Testarossa | FerrariChat

Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by khayes, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=2473153898&rd=1

I noticed a couple of odd things with this 1988 Testarossa listed on ebay. I'm assuming it is a Euro car for sale in the US. The things that look out of place or unusual to me are:

Stock single lug wheels but tires are something other than TRX
    No side marker lights at front and rear. Does have one small one near door.
    Partially painted front spoiler
    Painted rear emblem
    Front emblem
    Engine cover does not have center stop light
    No rear bumperettes sticking out of the back of the bumper
    Front grill blinker lenses are amber and white instead of all amber
    Red crinkle painted air box

Just curious, are all Euro cars like this? Also, this is a 16 year old car that still has the original timing belts. I sure would like to know what kind of tires they have on those old style wheels.

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't have any specific info. in front of me at the moment, but the VIN number will tell the car's original destination. I know this doesn't help much though......

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The 4 zeros in a row in the VIN indicate it is a Euro. The painted airbox cover is disgusting (sorry) and not stock. The emblems are also painted - Is there even suppossed to be a front horse?

4. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    This is an early 88 before they switched over to the 88.5 spec that changed the suspension arms, wheels, etc. that were carried through to later years. The serial number xxx75xxx also points to it being an early 88.

Steve
    88.5 TR

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe the single-lug TR wheels come in both metric and 16" diameters so that can explain the non-TRX tires.

Certainly looks a little ratty under the hood for a sub-6K mile car (e.g., the "spliced" crankcase vent line). It must also have the "GB" version exhaust because you don't see the silencer thru the rear grill.

The "B" in the eighth digit of the VIN identifies it as a "LHD for European market" (but the "A" in the fifth digit seems a little wacky).

Agree that the large red front cavallino is terrible -- yuk...

What's really surprising is that the seller wants more than $60K -- I'd be laughing all the way to the bank ;)

6. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>I believe the single-lug TR wheels come in both metric and 16" diameters so that can explain the non-TRX tires.

Yep. Pre 88.5 were metric, so I guess that an 88 might have either.

7. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Like Steve said, the "B" in the eight digit means that it is a European car, LHD. The "A" in the fifth digit represents the restraint system (3-point inertia belts with auto retractors for front) and is normal for all non-US Testarossas, plus the very early (1985) US versions.

The small side marker light near the door is also a sign that it's a European model. Same story with center stop light: this never appeared on Euro versions and was introduced on US versions in 1986.

Bumperettes are only on US versions and on Japanese versions. And yes, the white and amber lenses are also correct for European versions, although French versions have yellow lights.

The painted stuff and the additional emblems are not original.

For more information, please check my website:

http://www.red-headed.com (-> articles -> Testarossa -> Versions)

And before I forget it, it's indeed one of the last Testarossas with single nut wheels ...

Grtx, Edvar

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi gents,

about the testarossa:

- Its 100% sure an european testa!
    - Its NOT one from Switzerland, Sweden or U.K!
    - The VIN is wrong displayed!!!!!
    - The 8 digit is NOT a 8 (eight) its B !!!!!
    - Have a closer look to the pic

More infos about testarossa VIN`s for the european market are here:
    http://www.red-headed.com/articles/testarossa_versions.html

Regards

Wolfgang

9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi Edvar, just saw your post a bit too late....you are so fast and thats an awesome great & helpfull web-site!!!!

10. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
  11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I can't believe no one said anything about the getto fab stereo.
    Thats worth 50 lb at least.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I mis-spoke there -- I should have said the "A" in the fourth digit seemed strange, but the VIN decoder on the FCA-NWR site obviously isn't as complete as the one on Edvar's site so it only listed the 308 application.

13. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    FWIW, my 88TR US car has 16" single lug wheels - Ser# 75872

14. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Wouldn't it be odd to put US 16 inch wheels on a Euro Car rather than metric wheels that take the TRX tires. I find it odd that my US car has metric wheels rather than 16 inch wheels.

15. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Exactly what I plan to do. Purchased a set of "original" US wheels and plan to send them off for refurbishment. Then will put them on my Euro TR, and put the "original" metric ones on the shelf. For the time being, I still have plenty of tread / life on the existing TRX's, so will keep them mounted until they are expired.

16. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    That red air box is uuuuuuuuugly!!!! Also, that stereo has GOT to go. Come on, sub woofers in a TR!? TR in da hood.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    How do you identify that a TR is for sure an 1988.5 as oppossed to a 1988? I know the wheels are different, but is there a more accurate identification method in the VIN?

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    My understanding is that it is the wheel/suspension changes that differentiates a "1988" from a "1988.5" TR, but, yes, the VIN would tell you because:

SN 75996 and before are the single-lug wheels.

SN 75997 and after are the 5-lug wheels.

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Cool, just curious as to what the definitive definition was.

76097 here. :)

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    OK Steve - Your answers are always right on, so here is another question for you - How do you match the VIN # of the car to the engine? There is an identification plate on the engine, but that doesn't seem to correspond to the engine. I know I saw on my 328 an actual VIN # tag.

21. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Steve, please note that the "75996/75997" rule is only for US versions. I believe European cars got the 5-lug wheels a bit earlier. Besides that, it happens quite a lot that "Ferrari information" is not completely correct. So, just look at the wheels to make sure ;)

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Of course, you're right Edvar -- I should have indicated that that SN change-over was from the US TR SPC 587/90, and know that one must always allow for some flexiblity in the documentation vs the reality ;)

"How do you match the VIN # of the car to the engine" -- I think the short answer is that you don't. I believe the best you can do is verify the "engine family type" for the model/version on any of the post 17-digit VIN F models. Edvar's actually got a great listing for TR version -to- engine family table on his site at www.red-headed.com -- Articles -- Versions (shows that a "euro TR" can be quite a varied thing ;)).

"I know I saw on my 328 an actual VIN # tag" -- I don't know the label-ology of 328s, but I'd be very surprised if it went beyond matching engine family type to VIN -- i.e., if it also had the actual SN of the engine matched to the VIN -- but that's just my guess. For TRs, I haven't found any, or come across any reference to, VIN to engine SN linkage.

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Wow, I'm surprised the TR engine doesn't have the VIN on it - You here so much about # matching cars.

The 328 actually had a metal plate on it that displayed the VIN #. I'll try & get a pick this weekend - It was on the bottom of the engine somewhere - Not 100% I can get a pic of it, but I will give it a shot. :)

24. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Jerry, if I have to guess what the engine number of your TR would be, I would guess type F113A040 and number near 11100. But that's just a stupid wild guess :)

Regarding "matching numbers", that only refers to classic cars. I believe the Daytona was the first type where the engine number was not equal to the chassis number. As far as I know, no modern Ferraris have engine numbers which are equal to the chassis number.

I'm quite curious about the VIN plate on the 328 engine. This is also new for me, although I wouldn't be too surprised. It might be related to the place where the car was sold new. I mean, a Californian 328 would have different decals and plates than cars delivered to other states.

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks guys - I have seen that ID plate on the TR, I'll check it out.

On the 328, I'll make sure to take a pic - It's news to me that newer Ferraris don't have matching #'s.