Testarossa Price Trends | Page 119 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I appreciate your offer to share the info, but for me it would not mean much. You see, even though I provided some data of recent transactions, to me when buying these cars, data is meaningless on a stand alone basis. To adequately evaluate the data, I am a firm believer that one also needs to physically see the car that is associated with such data. One without the other is meaningless. That is when people get into trouble buying these cars. Consequently, many times I find it rather comical when people discuss pricing, auction results, various pricing indices, etc. Hagerty index, black book, Kelly blue book, etc - all these and any other index is a joke. These cars don’t trade like commodities, no two are the same. One gains knowledge on market pricing and condition by being directly involved in deals AND seeing many cars to compare against. This takes many years to gather this knowledge and even then, one needs to have an open mind and realize that you can never stop learning about these cars and the marketplace.

Nevertheless, I went ahead and posted some dealer data points to try and help the community out. I am in no way trying to imply that your data is not real world - perhaps the word “real” was not the wisest choice of words. My intent was merely to share a few private data points, but as I said up above, people should use the information not as gospel, but simply another reference point. And if anyone has seen or has first hand knowledge of any of the cars I sold, then it can perhaps be a little more “solid” data.

sherrillt and Parnelli like this.
  2. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    You are only viewing it from one data point then: your own. One can’t be in all places at once so it’s impossible to see all cars for sale. Therefore, your viewpoint is no more or no less valid than anyone else’s i.e. it’s a guide as they all are. Similarly, the market price is what one person is prepared to pay for a vehicle on the day it is bought. There really isn’t a definitive market price because there are too many variables as you say. Keep posting. The more data points, the more robust it is.

Natkingcolebasket69 and JPMD like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

He reminds me of this guy on BAT who claimed he had access to the perfec prices and was working with. Insurances etc ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay R likes this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

5. Natkingcolebasket69

FYI we are directly involved in deals bought and sold trs over the years and help facilitate now a few sales. Your data points are welcome and recorded; vins would be appreciated to corroborate as I try to keep a vin for each sales. So it’s not like we are « just » fantasizing, looking at cars’pictures and sales and making up some basic statistical models. Most people here either have owned a TR or own one and are actively trying to gauge value.
    Of course to each his own; and market has outliers but with quite a few sales recorded we can get a sense of what a car is worth in specific, mileage , color combo and also tell that those cars that sold at barret Jackson for a high price this year well, guess what, they are still on the same dealer lot because they were over priced (see fusionmotors in la with that 86).;)

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Don’t know about that... mine has 16,000 miles as a second owner. This car rarely gets driven... last guy did the same...

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I would call that a low mileage car , some may even call it a garage queen :p... but 37,000 miles is not something to classify high mileage by any stretch that’s 33 yrs old.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

I think the fact that so many testarossa end up bat shows that the market is not that strong. I mean people by low have seen what they bring on bat and still put them on there so either they think theirs is different OR they would be happy getting that dollar values other have fetched. My opinion of course

9. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

And yet, on the other hand, other Ferrari owners like the Testarossa as a classic car - as does the public.
    Two of my friends both were looking for a Testarossa - one bought an F430 and the other drove his F355 (the Countach got too hot in the summer weather).
    I just did the Okanagan Dream Rally and the car had a lot of interest from the public as well as my co-pilot.
    Had another fellow who has his 488 Italia up for sale and he said he would trade "straight-across" for a Testarossa.

I have to tell you, after three hours driving the car on the highway, when I got out, my arms didn't hurt, my back wasn't stiff, my knees didn't ache.

So, if you want ABS, power-steering, automatic transmission, GPS....then the Testarossa is not the car and maybe that contributes to its weak market showing.

