Testarossa Turbine Project, Happening NOW! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Turbine Project, Happening NOW!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by APA#1, Jun 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you look on the first page of this thread, you'll see that I posted a link to the company that makes (or made?) that bike. They also have a turbine powered pickup truck.

I don't see anything wrong with trying it, although I tend to think that it won't work very well-- other than for bragging rights and a really cool sound.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    couldnt you get around that by installing a small engine for reverse ?

3. bannedleader

bannedleader Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    ...that looks like something I would do. Wait until you see my `36 Cord project. ............Jerry

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How about thrust reversers?

Ah, the possibilities are endless! :)

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    How about a small battery powered motor for reverse. Then you could get a little hybrid sticker and aggravate more environmentalists!
    BT

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Certainly lots of comments, good and bad.

Thanks BT for your support as well as the others who shed a positive light on this project.

I have been looking to do this for a few years. The TR is perfect for the project as the rear engine configuration make it relatively easy, so to speak. Though nothing about this project is easy.

There will in fact be a transmission, though only for reverse. If I wanted it to go just forward it would be a lot easier and have contemplated both ways.

Borg warner makes a very compact 1:1 transmission with forward and reverse. The overall length is just 11". This will be coupled to a BMW LSD. They use these in the marine industry. I have some knowledge there as well :)

As far as the ac goes it will run off the front side of the turbine as the driveshaft can be oriented from either end or both.

The engine/trans will be coming out in about a week as soon as I free up some room in the shop. Seems there is a vette in there that I have stored for somebody quite a while that is on my lift............

Pictures as it progresses will be posted as the project goes forward.

Currently the turbine is in a mobile test stand and I can run it at any time to hear that sound of it spooling up.

FYI, the complete interior will also be going the way of the engine and transaxle. This will also include the dash, seats, door panels etc. I want to make it a center driving position like a McLaren F-1 with "kiddie" seats on each side.

7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I forgot one other thing. BT I had considered the electric motor but decided against it. Honda Goldwings have one for reverse as well.

Good idea though.

8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    That a JET engine and uses thrust for power. Kinda dangerous...

This is a TURBINE and uses a driveshaft!

9. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Here's his page http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

This is going to be an awesome project. The whining by "originality" wankers is an added bonus.

10. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Gotta love the humor of the beetle guy!

11. martinp

martinp Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Nr Ludlow, Shrops UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Phillips
    That's a serious project, the TR's subframe mounting system and engine bay may be ideal.

You are standing on the shoulders of giants here though
    Renault (Etoile Filante '56), Rover (various '50-'65), Howmet (TX), Lotus 56/56B

I saw the Rover BRM Le Mans car running at Goodwood Festival of Speed in 1999, as an aside, it was a hot day and they had to drive about quite slowly because of crowds in the paddock area and the engineers got very worried about overheating.
    It might be an idea to make sure you hook your TR's cooling fans up to an engine compartment thermostat!

The Rover BRM is located here in central england
    http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/

Loads of info on Turbine cars at

http://www.forix.com/8w/altpower-turbines.html

A friend of mine has built a tiny WORKING jet turbine for a model aeroplane, about 9 inches long and 3 inches diameter - the real thing! Astonishing.

Good Luck, keep us posted
    Martin

Hmmmm - you will need a new rev counter too :)

12. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It sounds like you have "money to burn" lol

13. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You don't... it's going to be a "Free Roller"... right 4Yacht? Also are you going to install an "Afterburner" to it???? That's SICK!

14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    A turbine is not a jet engine.

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The Beetle guy also has a twin turbine Vespa!
    Craig, I was describing this project to my friend yesterday at our cookout, and he knew the engine you would be using right away. He has built (and rebuilt) those engines while working for Sikorsky. If you need help with something mechanically on the engine he might be able to help. Let me know if you run into problems that need someone else's eyes on them.
    :)
    BT

16. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    That 1965 Lemans entry finished 10th overall, driven by no other than Graham Hill and a young mr. J. Stewart. It was optimized for efficiency rather than speed - for instance, a special ceramic heat exchanger was used that actually reduced the top speed, but gave better fuel economy.

