Testarossa Price Trends | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #51 Spasso, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. tubbs

tubbs Rookie

Jan 22, 2011
    Hi there I am new to the forum and am based in the uk, just wanted to respond to the original point about the ebay TR prices. Something that I have noticed over here in old blighty is that dealers are relentlessly advertising with "buy it now" on a few Testarossa's. I have just bought my car but contacted three seperate dealers previous which were selling their cars via ebay, only thing when I phoned they were ALL sold, next month all three are back on ebay for sale "buy it now", phoned again to see if people had dropped out etc, No ALL three were sold. They told me they could take my details and source me another car if and when they found one. Guess what one of the cars that I was told was sold was still for sale some three months later, if I checked now, proabably still is. Think about how many possible customers they now have on their books!! the cars were cheap, we phoned up and now on their lists. Not sure I would use ebay as a guide to anything really, the prices people "actually" pay when they turn up to buy the car I am sure is very different from the one shown on the screen. Testarossa prices here in the UK are reasonably strong for the right car, for example there is a car for sale at present in the UK with some 989 miles, absolutely perfect order etc at £95,000 and another with 1,400 miles for £75,000. I noticed that when these two came onto the market after the summer of 2010 a number of cars in the £30,000 bracket moved a little higher toward late 30's touching 40K, its steady here, it will go up properly in the UK of that I am sure. 7-8 years ago a good Countach was £30-40K UK, the same car, if you can find one is £80k minimum and some are £100k + and Rossa's were still £30-40k 7-8 years ago.
    I reckon we disregard ebay's valuation of our pride and joy, its good for buying some ones old sneakers, not so sure about the reality of buying a supercar.

3. notenuphstuph

notenuphstuph Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
    Well put, I could'nt agree more. ;)

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Welcome to the board and a big "FREEZE...MIAMI VICE !" to ya.. :D

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

5. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ................................................................................................I think you hit the nail on the head with the Ebay thing , its more like a game or a sham with these guys , they list the car then tell everyone its sold , but its not , just trying to drive up the prices , then 6 months later its relisted , i guess they don`t think about the people who constantly check the auctions , Or , they list a car , then have a bunch of friends or associates bid on the car till it meets the price, hopeing or counting on a real bidder to up the anty just a bit to make a real sale , well most people are smarter than that , its not TR prices are low right now everycar out there is at a low right now , I see 850 BMW `s go for $3k , i see 90`s Corvettes going for under$ 5k , i am not saying they are in the same league but its just if you want it to sell ,you have to give it away!

6. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    I think the OP is spot on as to trends & pricing.

Not that it is a traditional venue for dictating Fcar prices, but a TR went for $47K this week at BJ in Scottsdale.

A good time to buy one if that's the car for you.

Cheers

7. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    The Testarossa does NOT have a V12......It has a Flat 12/Horizonally opposed configuration.......

Sorry I could not help myself from chiming in!!

Your attention please! Me

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #58 Melvok, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Testarossa reached as high a $300,000 during the Ferrari days after Enzo passed away. At the end of their run the car was $181,000 out the door, thats some jump from 1986 at which they were $120,000 or so.

I remember asking my father to get a 288GTO that had jump from like $84k to $125k, but soon after they had asking prices at over one million, I think one sold at $1.1M or more!!!

10. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    I think you yanks are short selling yourselves. I am from Australia and travelled to the UK in 2007 to find a Testarossa for 25K pounds. I knocked one back at 27K pounds. By the time i got back to Australia prices were hovering at $32K. Now they're starting at $40K and increasing.

Australian prices have also increased.

So maybe it's the oversupply of LHD cars compared to the limited 480 odd right hand cars built. I am certainly hanging onto mine.

Same thing with Countach's. I have one of those too, and once again i cannot believe how cheaply you sell them over in the USA.

Either your economy is really bad and all wannabe rock stars are hocked to the hills and letting go of these cars cheaply, or you guys don't quite understand the global market.

The universe does not revolve around USA.

11. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Dean,

you are right. I see CT price list in the $180K and more in Europe. The interesting thing is they may not sell because the foreigners now seem to buy the US market. This situation will accelerate if the economy abroad recovers and the dollars keeps sinking further.
    I never understood such a huge gap between the foreign and US sales. Love to hear from a foreign global dealer abroad about that giant sucking sound on vintage cars.

12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    US CT are injected, Euro CT are carbed. Big difference in value.

13. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    This is getting off topic.

But i preferred to purchase an injected 88.5QV.

The last of the "original shape"

The most refined electrics, mechanicals and suspension.

Less maintenance and more reliability with the FI.

I think you may find that becoming an emerging trend.

I have spoken to many others that want the mod cons of the Anniversary but don't like the shape, so they end up buying an 88.5 FI.

I reckon in years to come the choise will be either an LP400 or LP400S or QV88.5FI

14. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Getting WAY off topic, but I sort of agree (I have an LP400S and LP5000S but want either an LP400 or an 88.5 DD-QV - seems everyone else does too). Injected is too civilized, quiet and slower, the TR is better for that kind of in town work.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #65 Spasso, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Not trying to bust your chops but,

Technically, the TR engine is classified (in the books) as a 180 degree V-12, meaning, a flat cylinder configuration (opposed) using the crankshaft of a V-12, different from a true boxer engine.

16. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #66 kerrywittig, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    "4.9 litre (4,943 cubic centimetres / 302 cubic inches) Ferrari Colombo flat-12 engine".......

Ferrari's earliest cars used engines designed by Gioacchino Colombo, who had formerly designed Alfa Romeos for Enzo Ferrari.

????? Me

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have seen this discussion a few times here during the last years...

And why do we fuss so much... do you drive any faster in a V-12 or a flat-twelve ...?

All non-sense to me, sorry !

This leads only to "yes" and "no" discussions ....

Please use your time for (more) technical options and solutions I would suggest !!!

18. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I side with no one..............both V and flat are kind of correct depending on how you look at it. I have read that the engine is not a true flat, but does have a small V to it.

Here it is:

"Ferrari made use of a flat-12 design in several models, including the Berlinetta Boxer, the Testarossa and its derivatives, such as the 512TR and the F512 M, although this engine design is technically a V12 that has been flattened down to a 180° configuration, and therefore cannot be regarded as a true boxer engine."

19. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #69 kerrywittig, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    From now on I will send all responses I have, as well as any questions to you for approval previous to posting. If you would also please forward me a list of acceptable topics to discuss it would be very much appreciated, Mr. Melvok. ;>)

Seeking permission Me

20. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Me, some days I drive a V12, others, I drive a flat 12 :D

Still polish the same car though...

21. notenuphstuph

notenuphstuph Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
    Same here...:)

22. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    And that last sentence should end, "... even though Ferrari called the model a Boxer."

That actually does clear it up, while it supports another of the wonderful quirky stories that makes Ferrari lore so interesting. Maybe we should just accept and not argue it out. So, let's discuss whether or not they're Supercars.

Back to the earlier topic, flat or V, the Testarossa is a buy. The 512TR an even better one.

Had a long talk with Dave Helms this morning and he hinted at 'a lot of untapped performance and reliability' for these cars. I can hardly wait. An Italian icon, gobs of performance, with more eyeball than a pickup truck full of hookers, these are bargain days.

We're all destined to say, "I remember when you could buy one for 'x'" and our grandkids will throw things at us for not doing so.

23. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Anyone been checking Testarossa prices on autotrader.co.uk.

Seems like testa prices are not sinking but actually increasing.

Then again, there were alot fewer RHD built than LHD.

Since purchasing my Testa from UK a few years go, i have seen prices almost double.

What is it with you yankee's?
    Times really that tough or are Testa's not flavour of the decade?

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It's the specter of buying a TR that is a victim of deferred maintenance (quite common) or one that has been abused with burnouts and track driving (not usually documented) fostering the possibility of the dreaded exploding differential or snapping input shaft under normal use by the unsuspecting purchaser, all of which can cost a major percentage of the purchase price of the car to repair..

It's easy to join the club but the dues could kill you.

25. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Now THAT'S quotable. Good one.