Testarossa Price Trends | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #26 finnerty, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
    That's why I bought it when I did ---- 2 years ago ;).....a $240K car for $75K after being only 8 years old ---- hell yes!! Let someone else eat the $165K loss....

TR owners should count their blessings ---- their $120K car has only depreciated down to say, $40K after 20+ years? That's about the same percentage of loss (but much less actual $$$) over a far longer time period.

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #27 finnerty, Dec 11, 2010
    I get it ---- you like the TR :)

Name one major Ferrari collection that has a (modern) TR in it. Or, name one major collector that is scratching his head and saying, "Man, I really wish I could get my hands on a TR".

3. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The prices have been dropping like a rock. I am considering a few options and the TR has ALWAYS been a car that I wanted to own but never have. Many of them have lower asking prices than many 308s (still can't figure out where some of these 308 owners asking prices are coming from) and they are lower than even more 308 prices.

Not a good time if you are a 348 or TR owner and looking to sell. However, if you are looking to buy..... ;-)

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Nothing looks like a TR. I say that all the time when there is neg. comments. I enjoy mine and love driving it. If you have never owned one you should. They make a lot of neat sounds.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    250's and 275's were not considered collectable at 20 years old either. Nor did any major or minor collection give them a second thought. It is just the Ferrari cycle. TR's might be someday, especially with the attrition rate but who knows?

Anyone buying cars as investments needs their head examined.

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe Enzo said a proper Ferrari was a FRONT engined V-12.
    It's a moot point either way, as long as it's a V-12, who cares.

7. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I plan to purchase a flying mirror by the end of 2011. At these prices I can't look the other way anymore. Such an iconic car.

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Enzo married the 12 cylinder.. The TR will be collectible one day.. I really don't care either way.. I drive it and thoroughly enjoy the car.. No regrets or wishful thinking.. Enzo real wife was his mistress.. His first love was the cars he was building.. Especially the 12 cylinders..

R

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day R,

In late '82 I picked up a car magazine that featured a 250 GTO for about $300K... and I, too, asked (actually begged) my parents to get a loan for me... ah to be so wide-eyed :) ... I think maybe myself scarce that day after the look I got...

Cheers,

Sam

10. johnnyhotrocks

Aug 26, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    John U.
    one day we will all look back and say "remember when you could get a TR for under 40 grand!!! should have bought two!"......guaranteed!

Natkingcolebasket69 and Adam72 like this.
  11. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    +10000 and let me add, TR gets the same look as any other Ferrari and you don't have to pay 300K for it. Usually when I drive her out, I become a celeb. She still gets ton of attention from grandpa to the little kid. First you buy this car becuase you love it, not becuase it will go up. 2nd reason, you have to drive it. Nothing like her long legs...

12. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I love everything about my Testarossa. The looks are amazing, the sounds are deafening, the smells are intoxicating and the feeling I get from driving it are boarderline spiritual. I don't have any financial investments that I can say that about.

These are a lot of car for the money when new and even now. I was talking to someone today that reminded me that these cars were selling for $40k over list price when new and had a 2 year waiting list back in the 80's.

Too bad Testarossa repair and maintenance prices aren't sinking in relation to car values. Just wait until someone with a $40k TR finds out what a engine out belt service costs every few years.

13. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Just got back from a TR drive (may be the last of the year) Stop at gas station. A 20 something year old cant get enough of the car, lots of questions, took pics, he is freaking out. Next stop grocery store. Came out and two cars (xmas trees tied to roofs) by mine with people out circling the car. More questions. Driving home three kids riding skateboards, they stop immediately. All I can see is ther expresions. They are all saying WOW. The TR is an iconic automobile and stops people in thier tracks. Current value ... priceless...Mine is NOT FOR SALE

peteficarra likes this.
  14. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    At one time in the '70s Daytonas were quite cheap, so I read.

Testarossas will bounce back. No doubt the horrendous costs of upkeep (high even by Ferrari standards) are a bit part of this, especially for the buyer that can't buy 10 Ferraris without batting an eye. Removing the engine to change the spark plugs, having 48 valves to adjust? Tranmission problems for cars that are driven hard? It's not a poor man's car to maintain. :eek:

15. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Hypothetically speaking....if Ferrari suddenly reduce the cost of TR parts by 75% do you feel the price of the cars would increase dramatically?

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #42 Rifledriver, Dec 11, 2010
    I service Ferrari for a living. FYI 355's are more costly to operate.

And since when do you pull a motor to change plugs?

How often do you think I have adjusted 48 valves (Those are done in the car too) ?

Never is the answer to the last.

Trans problems when driven hard? You just described every Ferrari ever made and most American performance cars too. BTW I have rebuilt more blown up 911 transaxles than TR transaxles and I am not a Porsche mechanic.

The real problem with these cars is people on the internet talking as though they had a clue.

18. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    You´re right, Enzo liked front engined V12.
    They started mid engined V12 because of the Lamborghini Miura...

19. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    Do it! Youn won´t regret that! It´s just a great car!
    I bought mine 2 years ago , did the cambelts at home with a friend!!
    Removing the engine is easy and it´s a joy to work on it!!
    I don´t care if the price goes up or down , it is my dream car!!

Buy it , drive it , enjoy all the moments behind the wheel!!

20. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    This is what I call pride of ownership of a Testarossa :) priceless... 10000+

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #46 AHudson, Dec 11, 2010
    That is an awesome story. Interestingly enough, I had a similar day in the car.

I had been invited to go to some car show that benefitted Toys for Tots. It was put on the by the Chevrolet Performance Club, supported by the Mustang Club, etc etc, you get the picture. I'm in Alabama.

Anyway, the Ford folk invited me to bring the Pantera. Since I'd been driving that this week, but hadn't had the TR out in a while, I took it. What the hey, are they gonna turn me away? Was greeted with open arms, they made a spot for me.

The questions and interest were relentless. I took pictures of young, old, girls, boys in the car off and on for a few hours. They ate it up. "How fast?" "How many cylinders?", and even the occasional but rude, 'How much?" (which I never answer).

Ended up 'winning' the show, whatever that means. But the point is that people LOVE this car. They can't believe the look, the design, and that that this is a competent people carrier of some interplanetary descent. Long live the TR. We ain't gonna see another one like it in our lifetime, if ever.

22. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Add me to this list for today. Musta been a good karma day for Tr's. From the state trooper that pulled me over to a car load of 20 somethings to a couple of groups of kids and parents outside a strip mall, I got more compliments on the car than I typically do in a day.

BTW the trooper let me off with a verbal 'slow down' warning and a 'nice car' compliment. :)

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Especially if they keep building turds like the California................................

24. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    Indeed.

25. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Cool stories guys.

Today my sons friend (8) comes up the driveway with my TR outside and is like "wow, cool car!". Then he proceeds to tell me what would make it better...ready?....

Paint some flames over the hood and top of the car...

Um....NO! But, I get it, I was 8 once.

:D