Testarossa timing belts (Major) on a QuickJack ? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Testarossa timing belts (Major) on a QuickJack ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by teveo, Feb 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Never had a bad bearing right out of the box?

With a $25k plus interference engine, a “<1%” failure rate is too high for me. Think ‘tensioner bearing’.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    until now during my work ( 50 years now ) I never had a new bearing what was not ok

3. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Lucky Romano !
    The first major I did on my TR one bearing (labeled SKF) started to squeal in a few minutes. When I took it out the rotation felt lumpy.
    Another lotto win now that I think about it!!

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Here are a pair of new SKF tensioner bearings that I sent back. They say French…. but Chinese copies are all over the bearing industry. If the internal races are equally bad, they’ll likely fail in short order.

Attached Files:

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to hear your experiences vincenzo
    so those you sent back I also would have send back with those rusty marks. a sign of bad place where the bearing has been stored

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I First thought corrosion as well. With really close inspection, 10 & 20x, it seemed more like porosity. To this day, I am not sure which it was. If it were corrosion, I’d have thought that a superficial, lighter amount of corrosion would be more widespread. Either way, rejection was called for.

These are much better than SKF:

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    I have the HE bearings, the gearoil but no time
    My 356 let me down this summer, the e-type let me down this summer.

When I drained the gear oil last year I couldn’t loosen the front most drain plug. I have the tools but I don’t want to force it.

It is raining outside and now is the time to fill up with Maxgear!

Any idea how much oil that would be left when that plug has not been undone?

The other large plug was open for weeks at that time.

8. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
  9. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    I just filled 9 quarters through the filling hole in the clutch housing… suppose I have to check level tomorrow oil is distributing sloooowly to the rearmost filler plug.

10. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Rotating the wheels did the job, 9.7 liters went in at 20 degrees C.

11. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    All the fluids are finally in, thoroughly bled the brakes and clutch.

The clutch was a little difficult to start with but trick seem to be to keep the reservoir fluid on or above "Max" mark while bleeding the clutch. The fluid inlet to clutch master is way up on the reservoir and if you accept level to drop you have to start over again.

I bought a case of Redline water wetter and will add a bottle when I get the engine running. It may or may not work well.

The OEM Euro exhaust had a crack and I welded (MIG brazed) it with CuSi wire and argon, it is ready to mount but we want that 12 on straight pipes not? ;) Am tempted to order a Larini system (4 box version) to get rid of those 4 mufflers that build up the system.

The car sit perfectly on the QuickJack, wheels off to get access to radiators and brakes. I took some pix to show how it sit on the lift, IMO the QuickJack is a very good unit for the Testarossa.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

c4b4the04 likes this.
  12. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Chris
  13. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Thanks for the kind words, progress is slow but somewhat steady. Before startup and tuning I have a few minor and one major job to do.

I will fabricate the three aluminum pieces under the front bumper, for the center piece I dont have access to louvering tools the width of the original but I will make a row of 2 or 3 narrow louvers. The mesh under the AC evaporator is easy to replicate and the piece under the battery is even less hassle.

The last major item is fitting a new exhaust, the OEM 4 box Euro is too bulky and I decided to order a phase2 system from Larini, it replace the OEM with a one piece system all the way from tips to manifolds.

14. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder: larini sounds for m italian, but the company selling those exhaust is in great britain. what did they told you about delivery when you ordered?
    would have been easier to make a trip from norway to GB and pick up the exhaust by yourself ;)

nevertheless a very sad handling what they are doing.

16. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Yes, UK made and they said 6-8 weeks lead time.

I'll give them a little slack for Covid but now is the time to (build) and send me my exhaust! :mad::)

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so they not have in stock? they have to built/make one?

18. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Yes they have to build them, at least that is what they say. Maybe they are waiting for a package from Taiwan? :eek:

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    "Back again" and ready to drive but I have a non start issue. Seem to be no fuel delivery , it started fine before I had the engine out though and I may have forgotten to hookup something.

Maybe an issue with the sensors, I dont remember if the tacho was jumping all over on cranking before I took he engine out but it sure jumps now.

That would have been something ... :eek:

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    bad joke ! ! !

21. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
  22. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Cleaned the fusebox and replaced one 15A fuse for the fuel pumps, after a little cranking I now smell fuel but no spark.

Initially the car did fire slightly on what must have been old fuel the first 5-10 secs after engine out but could not get up to revs or start. Now it does not fire at all.

I have checked spark at left side with strobolight, nothing from coil to distributor. I will check on right side today just in case. The coils have 12 volt.

Both TDC and rpm sensor measures around 0.71K Ohm, seem to be good I guess from what I found about similar sensors on the internet.
    I took them out and reinstalled after wiping them down and since they worked before I guess the distances to the flywheel is correct.

With ignition on the multimeter show low voltage on most of the ports into the ignition module, not sure whether one of them should have a little more, I will have to print out a few wiring diagram now and debug. Also my '85 have one ignition module only for all I can see but most references on the internet cover 2 modules but its been running fine so that surely ain't a problem.

23. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    I tried to read up on ignition problems, however no time for working in the garage. My ICU have just a few connections compared to later models.

The iPhone is a good helper when one cannot see what is going on, just line it up and shoot a video while cranking to verify if there is a spark. Just place the phone, start recording, sit down and crank. Go back check video.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I will go over the connections again and see that all is hooked up, from what I see there is no relay on the right rear inner fender in my car?

24. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    It's been a busy month, little time to look at the no spark situation.
    I will try to be systematic and started with the connectors under the overflow tank, took them out and gave them a good cleaning to no avail.

US owners manual page 70 had a decent diagram, even if mine I Euro it look very similar. Having read up a little more I will start looking at:
    • tachometer relay
      • definitely something strange going on as tacho will sometimes be at 0 rpm when cranking then jumping to 3-4k rpm
    • "U" relay
    • coils
    • fuel pump and starting injector relays
    • fuse 19, 20, 21
    • throttle microswitch
    • ??

Attached Files:

25. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    I took out the Tach relay today, it may be in need of replacement.

Before I took it out the dash lamps were on/working as they should but no tach / jumpy tach and no firing up.

Out with the relay, clean the spades and put a little dielectric grease on them. Plugged relay in again and this time no dash lamps. I did not find time to test hot wiring 30 to 87.

I did measure around 3.5-3.8Volts on coils and towards the ignition ECU as well. That was before the relay was taken out. I did not measure it with the dark dash situation but will hot wire 30 to 87 next time and see what we get at the engine bay.

Attached Files: