Testarossa Price Trends | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If you dont mind me asking, what did you buy into the car at?

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Bought at auction for $80k with an additional $8k buyers premium. At first I thought I had a good deal at $88k, but as other have said...

I even factored $20k into my budget/bidding for repairs and service.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thats was gutsy of u though! U live and u learn;)
    Sourcing parts can be a pain...or so overpriced! I rmbr when i was looking for a headlight stock...
    But that being said looks wise nothing is nicer than a tr or 512 to me...and the performance are still decent!oh and that noise makes it easier to swallow the maintenance.
    That being said its the sourcing that’s annoying because all and all its not that bad...
    I was looking at a scuderia the other day; overall maintenance is cheap but those brakes and insurance are a killer;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yep! Frustrating for sure but I don't regret the overall experience.

Speaking about prices sinking, I have been trying to trade the TR in for a 458. I know I cannot get what I put into it, but if I could get near $115k for it, I would be out. I might have to enjoy the TR for a little longer.

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    To add to this thread...

I just received my 1987 TR with two long-term owners (15 years each) and one owner in between for less than a year. The last owner had owned the car since 2001 and the car came with a binder full of receipts from his ownership and the short-term owner. The original owner's records and history are missing, but this doesn't concern me considering the depth of history provided.

It has 28,000 miles on it and had a documented $15k service performed in 2012 making it about six years out thus requiring a service. The interior has been redone and is flawless and the paint is original and is 9/10 with a shine that beats any modern car I have in my possession. The car drives wonderfully and is strong. There are definitely some interior function related issues that I'll be sorting out such trim that needs to be tightened up and interior lights that are not turning on when the car is open, another is the shoulder belts don't retract.

The car comes with Italian made (cast into the wheel) aftermarket wheels measuring 17x8 and 17x10". These wheels have a slightly improved offset over the original wheels and fill out the fender flares incredibly. I am ecstatic about these wheels because I have NEVER seen them before and because they look remarkably similar to the OEM wheels but allow me to fit much nicer and CHEAPER rubber onto the car. I can always buy a set of factory 16" metric wheels to sell with the car just to play it safe. The cost of those wheels would be cheaper than outfitting them with tires!

Since I know most of you really just want to know price, I paid $96k for the car and I am very very pleased with the price even despite the service not being performed yet. I have a private shop nearby me and we will perform the service on our own next Spring.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Untitled by Tim Marks, on Flickr

VColin, blkdiablo33 and Shamile like this.
  6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Xplodee, thanks for sharing and your TR looks great. $96k + $15k service would peg it around $111k, which is around the ballpark discussed for a sorted out TR. BTW, this forum and members have been a great resource during my ownership.

How did you purchase your TR, private party, dealer, or auction?

7. Natkingcolebasket69

For a trade on my tr ferrari of sf was giving me 85... i passed;)

8. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s a lot but good for u, enjoy!

9. Natkingcolebasket69

A regular dyi service is pretty cheap but usually buyers tend to see it as less value than a dealer performed one.
    As far as the service itself i seen it more at 6-8k at a shop vs 10+ at Ferrari

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The service would be performed by a dealership, complete with invoice. It just happens to be a friend. Retail price of his service is about $8k.

11. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This was through a dealership and I ended up working with him for months to get down from his asking price of about $120k to a more current value.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Generally what happens, rrs here in san jose has a white one which they had for 140k a year ago, then. 120,110...now 98 going to bat next week.
    It takes time but eventually dealers come to reality and/or keep it if private party.

13. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Correct, but for whatever its worth this was one of the nicer ones that I could find within my time window for that price. Sure I could wait for something to pop up on BaT but I told myself two years ago if the TR's drop below $100k then I'm going to buy. I bought around when that happened because I wanted it. If I waited I could have found a different one cheaper, and believe me at one point I did walk from the negotiation.

A big chunk of my decision to buy was seeing the auction prices first hand at the Greenwich Concours. A bad condition '88 model sold for $93k with no records. Also, my car bid to $105k at Mecum in April but the seller did not sell at that price.

