Testarossa radiator fan issues | FerrariChat

Testarossa radiator fan issues

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by uzz32soarer, Mar 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I'm having some fan issues today after doing a fair swag of work on my TR fuse panel over the last week. (See:http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134426&page=3)

Went out for a drive this morning and once warm, you can hear the fans kick in, but louder on passenger side.

Finally they stayed on for a while so I could get out and have a look.

Keeping in mind this is a RHD model, the fans on the right side (drivers) are easy to see with no oil tank in the way.

Although you can't see them all, I think, from the noise, that all three LHS fans are running fine, but on the RHS, only the large fan is running. The two smaller ones are stationary.

When I put the fuse board back together in the above thread, I put the wrong bloody relay in the radiator fan spot. Litterally switched it with the one above. They are different relays with one being normally closed, the other normally open. This is why I kept popping the 15a fuse whenever I connected the new battery terminals.

Once I figured this out, no more fuse issues, but now only one of the three RHS fans operates.

Does anyone have any clues on this? Should all three run at the same time? Are they on the same curcuit and fed from the same relay and fuse?

Irt's a hard one to diagnose because the car has to be so warm before the damn fans come on, then you have two minutes or less to look for a problem before they cool the temps down and go off again.

Brian or Steve, any experience with this?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    All three fans on the RH side will run at the same time only if the water temp is high (like ~195 deg F) and the oil temp is high (like ~190 deg F) -- i.e.:

1. When the water temp switch in the water radiator closes, relay H and relay L close which, respectively, turn on the large LH water fan and the large RH water fan;

2. When the oil temp switch in the oil radiator closes, relay I closes, which turns on the two small fans on the RH side.

If you're just running the engine stationary, the large water fans will come on a long, long time before the two small oil fans come on.

If the two small oil fans on the RH side don't come "on" when the oil temp is high, give a shout and I can give some more specific test instructions.

3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Bloody tricky then eh Steve?

Maybe I need to test the curcuit itself rather than trying to replicate a scenario that actuates them all.

Obviously the relay gets 12v from fuse, then switches poles 86 / 85 then sends power to fans via 87. If I pull the relay and give 87 positive power, thereby bypassing the switch, then they should come on?

Problem I see is that the large single fan, and the two smaller fans appear to be on a different curcuit, yet run through the same fuse and relay.

Most perplexing to say the least.

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, you can easily test each independently:

1. Remove relay I, connect a jumper wire from terminal 30 (always +12V) to terminal 87 (which goes to the two oil fan motors) in the I relay socket -- the two small oil fans on the RH side should run;

2. Remove relay H, connect a jumper wire from terminal 30 (always +12V) to terminal 87 (which goes to the LH water fan motor) in the H relay socket -- the large LH water fan should run;

3. Remove relay L, connect a jumper wire from terminal 30 (always +12V) to terminal 87 (which goes to the RH water fan motor) in the L relay socket -- the large RH water fan should run.

This is not correct -- each relay has its own fuse, and each relay runs either one water fan or the two oil fans. I.e., the electrical food chain for each is:

+12V -to- fuse #8 -to- relay I -to- the two small oil fans;

+12V -to- fuse #7 -to- relay H -to- the large LH water fan;

+12V -to- fuse #6 -to- relay L -to- the large RH water fan.

Good hunting!

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

On the left side of the car ( oil tank side), there is only one large fan there. On the right side ( AC compressor side) there is only one large radiator fan. The two smaller fans are for the oil radiator. Just because the rad fans come on doesn't mean the oil cooler fans "must" come on.

Even in florida, it takes some running to get the others to come on. Are you sure you have a problem?

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    To fault trace the entire wiring on the car.. start from the temperature source... ie the temp sensor switches on the radiator/cooler themselves..

just bridge them with a split pin... the fans should come on if all wiring/relays are good.

that way, you don't even need to run the engine and get it hot.

Rad temp is on lower LH radiator.. very easy to get to. New switches also easy to get... VW Golf/Rabbit 1978! Cost about $35

Oil temp is on side of cooler.. bit trickier but still ok to get to.

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile

Dear Ferraristi,

Haaaa Haaa, Boy, we sure get ripped-off from the "F"-Pimp !

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

8. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I had the radiator fans problems just last week... turned out it was a burnt connector to the fuse panel.

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes fellow TR owners, watch your fuel pump and cooling fan circuits at the fuse panel. These are the highest current draws and you have to keep an eye open for burnt connectors, etc. Other than this most every other fuse panel connection is okay.

10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    NAPA has them all day long. Jq.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Are you a "new" owner or an "old one" friend Patpong ?

Are you aware of all fuseboard (FB) issues ?

There are many, many threads here about it and how to overcome these problems ...

12. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Mel, I'm guessing he's an "old one"...his post was from 2007 and he hasn't been active here for the last 2 years. Hope all is well in your part of the world, have a Merry Christmas!

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Old thread, back to life.

‘What temp is the radiator fan supposed to kick in at? Oil cooler temp for fan switch.

