Testarossa smoky cold start on one bank only | FerrariChat

Testarossa smoky cold start on one bank only

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jay535, Sep 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    For just the past few days my ‘88 TR is very smoky from the left tailpipes only after a cold start. It lasts a couple of minutes. The car is otherwise normal. It’s normal grey exhaust smoke — lots of it.

The problem came out of nowhere. The car has no cats. Ambient temp 65F.

I’ve searched but haven’t found other cases where the smoke lasts more than a few seconds or appears only on one side. What might cause that?

2. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Any chance the car is parked on a highly curved/sloped area - where the oil would congregate more to one side?

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did you change the original.muffler ..the reason I say that is that the gases are mixed (i believe ) in muffler ...so looking at one side vs another doesn't mean it is one bank vs another

All TR have a few seconds of oil smoke after sitting cold for a while and sitting hot for only a short period

Totally normally

Wait ..you said a couple of minute .. not normal .. sounds like water .. is coolant level dropping ..

Is it more white than blue smoke

or.is it gray black

Gray black is a mixture issue ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What engine family TR? F113A040 (US), F113A (early euro), F113B (late euro), something else?

5. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    F113B069. The car was originally registered in Saudi Arabia in 1988.

The car is parked more or less level.

The smoke is grey. It’s fuel, not coolant or oil.

It has a Tubi exhaust. I think there is no mixing of left and right-side exhaust gases.

It’s a warmer day today and the smoke didn’t happen. None on startup at all. When I saw the smoke, it was much cooler outside. So it looks to have something to do with the cold start injector. I will investigate.

... unrelated to the above issue …

My right-side tailpipes are decidedly sootier than the left-side ones, suggesting to me that one bank is running over-rich. NOT THE SAME BANK THAT IS CAUSING THE COLD START ISSUE, BUT THE OTHER ONE, so it’s an unrelated issue. Should I care, or is this within the range of “normal” behavior? Does my CIS need service?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Does it run on all 12? One bank of mine had the cold start injector on at all times (it would not pass emissions, even in Dubai!). I used a portable gas analyzer and discovered the passenger side was running very rich. I unplugged the cold start injector on that side - problem diagnosed (and sort of solved, I don’t know why one bank gets a signal and the other not). Cr runs clean now.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That is a bit of an odd duck, and, since it's now in another country, maybe had some other modifications. The 1987 TR SPC seems to indicate that a SA version of 1988 would be:

KE-Jet without Lambda
    No Precats
    With regular Cats
    No O2 sensors

Can you please check that list of items and see if that matches your TR or indicate how it doesn't?

That's a possibility. One other relatively easy thing to do is make a resistance measurement at each of the unplugged injection ECU harness connectors to verify if the 2-ch temperature sensor is "telling" each injection ECU the correct coolant temperature (a high resistance here would make the injection ECU think that it's really cold so could wrongly be adding unnecessary extra fuel):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Wouldn't hurt to unplug/inspect/replug the 2-ch temperature sensor to wipe those connections (it's the black one on top of the water Y-pipe).

Yes, with the Tubi they are independent so each tailpipe pair is related to just one bank. Whether, or not, this is a critical issue would depend on if you have cats, or not. IC engines are very tolerant of a slightly over-rich condition, but over-richness would tend to overheat a working cat. Without O2 sensors, you'd need to use an exhaust gas analyzer to check if the mixture is way off or off enough to warrant readjusting.

8. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Thanks for the amazing replies.

@Steve Magnusson My car has no cats or O2 sensors of any kind.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That definitely makes running a little rich more Okish. Of course, not too good for emissions and might make the spark plugs foul sooner and/or "carbon-up" the combustion chamber, but if it isn't causing any operational problem, it's not super-critical to get it checked/adjusted immediately -- just add it to the list ;).

10. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Saudi cars do not have lambda, not even very late cars, since they use lead in fuel and lambda sensor with catalytic converter do not work with it.

