, 2015
    Hey guys, I'm looking at a '91 Testarossa at a Ferrari dealer and I asked paint thickness readings, they were kind enough to send them right away but the numbers seem to fluctuate a lot, they go from 4 mils at the door to 9 mils at the rear wheel arch panel.
    Roof is reading 12 mils toward the windshield and 16 mils toward the back, engine bonnet 3 mils and upper quarter panel above 19 mils (it actually shows >19 and unable to go higher)...

My understanding is that anything above 9 or 10 mils is a respray, what do you guys think?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think it would be good for you to introduce yourself a little and fill out your profile

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Paint repairs while still at the factory or after shipping was not uncommon but that one would be hard to explain if it was just that.

GM_FFX likes this.
  4. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    Flat surfaces accumulate more paint in the old hand spray process. If you can get them to diagram thickness by panels, you're looking for inconsistencies along similar surfaces and adjacent surfaces.

GM_FFX likes this.