But for sheer driving enjoyment on bending highways as a GT car, with the power behind it, I can't think of a better choice.

turbo-joe, Zeff and Shamile like this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m fine with the TR at $100k +/- $20k. It used to be much less and I expect within ten years for it to be a lot more. In the meantime its a great driver and the looks are unbeatable.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

There is no question that the 2 best bank for 100k is the tr as a classic and probably the FF as a modern car.
    The TR suffers from lack of luxury, bad rep for maintenance and people perceiving it as slow which it isn’t really. I think it is at a stable price:100k good example with 25-30k miles. 125 for a low miles ones. It has been the story for the past 2 years now.
    It’s a show stopper a beautiful car , last flat 12, manual etc. Great car!

turbo-joe, xplodee and Gary Sandberg like this.
  12. Gary Sandberg

I really think that a lot of the maintenance is a bit of a red-herring. Engine-out service was done on my car late 2017 - on the order of $6000 CDN (when I correct for new rims, plug wires, etc), so approx. $4000 USD. Not really knowing the car before the rally (only physically had for three weeks), on the drive up to Kelowna, the rally itself and run home - no issues. I was worried about oil temp and pressure as well as water temp but everything was in spec. The oil color looks like it was just put in.
    I've put 2000 km on the car since I bought it and have no concerns.
    Glad I bought it now before I couldn't afford it.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

If it has been always maintained it shouldn’t be a killer price wise u are correct
    The best time to have bought them must have been 10-13; the worst 15-17...now I think they be high again in a few years but for now they are stable

14. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The maintenance really isn’t all that bad as long as you keep up on it. Don’t run and never service or negligent the car and I believe you will be fine. You will see once you have owned the car for a while and develop a good relationship with your mechanic

xplodee likes this.
  15. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I love these cars for their very unique styling. I want to drive one of these cars only as they were back in the 1980s and 1990s. The 1980s and 1990s were a memorable and special period in my life. The testarossa, countachs were probably the two most outrageous and iconic cars of that period of time. To own one, drive one, brings me as close as I can, back to what that period of time looked like and felt like. I don’t need or want 1000hp testarossa with power steering, etc etc. I just want it as it was. It was a perfect car at that time and still is. If I need a new car I’ll get another one. That’s not what I need or want. I haven’t found any new cars with as good of styling as the testarossa and may never. I always get excited when I see a testarossa, countach, diablo, Porsche 930 at a car event. That level of excitement is difficult to experience from the new cars of today.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Have u done it major since u got urs? Can’t Rmbr?

17. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    No, Juan talked me out of it. He did all the fluids and went over the car and said wait a year. I told him I wanted to do it sooner than that. I decided to wait until after the Monterey event this month because I wanted to make sure the car would be available for me to bring there.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

He is a good guy, reasonably priced too!

Zeff likes this.
  19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Please share when you do have the major done. We can all advise, comment, and critique any work your tech suggests! Haha

turbo-joe and Zeff like this.
  20. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    You have a friend who would trade his 488 “straight-across” for a testarossa? I understand at some point they’ll be the same money but right now?
    Can I have His contact info? I have a Testarossa ;)

21. Gary Sandberg

Oops, sorry my bad, slight typo. Didn't check closely enough. Was a 458 Italia, not a 488. The fun part though is that he was behind me for most of the rally.

On the service side, as above, check the fluids. If the level's are good and the gauges show good, then everthing else should be good.

I can't believe that I put slightly more that 2,000 km on a car that I have ownly had in my possesion for about 3 wks, reached speed of approx. 155 - 160 mph, and yes had some concerns as the ambient temp was in the range of 84 - 90 F and I had not much prior knowledge of the car!! But no problems!!!!! I love this car!!!!!!

Most important thing is to drive the car. Keep the seals lubricated, tires from developing flat spots, etc.

turbo-joe and Zeff like this.
  22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    People haven’t realized how cost effective the TR really is ...

When the new super cars are plentiful and people start seeing what it costs to change those carbon fibre breaks etc .... the TR will be a bargain.

To some extent we see the 360/430 pricing already .... and those are still relatively new. Wait when they get 30 yrs old and older. They will be a treat to repair.

The TR is the last affordable 12 banger with F1 heritage that was still somewhat hand made and not mass produced by today’s standard.

23. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It was entirely hand made

24. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Well, it was the first full world wide production car .... I was comparing to the cars previous like the BB and Daytona. The TR by then was a little more production ish :)