When Road & Track gave a full road test on the car, they noted rather sluggish acceleration (10.6 or so 0-60), (only one speed forward) but a top speed around 140 once you got it rolling. Pretty similar to Chrysler's experience...R & T also mentioned that they were admonished to never use the reverse gear - BRM techs were afraid they would get stuck in neutral and overrev the output turbine.

To put it into perspective, 9th was an ailing Iso-Grifo Chevrolet, 11th was a lowly MGB. In fairness, probably Indy was a better venue for a constant speed engine like a turbine - but it was a very interesting experiment.

17. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'm getting a better feeling about the project. It looks like you have considered some of the issues. I am anxious to see how the transmission works out.

You will likely need to mount a disc brake to the output shaft as it will always have torque, even at idle (the turbine boat guys do this or they'd never be able to stop/stand still). Over-reving the output shaft in neutral could be dangerous.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Every jet engine I've seen is a turbine, but the application is somewhat different. The Ferrari will have the wheels driven, like the turbine Indy car, while a jet uses the thrust of the exhaust. Venting the hot exhaust out of the car in a practical manner will definitely not be trivial however!

Ken

19. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #69 2NA, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If I remember correctly, the Beetle has its stock engine up-front and the jet engine in back (sort of a "hybrid").

This MR2 has turbocharger jet engines with a small APU up front to power accessories. Interesting but WHY?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Shaft driven. Kinda like a hydroplane boat. Uses a helicopter turbine with a shaft to the properllor. In this case, the shaft will go to the rear axle to turn both wheels. It's a pretty easy transformation to a car or bike since helicopter engines already move the helicopter by shaft (to the blades). Using an airplane turbine would be just a little more difficult to switch to shaft. ;)

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    One of the best aspects of using the TR for this particular engine is that the exhaust from the turbine is the rectangular opening on the top. So fitting an exhaust through the metal deck cover should look good also! Apparently with this engine you can disengage the power while the engine continue to turn so it has something like a clutch. I think it should sound awesome!
    BT

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The power turbine is more like a torque converter in an automatic transmission. It is turned by the gasses from the 1st stage, so there is always some torque on it when the engine is turning. Without a brake or some other load, it can spin uncontrolled (and potentially fly apart).

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That sounds exciting! Flying turbine parts....
    :D
    BT

24. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    "The whining by "originality" wankers is an added bonus."

Perfect :)

"Craig, I was describing this project to my friend yesterday at our cookout, and he knew the engine you would be using right away. He has built (and rebuilt) those engines while working for Sikorsky. If you need help with something mechanically on the engine he might be able to help. Let me know if you run into problems that need someone else's eyes on them."

Thanks BT. His name wasn't Bob S. by any chance was it? If

"That's a serious project, the TR's subframe mounting system and engine bay may be ideal."

One of the reasons to use a car like this one

"The power turbine is more like a torque converter in an automatic transmission. It is turned by the gasses from the 1st stage, so there is always some torque on it when the engine is turning."

There will be a disc brake on the "front" side of the engine to allow it to be shifted into gear. However there will also be a load on it from the AC and 12 V alternator.

"One of the best aspects of using the TR for this particular engine is that the exhaust from the turbine is the rectangular opening on the top. So fitting an exhaust through the metal deck cover should look good also! Apparently with this engine you can disengage the power while the engine continue to turn so it has something like a clutch. I think it should sound awesome!
    "
    Exactly !

Here is a good site to help some others learn about turbine projects.

http://www.gas-turbines.com/
    http://www.turbinefun.com/Turbine_Powered_Projects.asp

Here's a smaller turbine engine and how it works description

http://www.turbokart.com/allison.htm

Oh yeah, and check out the video of the 360 getting trashed by a turbine kart :) It is pretty cool video though the guy driving the 360 is kinda nuts, especially at the beginning of the video. MUST WATCH!

http://www.turbokart.com/turbokartvsferrari.htm

25. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John