Testarossa wheels | FerrariChat

Testarossa wheels

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dbenvenuti, Jun 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbenvenuti

dbenvenuti Rookie

Jun 25, 2014
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    David Benvenuti
    I have a 1986 Testarossa with TRX metric wheels. They no longer make tires for these wheels and I have been told I need new wheels. Someone told me that 93-95 512TR wheels would fit. Another person told me that I need new wheels made and mentioned HSR company in San Diego. Can't find them. Any advice? Thanks, David

2. johnrlyon

johnrlyon Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Your car has spline-drive wheels, whereas the later Testarossas and TR have 5 lug wheels, so the later wheels definitely won't fit. I think it's pretty hard to find replacement spline drive wheels, but Carobu makes them:
    http://carobu.com/Parts%20Catalog/Testarossa/TR%20512%20Razzo%20Rosso%20wheels%20brakes%20suspension%20price%20list%202011-3.pdf
    I saw a set on an early Testarossa a the FCA meet a couple of weeks ago and thought they looked fantastic!
    Or if you don't want to spend the money on new wheels and tires, I believe Coker makes TRX tires.

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    peteficarra likes this.
  4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Coker has tires in stock. Made ten years ago!!

5. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    #5 MonoSpecchio, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    He already has those same spline drives on his TRX wheels...not sure why you directed him to that auction. The TRX hubs are the same hubs that the 16" wheels use. There are very few aftermarket options for the spline hub '85-87 models.

When I bought my '85, I just bought the stock Ferrari 16" wheels from an '87, swapped over the spline drives, and stored the TRX wheels. They look identical to the TRXs and tire rack has these good tires for them in the OE sizes: BFGoodrich*g-Force Sport COMP-2

Here's an ebay auction for a set of 16" wheels that you can transfer your spline hubs to. It's been on ebay forever, so you can likely send him a lower offer. They need refinishing of course (that chipping you see is just the paint), but that is the way I would go. All in it won't cost much more than the TRX tires alone! There will always be some 16" tires available since the '84-89 Corvette shared the same sizes front and rear.

Ferrari Testarossa Wheels 512 Chromodora 8" Fronts 10" Rears Set of 4 | eBay

Last of all, welcome to the forum, always nice to have another monospeccio here! You will find a ton of good info here.

6. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    They are still available from the UK, Longstone tyres Ltd I believe.

Phil

7. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #7 KENCO, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    You can keep original wheels intact.......16" tires are hard to find, 18" much easier...there are many options for aftermarket wheels if you want to pay, they are not cheap. Mate hubs to a less expensive wheel if you want.

Here is what I put on mine: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/347027-pics-my-new-wheels-1987-tr.html

Rose Red likes this.
  8. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    I am restoring an early production 1986 Testarossa and of course I have ran into the wheel issue. Coker is out and not a single parts place on any continent has tires for the metric wheels. I am looking for 16x8 and 16x10 knockoffs so I can use them to drive the car and the metric ones for shows. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Larry, I have an extra set of 18" knock off wheels that came off of my '86 TR. I know you were looking for 16" but this could be an option. PM me if you are interested.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Doug Almond and rob cunningham like this.
  10. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Finding a complete set is not easy these days. I just bought a set last month off another member that needed refinishing. There's 3 refinished front wheels on ebay now though. But haven't seen any rears available for awhile.

11. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    I am definitely interested. Will these fit on the same spline that is on the 1986 I have? Are the knockoffs the same as the metric wheels? You might have saved my bacon. Let's connect on Friday.

12. rob cunningham

May 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    robert cunningham
    Hi John I would very interested in these wheels you have posted would like to now more about them if you could PM me that would be great
    thank Rob

13. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
    Larry, I have a set of wheels. Send me your email address and I will send you pics of the wheels.

Doug Almond likes this.
  14. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I don’t know 100% for sure regarding the spline, however I am using the same lug. Here are pictures of my replacement wheels. These, I believe, are the same size as the other wheels that I have. Fronts are 235/45/18 and rear are 285/35/18. I will take pictures of the other wheels and check size this weekend.

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    somebody really needs to produce the knockoffs like they did with the Boxer wheels.

16. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    agree....its crazy that there are roughly 2000 cars with the metric wheels and no one is making the tires or the 16x8/16x10 replacement wheels so you can safely drive the 84-86 models

17. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond

18. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    Do the 18in wheels and tires go under the wheel well ok? Do they rub on rough roads at highway speed?

19. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    No rub whatsoever. They fit perfectly under the wheel well.

20. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  21. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    these wheels are great for the brake upgrade options.

22. rob cunningham

May 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    robert cunningham
    John how did you go with Larry ?
    Im still very interested in you wheels if he doesn't wont them
    Rob

23. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  24. vegas488

vegas488 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    there are some 18" forged wheels look just like the stock wheels on ebay

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ebay where?
    why not just put a link here?
    it makes no sense to double post this in 2 threads

also would be good to introduce yourself a little and fill out your profile even you are a member here nearly 4 years