Testarossa Price Trends | Page 115 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    If you really want it keep after them and offer them 115k. I wouldn’t let a few thousand hold you back if you really like the car. It won’t make much difference in the big scheme of things. It’s hard to find the right car that checks all the boxes as it is.

MS250 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    well said hard to find a nice clean car pay the extra coin well worth it

MS250 and Zeff like this.
  3. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes, well worth and then plan on keeping it. Don’t flip a short time down the road that’s when you screw yourself.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The Cauley car is probably worth it; it has impeccable records; the continental not so much it’s basically worth close to the auction one I shared at 99k. Nothing special.
    The Cauley one, well as Blkdiablo33 will tel u comes with the prized red book;) Jokes aside it has a lot of records so might me worth negotiating and their sales rep is lovey;) Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkdiablo33 and Parnelli like this.
  5. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes that was one the one I was referring too. Offer them 115k to Cauley. If u flip down the road short term you’ll likely end up like this gentleman. But if you plan on keeping for a long time who cares.
    • Purchased my TR at Barrett Jackson auction for $80k ($88k with buyers premium). At the time, I felt it was an ok price given where TRs were trading at before
    • Before bidding, I gave myself a "budget" of $20k to sort out any issues since I had no PPI and service records
    • Upon possession of the car, I sent it in for an immediate engine out major service. While the engine was out, we found other issues around the exhaust, ECU, wiring harness, electrical, brakes, etc. Anyways the final bill was around $25k
    • A couple months after my major, the fuse box (known problem) gave way. That was over a thousand dollars to fix
    • My TR had a similar steering wheel as the one you pictured. If you want an OEM original, budget at least $2.5k+ for one (if you can find it). It took me several months and I ended up paying $3k for one
    • I don't see pictures of the upper dash, but the leather starts shrinking and the dash pod will start warping. It cost me over $3k to purchase a new pod and correct all the stretching leather.
    • Know that parts are becoming harder to find, and starting to get really expensive. In addition to the above, I probably spent $5k+ on other miscellaneous items
    • I am super anal and wanted the car back to original (which most of the market wants). As such, I probably spent more than I should/could have
    • In the back of my mind, I always feared about the differential (another known problem). After spending what I spent on repairs, and knowing about the looming differential, I finally decided to move on to another Ferrari
    Back in Q2/Q3 of 2018, this is what I saw and experienced with the TR market when I sold mine:
    • Most trade in values were around $60k-$65k
    • The highest offer I got on the car (non trade in) was $78k. (Remember that I already had done a major on the car with all receipts)
    • I finally traded the TR in for $70k at a Ferrari dealership and picked up a 599
    So after all this, you can see and do the math from above. I don't regret buying and fixing/repairing the TR, however I don't need to experience it again :). I met a lot of great guys on the TR section while fixing up the car. Also the TR was fun to drive and gets more attention than my F430 and 599. Even if you are handy (which I am moderately handy), double your repair budget to be safe. Good luck on the search. My TR was red and yellow is what everyone has said above.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Oh yes we know the guy. He bought the wrong car that’s for sure; he hadn’t done his due dilligence. His car ended up in Florida if im not mistaken.

Zeff likes this.
  7. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I’m not faulting him. It sounds like he got the car all dialed in and then decided or changed his mind about keeping it. The next guy got a good car. But we see this happening all the time don’t we. I hate to see good people do this. But I’m sure the next buyer appreciated his efforts to make the car right.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Well the car still
    Had 2 mirrors last I saw it on EBAY; I think it ended up a big hassle and ruine is enjoyment vs a well sorted car.
    There is a thread going about depreciation of classics on fchat right now and some younger folks are pretty much saying they would rather get a m5 a McLaren than spend so much time with a classic in a shop; that has less performance etc...
    I personally like the chase for parts, and chatting with mechanics etc... plus the new cars...wait till u change just the ceramic brakes... crazy $$$

xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  9. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #2859 Zeff, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    In all honesty that’s great news to people like us. I don’t want everyone chasing these cars down. You literally couldn’t give me an m5 or a mclaren. No value retention on either one and the mclaren good luck with the huge huge depreciation and lack of dependability. No thanks and the bmw would be as exciting as watching paint dry. Everyone has one it seems. If not an m5 there are tons and tons of bmws driving around. It certainly wouldn’t give you any kind of special feeling driving one. Would be a good daily driver I would just beat the crap out of it because I would know in the back of my mind it is a pos. That’s my opinion and how I feel about it. I’m glad most people don’t think like me. Maybe the prices for the tr will remain stable then. I don’t pay any attention to what others prefer new vs old. Prefers mclaren and bmw over tr. It’s not about them, it’s about what I want, I could care less about others desires. I see many people make huge financial mistakes/costly which I don’t make either. It doesnt make it right or wrong but it’s my way.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed. It’s a good read that thread; I think it was started by themaven whom I believe has 512m he bought in Spain and his car is feature in this article:
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/classic-car-investment-ferrari-testarossa

The prices of the tr in England in 2015 were crazy and I believe this article also
    Talked about flipping it for a profit or not. Good fun!

Zeff likes this.
  11. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Remember too most importantly. This car (testarossa) is fulfilling a dream and is transporting me back in time every day that I see it and most importantly when I drive it and experience it in all its glory. It reminds me of the best times of my childhood and it gives me positive emotions/feelings today (present day). It represents all of who I am in one car. That is why no other car will do. That is why I will likely never sell it.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen to ur wisdom;)

blkdiablo33 and Zeff like this.
  13. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nat- glad to see youre seriously back in the market. I cant wait to see what you end up with!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

It will have 12 cylinders;)

15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    But will it have a red head?!

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Best car ever so yes, must be;)

17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    feel sorry for the dealer nat gonna beat them up kidding

18. Natkingcolebasket69

I’m going to use parnelli as my middle man, trust me the man is even more brutal than me or I can use feralc as well; we probably exchanged 200 texts before selling the car so I am in good company there;)

ferralc and WestCoasta like this.
  19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    oh my lol

20. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I'm not brutal in negotiations.....I am "strategic" :)

There IS a difference :)

21. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    BTW, I still think that u should use the strategy that I proposed to you last night with those clowns at Continental

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes I’m going to try lol;)

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Reserve not met at 119k for red512tr on BaT...nice potential but who doesn’t keep
    Any records in 17 years though?!

24. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I wouldn’t consider a higher mileage car with no records. Thats just irresponsible ownership. Will cost a fortune to figure out after the fact what was deferred.

25. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My car came with some records, and I still had problems. The records showed that the transmission was rebuilt and the spline shaft was replace. The car drove and shifted great, but after driving her for a couple for hundred miles began hearing whining noise from the differential, and to make a long story short, had to pull the motor and redo the tranny. They had rebuilt the transmission but the nut on the spline shaft was improperly torqued, using wrong shims. etc. The good news was that they had installed a 512m carrier in the diff. It has been an expensive and time consuming PIA to get it back on the road. So when you buy a 30 year old car, deferred maintenance and competent maintenance is important. Its a crap shoot either way. And yes my car has 41,000 miles on it.

BOKE, sinkman, Zeff and 3 others like this.