I know a lot of people on the Ferrari Chat group talk about $85k TR's in wonderful condition but I just didn't see it or didn't have interest in waiting around to find it.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

All about timing. In 20 years ur tr might be worth 180k so, in a grand scheme of things 10k would not be that much;)
    A lot of dealers will hung up on u if they have it at 120k and u say 90k but they will call u back eventually and guess what, ull have bought urs elsewhere whilst they lost a sale.
    Happened to me quite a few times After i got mine.

xplodee likes this.
  15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yup, I agree completely and we're on the same page. I plan to own this at least 10 years if not much much longer so I wasn't as worried about a +/- $5k variation in my sale price versus what I *could* have got. I am confident that this car represents a fair value for its condition.

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Only natkingcolebasket talks about 85k nice condition Testarossas all day long....the rest of us don't. lol

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Beautiful congrats enjoy in good health

18. Natkingcolebasket69

First of all i dont talk about 85k rather in the 90’s.
    Second i actually bought and sell a tr over the past years which makes me likely at least as knowledgeable of the market conditions than u.
    Thirdly u are tooting ur own horn; check the sales and the facts are there those cars just dont sell for 100k anymore.
    I let u go back to posting pictures of ladies of the night with ur cars; imo thats what u seem to know slightly more than tr prices.;)

19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    You're right....I am tooting my own horn and I put my money where my mouth is. My 91 is a daily driver and I have put 65,000 miles on it. It also just just won a platinum award at one of the top Ferrari shows in the world.

You keep saying 90k but I've not seen a good TR with all the boxes checked, services up to date and in good condition for less than 100k....out the door. Sure low 90's tr ...and how much do you have to put in it? That 90k tr is a 110k tr.
    As for all my chicks pix, I have fun and I live EXACTLY how I like lol.

As the old phrase goes "put up or shut up" ...I "put up" everyday.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Ask feralc who bought my car and i think u will change ur mind about the prices.
    I have access to auction results, dealers sales and have happily shared those here- u can agree to disagree . We shall meet at a cars and croissant in Miami now that i live here to laugh at our differences;)

21. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I still say "out the door" . "Ridge" is a great example of buying what seems like a good price and how it can escalate upwards. There's a reason why a fully documented and services Testarossa is a lot higher price at the dealership. The most expensive Ferrari you will buy is the cheapest

My buddy just sold his 06 Murcielago couple. I told him not to be fooled on the low price when he bought the car. The car was beat on, raced and put away wet. He had so many costs and issues that he took a 40k loss on the sales price...after spending 30k on it.

The same for any "cheap" TR. My argument is that a well sorted and good TR in good mechanical and cosmetic condition is not 90k. Sales and auction results do not tell a complete picture at all.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

xplodee and ridege55 like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

I agree with u generally speaking but in my case not true. Bought my 88tr from ferrari of orlando with 24k-97,000miles with a major. They covered all
    Minor issues (gauge, cats for california) at their costs.Sold it for that range-ish.
    My buddy steve at rrs is selling is white one for sub 100k and it is sorted at auction next week at bat. His reserve is 90k. He also sold a 91 with 37k for sub 100k
    The gentleman previously on this thread bought his 96 no service though so that could be 104k.
    I totally agree with u on not buying a cheap exotic, the same way i agree that cars like blk diablo low mileage white classiche are worth more.
    Also fully agree that in 10 years they will be worth more.
    Ok let’s go have fun now, wife telling me to get off that forum;)

blkdiablo33 and Shamile like this.
  23. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Nats been talking the TR price market as low as he can. He's looking to buy!

I'm sure his own viewpoint sees it as reality, but the casual observer can see it clear as day. I bought a $50k Testarossa four years ago. And it needed pretty much everything! Still needs a lot. But I'm about 2.5 years away from 100k miles and another belt service.

Shamile likes this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

Right provide facts no observation. Thats not a fact. I can show ubsales all day long. Ill buy a 512 not a tr. thats for sure

25. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Just admit you have bias for a lower priced TR market. That's the appearance to me and probably many others. Nobody faults you for it. It's natural. Sellers want a higher market. Owners want a realistic price so we can adjust our insurance as appropriate.

Your just one data point for these prices and people just need to be aware of any potential agendas folks may have on the forum.