Testarossa Price Trends | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I don't see diablos being soft time to make a post Diablo prices sinking

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    The listings may be up, but they're not selling.
    The dealer, European Exotic Center is the official Koenigsegg dealer and service center. They only work on and sell high end exotics. Our conversation was that everything was soft and not moving.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The cars listed, where probably bought at 40-50k each. Looks like they are looking to double their investment. Which is fine.

Trouble is..with the internet, and people knowing there was a bubble, they will not buy at those numbers. It' hard to justify spending over 100k on a car when just a few short years ago they could be bought for less then half of that.

The internet has killed collector car values. Obviously the super rare and cars like the 250gto have taken on a life of their own..but for the run of the mill exotic..at the moment it' a tough game to be in.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Shamile like this.
  4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I will also say that the internet is the great equalizer. You don't have to be left in the dark or sold a "Bill of goods" anymore. We all know the average pricing and we know the vehicle history is juat a Google search away.

It's just supply and demand. Right now, there's too much suppy....of the modern stuff at least

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Melvok and tbakowsky like this.
  5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    heres an example 98 diablo sv 2013 selling for 90/120s diablo 6.0 130/160s now there double for 5 years now trs are an amazing buy at 100k when u buy the cheapest exotic its gonna be the most expensive one when your done

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I agree shamile theres too many for sale and not enough buyers when supply is down prices will go up just like housing

Shamile likes this.
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I disagree. Everybody needs a place to live. However, a collector car is a want. Not a need. The car just is not there yet value wise. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure it will ever get there.

Cars have move so far forward so fast, I fear the cars we love and save, could end up being worthless within 20 years. With all the crap about fuel and emissions, it would not surprise me at all that gas powered cars may eventually be outlawed.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    When the horse and buggy were replaced by the automobile, it was said that it would be then end of the horse. Well, it was for transportation but there are more horses now for recreational purposes them there were horse back then.
    Yes, cars may be battery powered bubbles one day, but cars as collectibles will still be there. Given the penalty in value for miles driven...and you can drive it now, I don't think not being able to drive them except at special venues will hurt them.

For me, cars are artwork. Given that a Testarossa is an antiquated dinosaur by modern Ferrari standards, why does anyone here own one?

.....because we desire them!

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I just want another diablo soon but not current asking prices I expect to pay more before the price increases but not double at end of the day I bought my cars to enjoy my home is my investment .were all lucky to own one and the future buyers will be too

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Diablo is the car to buy at the moment. Along with lotus.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The white one listed by RRS in the bay was bought for 50k a few years back indeed based on research. The dealership/owner got it for 100k or so and try to immediately sell it for 145k
    But as u said the internet is the great equalizer;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    But it looks like a pickup truck. You could almost put a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the engine lid and bring it home from The Home Depot.

thorn likes this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Exactly why it will go up in value!! Name another exotic that could haul a 4×8 with such style?..lol

Newman likes this.
  14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I think Newman has been living in the wilderness of Canada for too long lol ;)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Newman likes this.
  15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What model Lotus specifically. Im guessing Esprit 1994 to 2002?

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder a little about the title of this thread here:
    testarossa prices sinking
    robbie started this thread on dec. 9. 2010 and at that time you could buy a testarossa for about 40k. today you have to pay double the price, even more, so the prices are raising, not sinking

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Any year esprit. Although not the most reliable cars, they are a good bang for the buck at the moment. It seems the v8 cars have less of a following then the 4 bangers.

18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Well, this car is no longer listed so I assume it sold in a week. Now we know the price it takes for a quick sale in Europe.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    howie what do you think of the 575s as investments. I saw you mention the diablo and the lotus. The 575s there's only 2000 and less than 600 in the US. First non manual v12, fairly cheap maintenance costs in my experience, and just a beautiful car inside/out. They're really cheap now, there's still a couple sub $100k which I think is too cheap for such a cool car and there's really hardly any in the US.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Both the 550 and 575 are aweome cars. I have a real love for those. Perhaps my favorite Ferrari, defiantly in the top 5 for sure.

As far as value goes..unfortunatly it suffers from the "carry over syndrome". By that I mean, to the unknowing eye, it looks almost identical to the 550 which makes it difficult for it to command a premium price over 550. However, there were a ton of improvements made to the 575 which makes it different under the skin.

Also the fact the .most of them where equipped with the f1 system, makes them a bit less desirable due to the potential maintenance costs. The 6 speed 575 will always command a premium over the f1 cars.

Both the 550 and 575 where commanding huge money not too long ago. I had a customer of mine sell his at the height of the frenzy for 245k. They have taken one of the largest hits in value.

I agree they should be worth more then they are, but the market for some reason says different. As an investment, at this point in time, I would say drive and enjoy the car and be extremely happy you ha e one of Ferrari's finest in your garage.

21. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    9800 mile 512 TR, asking 130,000 Euros ($155,000 USD)

Belt Service done at Ferrari Luxembourg. (Doesn't say when it was done.)

Just one quirk. It has 512M tail lights.

I still can't believe the spread in asking prices between Europe and US. There's barely a 512 TR offered below $200K USD regardless of mileage. Cheapest on FML is $220,000 and it has 16,000 miles. Least expensive on Autotrader is about $189,000.

https://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/ferrari-f-512-4-9i-tr-strassen/262024088.html

22. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Doesn't seem like a quirk to me as much as it seems like that car got rear-ended and fixed with whatever was available. I can't imagine someone CHOOSING the 512m rear look. :)

23. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Yes, of course a possibility. But Europeans do have some strange tastes. I would never do that, but I have no problem with that rear end. See my history of rear ends thread here, it IS safe for work:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rear-ends-from-365-bb-to-512m.573786/

24. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I have a friend that put 512M rear lights on his 512 TR....yes, the guilty shall remain un named ;) lol

No modifications to the body work. They slip into position with added mounting points.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

25. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    Slipping into position on the rear...

... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shamile likes this.