Testarossa.... single mirror..!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa.... single mirror..!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by patpong, Mar 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I can not speak for the Countach. But by the time that the Diabo was introduced the legislation had changed.

2. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I think the mirror was the intended design not by law. Come to think of it, the TR single side mirror was the first one that car designers did designed the side mirror. During that period, they never designed side mirror. They just used market available mirrors from varies brands and sticked it in their cars....

3. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Let me look up the data . I think that I have two books that tell the same story about the initial high mirror. It is said that Pininfarina was not happy with it.
    But it does not really matter does it? :) The design is absolutely magnificent! I was in the market for one for a long time. In the end I decided to go for a 512 TR. But one eye always keeps looking at these gorgeous one mirror Testarossa's.

4. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Sorry to keep bringing it up. But, I like the idea of the revolution in design of the side mirror, not by force of the law. That side mirror design still influence many side mirror design this day... But may be you're right about the law thing.

There are less than 600 of this single mirror cars around.... rare.

5. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Yes definitely rare! The cars are unique. The most beautiful Testarossa's ever made. :)

6. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    #31 Prova85, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ya... What he said !! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Asymmetry is appealing. The single, high-mounted mirror has an appearance of functionality, else why would they put it there. More in line with several Group C racing vehicles of the day. Stark in its appearance, the incongruity catches one's attention.

I prefer the single mirror and center bolt wheel mount. More business like. "Just the facts, ma'am, just the fact" sort of statement.

Jim S.

8. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Heck, look at the FXX, no mirrors at all, just a rear view camera.

9. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    This story about the laws is completely correct.

10. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I love my one mirror car. I added a small mirror inside the cabin on a suction cup attached to the windshield that gives me a good idea what is in the blind spot....it helps...

bitss1 likes this.
  11. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I like the asymetrical single high mirror. You guys should check out the construction of the center interior mirror some time. It really is a unique piece of engineering and art. It appears to be a plain old mirror from the outside but when you open it up you notice that it is almost built like a parascope on a submarine. It creates some sort of lift effect that lets you see over the engine lid "chicklet" quite well. My side mirror vibrates so wildly above 80mph that it is pretty much useless so I generally only use the center mirror.

12. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    On the early TRs, the single high mirror, the center lock wheels, and the no mouse-trap seat belts are all "simply the best," and the way Enzo wanted it. They were my criteria when I bought my 86 TR then, and still are today.

13. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    Even though I love my '91 TR . . . I like that original mount. I can still remember when the TR was introduced with that single mirror . . . it just grabbed you.

14. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #39 testarob, May 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed, but don't forget that wide rear end ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvok likes this.
  15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It is the most exotic looking TR to me...

16. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm also a TR lover (on my second one) and like the single mirror.....but prefere the dual low mounted mirrors. BUT...I like the manual seat belts much better than the later cars. And the single lug bolt wheels are much much better looking than the later 5-lug wheels. I actually kinda like it when someone puts another high-mounted mirror on the passenger's side too even though it's useless. I like the symmetry it gives the car. Bottom line is: No doubt those early TR cars have a LOT going for them...including more leg room since they don't have the "storage tray" section built into the dash right where your knees are supposed to be.

Actually I'm just a TR addict....they have their quirks....and many other fcar owners seem to look down on them. But if your gonna do a long high speed drive...there isn't much better. They have a mystique all their own. Remember when 5th Gear (British car show - excellent by the way) did their poll of what the most popular Ferrari was....and the populace said "Testarossa"? Boy that seem to ruffle some feathers of those high-brows in the sportscar world....but I think they should do a reality check. The TR is a great car that does many things very well....it is well rounded and versatile. It is NOT a single purpose car, but a very user friendly car for an exotic that is usalbe in many different circumstances.

I will always be proud to own one...and carry the Testarossa banner through thick and thin...

Viva La Testarossa...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

17. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    As art I think the high mirror is wonderful.

However, the first few times I drove the high mirror, it was useless to me. I never looked in the right place for the mirror. By the time I had figured out where it was it was really too late. So, first timers - BE CAREFUL. - After a while it got to be more nautal to look up.

The rear visbility is awfully good for a car of this type. I did not hear Franco say, "What's behind me is not important" when I was rear ended in my Mondial.

18. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    One of the things I had to get used to is that when I am making a left hand turn into a corner, say in a parking lot, the mirror hides pedestrians that may be crossing in front of me !

19. epiccars_sickman

Feb 2, 2017
    i remember this car appearing in various games when i was a child in the 90s... man everybody went crazy on it...

was the fastest car available at the time too...

for me it was right on there with the f50

has anybody seen the car scene in the glasshouse 2001 ...

man you gonna tell me that's the coolest thing ever?

20. NathanSol

NathanSol Rookie

Jun 15, 2012
    Oshkosh
    The first Ferrari I ever saw in the metal was a single mirror Testarossa. One of the things that struck me the most was that mirror, which I had never before noticed in pictures I had seen. To me, it's part of what makes a Testarossa a Testarossa, as much a defining part of the car as the air intakes.

21. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Drag.

Legally, up to recently, you needed 2 mirrors only in Europe.

In case of guaranteed internal rear vision, as in a sedan or normal coupe, the internal mirror counts as one, the driver's side as the second. That's the lowest drag option, and the least expensive one too.

In case of station wagons or panel vans that can be loaded to obstruct internal rear vision, the only way to guarantee 2 rear vision options was to mount another mirror on the passenger's side. That's why station wagons have had 2 wing mirrors for a looong time.

Additionally, the law stipulates that all mirrors must be adjustable from the driver's seat without leaving the normal driving position. Hence the early push-pull cable variety and later the appearance of electrically operated mirrors.

By the way, the Mondial 8 was first delivered with only one external mirror.

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I guess I am not in the norm, I never liked the single high mount mirror. To me it always looked like an after thought not a part of the car. After hearing about the laws I now know this is true. It was an after thought to make it compliant. Anyway the TR is still one of my favorite cars of all time and I love them either way but prefer lower mounted driver and passenger side mirrors.

23. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    I bought an 1986 TR a couple of months ago and it was originally a "flying mirror car. The dealership changed it to a two mirror car after the owner complained of visibility. I am converting it back to a single mirror car now. My only problem with my restoration are those damn TRX wheels. Looked all over the planet and cant find a set of 16x8 and 16x10 knockoffs so I can replace the metric ones.

24. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I bought my wheels one at a time. Took me about a year and a half to find it. The fronts are harder to find. I had to find one in germany off of german eBay.

You have to check, eBay, eBay UK, Ebay germany, and craigslist often. Some web searches too. There are national wheel refinishers out there too that sometimes have them in stock.

Also, the ferrari parts stores have them occasionally. You have to call around. I got a front from Motion Products Ferrariin Wisconsin. http://www.mpi-ferrari.com/html/about.html

25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You may remove the hubs from the metric wheels and get them adapted to aftermarket modern tire size wheels.