I drive my car so infrequently I don’t even remember what’s normal. My fans don’t kick in until we’ll past 195. Has to be 1/2 way between 195 and the next tick mark. This is driving in 75-80 degree temps.

Dave above mentioned they are supposed to kick in at 195? Is that correct? Seems odd, as 195 is where it’s at just driving down the road at speed. I come to a red light, it’s jumps pretty quickly to between 195 and the next tic mark, and fans kick in. Takes 2-3 minutes, drops it back to 195.

Thermostats are stock.

Radiator fan switch was replaced a couple years ago as original failed.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    My water radiator fans also come "on" when the dash gauge reads 195 deg F. Could be the water temp sensor or water temp gauge, too.

Did you have the headlights or parking lights "on" at the same time? That can kick the gauge needle up a needle width or two (especially if a bad instrument ground connection in the w connector).

15. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    No lights on…

Steve, does your car run at less than 196 going down the road? My needle is pinned directly at 196, which I assume is the temp the radiators thermostat is set at? If the thermostats opened earlier, I assume the temp would be lower.

If the fans kicked in at 196, they would be on 100% of the time, right?

I did replace the radiator temp switch, I guess I could have put the wrong temp switch in…

If I just leave the car parked, running, it starts at 196… heats up to 1/2 way to the next tick mark, fans kick in… back to 196, and cycle repeats.

‘Seems like everything works… but at a higher set point???

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    Going down the road (when it isn't lead-melting hot here in TX) it does run lower than 195 deg F on the gauge. When stationary idling, it will go up to 195 deg, fans kick on, temperature decreases, fans go off (at maybe 175~180 deg F on the gauge), and cycle repeats.

If you're reporting that your fans will go "off" after going "on" during stationary idling, I'd say that's a lot of goodness, and you might just have a sensor/gauge problem as likely as a thermoswitch problem.

Never hurts to unplug/replug the w connector just to rewipe the ground connection for the gauges.

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #17 bpu699, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    This is puzzling me. When I get a chance I’ll take a laser thermometer and see if the radiator temps match the gauges. Where is the sensor that feeds the dash gauge? Could that connection be bad? Or that sensor be failing?

Which connector to the gauges were you referencing?

Fans definitely cycle on and off… but again, they shut off at a displayed 195 on the gauge…

What’s the tick mark past 195 represent? 220?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As always, thanks for your insight and help.

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  19. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks!

hmmm… looked at ricambi and eurospares for replacement thermostats, just in case. $178 at ricambi, 17 $ at eurospares. Ouch. Eurospares specs it at opening at 87/88 degrees Celsius, or about 188-190…

https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts/valeo/1107016

Steve, yours opens at 175 or so?

Scratching my head here… what did the original testarossa thermostat spec to open at?

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't think that you can read/trust any of these thermal gizmos down to the very last single degree, but I think that unlabeled mark near the 250 deg F mark is meant to represent the "don't go higher than 230-240 deg F" as specified in the TR OM.

Maybe a little higher, but in that ballpark. The TR OM (Section 3) indicates that the "thermostatic valves begin to open at 176-185 deg F" and the thermoswitch in the LH radiator turns the fans "on" at 183 deg F and turns them "off" at 167 deg F (but its location is a "cooler" location than where the water temp gauge sensor is mounted).

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you also may think over that the sensor for the gauge is at an other place located than the the thermo switch for the fans. also this switch is only located at the left radiator and switches on left and right fan. this I changed at my car that each radiator has his own switch.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my experience, based on casual observation only Ferrari thermostat springs get weak with age, probably from heat. Cars that have not had a thermostat changed will run cooler on the road. when during a service they are changed proactively suddenly higher temps are experienced causing alarm in some. Also absolute accuracy of the instruments in the cars of the period is not exactly a hallmark they are known for.

I think also the cars are getting old enough proactive radiator cleaning should be considered when the engine is out. They are getting to be old cars.

23. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks guys. I won’t have time to work on this until the weekend. Will check with a temp gun to see what temp the fans kick in at, and off at. Will verify senders and gauges consistent with that.

Will post what I find…

24. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    So, update on my testarossa...

Had a great drive this weekend. Nice and cool outside (60's). Car temp stayed 2-3 needle widths to the left of the midline the entire time driving, stopped at lights, etc. Ran great.

Parked in the garage, and the gauge now showed the temp between the middle tic mark and the one to the right of that. What the heck? Didnt think I heard the fans running. Maybe I just didnt hear them. I shut the car off, and restarted it, fans on immediately and quickly cooled back to the middle tick mark.

Now I just replaced the radiator temp sensor a year or two ago... I guess its possible it went out again?

Anything else I should look at? Will look at the relay board but no burned connections last time I looked.

Is there a way to place a switch to manually turn the fans on as a safety measure?

Any other thoughts?

Also, are there any after market thermostats that open 10 degrees sooner?

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just jump the original temperature switch parallel with an on-off switch. best place to do this is on the wires with the connectors to the fuesboard. have not the wiring diagram in mind, so can not tell you what wires to jump. so have a look at the wiring diagram please. may be steve has in mind?

bpu699 likes this.