Testarossa Turbine Project, Happening NOW! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Turbine Project, Happening NOW!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by APA#1, Jun 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #76 willrace, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We can only hope it won't be too long before we hear those immortal (as I butcher them) words "Engines on.......Turbines to speed...."
    I only hope that 4Yacht chooses someone more like Bat Girl for the unveiling.
    Can't wait. We won't tell anyone where the Cave is, honest.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Indeed. Maybe in about the yr. 2121, some "retro-Kustom" guy will find that thing and re-Kustomize it into the mint-green Lincoln Futura all over again.

I would, however, have preferred a mummyfied Julie Newmar as the Catwoman for the display model...

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    4Yacht posted:

//There will be a disc brake on the "front" side of the engine to allow it to be shifted into gear. However there will also be a load on it from the AC and 12 V alternator.//

Um, does that mean that you are just going to attach the AC compressor and the alternator right onto the output turbine shaft? Does that not mean that they would therefore not be turning when the car is not in motion? I would think that this was intended as much for display or public event use as for constant speed running, so would that not be a concern?

A second question I had when reading through this was on the gearbox - are you planning to have multiple ratios, or just go with direct gearing? If so, and the maximum output RPM is only 6K, then "top gear" or "only gear" as the case may be, would have to be pretty high...about as high as the original Testarossa fifth gear. Did you do any calculations on the torque curve and resulting acceleration potential of such a gear ratio? My "gut feel" would be that it would nearly have to have at least a 3 or 4 speed planetary gearbox (like an automatic tranny but without the torque converter) to get acceptable low speed acceleration.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk

These are some of my observations as well. The A/C and alternator (probably also the starter on a turbine) would need to run off of the accessory drive (always turning) ,the output shaft needs a brake (maybe with a "Line-Lock" so you can start the engine without your foot on the brake) and a clutch so you can back up without shutting down. Some kind of transmission with reverse seems pretty important as well.

Your electrical system will now operate at 24-48 volts to match the engine starter/generator output.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My friend who worked at Sikorsky is Dan Martin. Really meticulous and worked on helicopters for about 30 years. Now he is an independant contractor. Keep us up to date on the progress!
    BT

6. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Craig,
    This sounds like such a cool project, and I am really looking forward to seeing the progress, so please keep us posted with pictures ;)

Oh, and please put your TR interior bits on ebay as well, so I can bid on them too :D

David

7. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard
    I saw this thread a few weeks ago, and I thought it looked cool. What is even cooler is that I just saw it featured on Fast Lane Daily today!

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    That is a might fine looking coffin you are building man ;) It takes the burial out of the cremation vs burial argument.

I was looking in to an Ultima GTR powered by a http://marineturbine.com/ set up, but the heat consideration and a 54,000 rpm motor just a foot from my head left me wondering...

9. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Hi David, sold the engine/trans already. Happy buyer, got all the engine compartment stuff.

I am probably going to sell the complete interior, seats, door panels, complete dash with gauges, center console.

The engine and trans come out this Saturday. Lots of pressure cleaning to do then :)

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    When all is sold, you probably have the rest of the car for free. :)

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice thread!

Most here may not know that Craig had a very nice stock TR he sold to begin this venture......then he openly advertised to buy a 'project' TR...

Some project!

This is what can happen, when you hang out too long with Offshore Boat racing guys.....LOL!

12. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How is that thing going to pass emissions tests at your local DMV?

Best
    Jon

13. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

Why would you do that? Are you going to redo the interior as well?

When all is said and done, just remove that prancing horses.

Best
    Jon

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure that statement made the purists feel any better. :)

15. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    My neighbor is on his second turbine project and now owns six Boeing T50 engines. His boat has been running up and down the Willamette River in Portland for over three years now.

For his TransAm project he is using an automatic transmission minus the torque converter and mounting a disc brake on the turbine fan so he can stay stopped when he wants to. He claims reverse is easy - just let the tranny do it.

16. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    Well yes, a "jet engine" just uses the exhaust stream for thrust, while a turbine ports the exhaust through a fan and drive shaft to convert to rotational energy.

You can have an afterburner on a turbine if you want some special effect. All you need to do is squirt some fuel into the exhaust stream after it has exited the fan. My neighbor did this with his boat. Just make sure you're not under a tree when you light it up.

At this very moment... as I am writing this, I am just hearing my neighbor's turbine spin up 100 yards from my house. Fun Saturday work!

Edit: two minutes later - now I can smell it!

17. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Craig, Are you doing this here in Ft. Lauderdale? I would love to come by and see it...........maybe even give you a hand. PM me and let me know.

18. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR

A "fan" compresses air by adding energy and a turbine extracts energy by expanding gas.

In a turbo jet, the compressor (fan) provides high pressure air to the combustor for burning and then it exhausts through a high pressure turbine which drives the compressor and also provides hot exhaust gas. This hot exhaust gases passes through a nozzle to provide thrust. As you said you can also mount an afterburner for additional thrust or a flame show

In a turboshaft for a car, boat or helicopter, the the same compressor, combustor and high pressure turbine exist (called a gas generator) but the hot exhaust gases passes through a separate low pressure or power turbine to provide torques to a drive shaft or transmission.

In a turbofan, again the same gas generator, compressor, combustor and high pressure turbine exist but the exhaust gas drives a low pressure or fan turbine which drives a big front fan which supercharges the core airflow and provides bypass air for additional thrust and better fuel efficiency.

Good luck with this project. Interesting to see how bad the the response time or turbo lag is.

19. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    How much power will this thing develope?

20. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    #95 APA#1, Jul 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    550 HP max, 500 continous

22. XSNSX

XSNSX Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 19, 2007
    Jupiter, Florida
    Hi Craig,

A turbine Testarossa? Cool!!!

Kudos for originality... and also for tackling one hell of an engineering project. Some of my past colleagues work at Lockheed and visit S. FL on occasion. They would enjoy seeing this and may be able to arrange some resources, if needed.

Good luck!

Carl @ YachtForums

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    No emmissions testing in Florida currently.
    :D
    BT

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think this would look cool with strakeless sides and in a military grey or camo (like that LP640).

25. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Note to self: don't follow Craig to close in traffic!