Jay535 likes this.
  11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Mikael - thanks for teaching me something new. I thought only pre 1988.5 K-Jet cars for non US or Swiss markets got away without a catalytic converter or oxygen sensors, but when I look on Eurospares, there is a digram depicting a version of a post 88.5 car with KE Jet and an exhaust without catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. I always thought the KE required input from an oxygen sensor, at least to operate initially when the car is cold. I wonder if my EU spec, converter equipped 91 could be converted to such a simple spec if I found such an exhaust. I would probably need the ECU as well.

Assuming the original post relates to such a non-cat car with a rich condition in one bank only, it could be something simple (one cold start injector stuck on) or something more complicated with the K-Jet on one bank. How long does the issue persist after the car is started? I was in Toronto last week goofing around with my BB512 (if you want to see exhaust haze follow my BB onto the on ramp of the 401 after it has been sitting in traffic!) I could have visited and looked at the car.

12. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    IF IT'S GRAY SMOKE:
    Sounds to me like you've got a leaky valve seal. My car smokes when I fire it up cold too. But it quickly dissipates. Due to the orientation of the valves in a horizontal position, when you stop the engine oil will seep by the seal and into the guide. Then when you fire it up next time cold, it burns it out. This is normal. Excessive smoke means maybe a valve seal has slipped off or is cracked.
    IF IT'S BLACK SMOKE:
    Listen to Steve

13. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Least early Testarossa does not have exhaust valve seals. Mine did not have.

14. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    My car is a similar motor config, no Lambda and when I had this issue it was a high impedance on the coil to cap wire. Sounds unrelated but what I can figure is it would not run on all 12, then the system would get loaded with unburned fuel. When it finally came back (probably cooler weather and less resistance in the wire) it would run rich as the unburned fuel ran off.

Worth checking, there are far better people to listen to on here but the majority of my issues before my overhaul were all high tension wire related.

15. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply, and for teaching me something I didn’t know about my car! I really appreciate it.

@JohnMH I suspect it is something to do with the cold start injector. It happens only when it’s cold(ish) outside. It lasts a couple of minutes if I sit idling, or 30 seconds if I drive off straight away (gently, of course).

I don’t think I’ve seen a BB since I was about ten years old.

@qwazipsycho Yes, it’s grey. It doesn’t happen when it’s warm outside, which makes me suspect the fuel system rather than a valve issue. I understand a flat engine will puff on startup, but this smoke persists for a minute or more.

I’m certain it’s fuel, not oil or coolant. I’m no expert mechanic, but I have plenty of experience seeing and smelling these fluids burn…

@c4b4the04 There’s no question it’s running on all 12 from startup. I will check the records to see when the HT leads were last changed and do them if it’s been a while. Thank you.

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You just confirmed what I've been saying. You answered that the smoke is grey. That is oil, not fuel.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    grey smoke is mix between oil and water
    oil is blue
    fuel is dark grey to black

Jay535 and flash32 like this.
  18. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    You know how on a cold morning, when first started, EVERY car makes more than the usual amount of visible exhaust? That’s what it looks like.

Call it grey, white, dark grey or whatever you want. How could it be oil or intermix if it only happens when it’s cold and always lasts between 2 and 5 minutes? Intermix would be smoking all the time and oil wouldn’t be temperature dependent.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think some guys are getting hung up over one guy’s definition of “grey” and going straight to a diagnosis that is not supported by the other evidence.

I’m not ungrateful for the help, but assertions of “your Testarossa is burning oil” and “your oil is mixing with your coolant” aren’t that helpful if they’re not based in evidence. A guy could lose a lot of time, money and hair chasing non-existent problems. Just saying.

Sorry if that seems rude. That’s not my intention. I appreciate every attempt to help me.

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You don't understand the horizontal engine. Because the valves are laid over on their side, oil will pool, seep, drip, or whatever you want to call it, around the valve guide area. So after sitting for a while, there is a considerable build up. It's completely normal. When you fire it up cold, that oil burns off within a couple minutes.
    Sorry, but "your Testarossa is burning oil"...and it's perfectly normal.

turbo-joe likes this.
  20. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Testarossa, least early Testarossa, do not have exhaust valve seals.
    I do not know what point they did start to instal them, would suspect when catalytic converters and lambdas where put on; 512TR and M (as stated on parts manual)

21. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Interesting. That I did not know. So the older flying mirror cars probably smoke a bunch on cold start.