Testarossa Price Trends | Page 253 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Anecdotally, it seems like many of the cars I follow on BaT are described as TMU - I always thought there was some sort of legal-CYA reason on the part of BaT, like how everything there is described with phrases like "...is said to have", rather then speaking in absolutes. I figured that's why they listed it as TMU more than because of an odometer swap that apparently was carried out correctly and with documentation.

I could be completely wrong, it just seems like so many cars I watch there, mostly 20-40 year old European cars (Porsches, Ferraris, etc.) are described as TMU, then again I don't check all of them.

2. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    (1) In California once a car is older than 10 years old you no longer have to attest to the accuracy of the odometer upon transfer. So if you miss a check box it can be TMU without any intention of doing so.
    (2) Year in EU is typically listed as same year as first registration. It's how you have cars like this (https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1996-ferrari-512-tr)
    (3) @ttforcefed I'm not sure how Gearbox number and body number may line up. In 1991 the factory actually produced late-run Testarossas alongside the 512TR. I wonder what the "maximum" Gearbox number is, but if its greater than 2,261 that might explain the high-gearbox number yet being one of the "1,381" batch of Pininfarina bodies. Otherwise I'm really not sure!

3. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    My Swiss model #97504 is trans N1923 and an earlier (Pininfarina) body.
    Not yet sure what the build date was (car not yet in the US).

The BaT car was N1925 and earlier body.

Believe there was at least one even later VIN posted in another thread here that had the Pininfarina body... looks like that was @Auraraptor with #97598 and trans N1963.

4. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    N2279 is the highest I've seen, VIN #99319

5. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    btw @MITengineer, I was going to support you on the BaT auction about the number of ABS cars, but it seemed the seller was already getting rather upset.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yup, that’s my car. As mentioned, there are very few US 94s (which mostly were 93 early 94 production dates), with very slow sales and several cars just sitting in dealer lots.

7. MITengineer

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    These serial numbers and ABS equipment makes sense (since ABS came before the body switch). The Gearbox numbers are the perplexing item (e.g. gearbox numbers appear much higher than the body number would imply). My VIN is shortly after this batch 97691 and made in late 1993, but has the newer body and ABS. Are there any examples of a new-body vehicle without ABS (I don't think this can be the case).

8. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Sorry but TMU means there is a proven odometer discrepancy or rollback, now a car older than 10 years old just means the milage is not guaranteed, it does not mean there is a proven discrepancy or rollback, there is a big difference between the two and I see so many people giving false info to sugar coat the truth.

https://www.californiaconsumerattorneys.com/odometer-rollbacktmu

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ferrari would make the gearboxes in batches from a given subcontractor, perhaps that could be the source of confusion?

I have not seen any but my sample size is small.

This is an earlier Canada spec car with ABS (per the add): ZFFLM40A8R0097271
    https://www.atlantismotorgroup.ca/vehicles/44/1994-ferrari-512-tr-sold-thank-you

PS My car is a 7/93 production

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My vin is ZFFLG40A9R0097027 and i have ABS

ChipG likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Internal parts were from subcontractors but I believe TR gearboxes were built in house. Pretty sure that applied to all transaxles prior to 550/360. Most front gearboxes at least from 250 up to 365 were purchased outright.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Remember cars are not always assembled in order of VIN.

V4NG0 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  13. MITengineer

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    Would be interesting to see what gearbox numbers some of the higher VINs have. Regardless is there any information of a "square badge" (non-Pininfarina body) car not having ABS or one of the newer Differentials?

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never paid attention to ABS but I'd be surprised if all had the differentials.

15. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    #6315 ChipG, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    I have to voice the truth, so many dealers and private individuals have miss-represented the truth over the years to pawn off their car(s) with some excuse that sounds plausible to make up for TMU.

Being on a public form, I have to say it, TMU always has some excuse that has never been what a seller said. It's an excuse to lie about FRAUD, HELLO WORLD...

Anyone want to challenge me and the laws about TMU, or a vehicle being older than 10 years not guaranteed by mileage? Or the difference between the two?

I'm just saying this to protect our community and future purchasers from lies and fraud and I'm not going to name website domains but it's everywhere with cars from the 90's and older...

TMU is 100% odometer fraud in the USA

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    there should be a sticky (or mandatory) thread about TMU vs other odometer / age milage laws here just to protect people.

17. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I usually just talk in generalities unlike some of you guys with way more tech knowledge. Remember a few years back when an authorized Ferrari dealer was caught with their pants down re-calibrating a La Ferrari. For whatever reason they defended this action, they did it. $$$$$. Way too much emphasis is on mileage. I have said this before that I laugh at all the low mileage BB's. Show me a BB whose odometer even works all the time let alone easily turned back. Value should be more on condition and true mileage is reflected in sevice receipts. Now on VIN#'s. I owned vin number 97545. A Ferrari designated 94. The build date was 93. At a Nationals a member was giving me serious **** that my 512TR was not a 94. He was not aware that Ferrari adopted our method of build dates and model year. I now happily own VIN# 50599.

ChipG likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My car is a 94 model year, built in may 2013.

Auraraptor likes this.
  19. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Market Navigation
    Food for thought
    This is a quote from a Hagerty expert.

How does one negotiate today’s market? Well, speaking for myself, I treat it the same way I always have: I review my collection and decide if there are any cars the market values higher than I do. If so, and if I determine I can live without them, I think about selling.

If there is a car I want to own, I make a similar calculation. Do I value it as much or more than the market does currently? If the answer is yes, and I don’t think I can’t live without it, I buy. As with anything in life, if you’re generally OK with the price of poker, then sit down, Player, and have some fun.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Same general rule in Texas, over 10 years old and you can have your title say "Mileage Exempt". I chose to do this on my Ford GT which has a replacement odometer display (a knucke head prior owner jumped the car incorrectly and blew out every gauge and light on the panel) just to eliminate any future questions.

You might also go TMU if you replaced an engine with a used one of unknown mileage.....real common in the classic Corvette world.

Nothing nefarious going on....

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hmmm...hope your flux capacitor is in good shape

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol same as saying you need oxygen to survive

23. ttforcefed