Testing Cold Start Valve | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Testing Cold Start Valve

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Mar 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Great points -- thank you!
    1. I hope I didn't bend the sensor plate -- that's good to know. I can see how one could damage it without realizing it.
    2. Yeah, that banged up breather pipe was probably the only issue that came up when I was negotiating with the guy I bought the car from. Apparently that happened at one of the Ferrari authorized shops. Some caveman went at it with a pair of vice grips. The car has actually been well maintained, but I wonder what else this particular repairman did to my car. Thought it wasn't a big deal b/c the dents don't really affect the function of the pipe, and I naively thought I could replace it easily enough. Turns out it's NLA. Figures.
    3. A sharp eye on the fuel door actuator -- that's really helpful. Probably another thing the owner asked to have addressed but wasn't really.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    https://www.allferrariparts.com/pn118312id259445.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162474804227?hash=item25d440c403:g:660AAOSwc49Y8Ses

3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Since all of the US distributors I checked say the part is out of stock, I thought my only option was paying $350 + shipping to these guys in Georgia. Turns out Superformance in Britain had the part for 80 pounds + shipping, probably $140 or thereabouts when the dust settles. Got here quick too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

spicedriver likes this.
  4. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Superformance's shipping is incredible. I have had parts show up at my Florida address within 48 hours of placing the order. I can't get the stuff that fast from most American suppliers.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Well worth the investment.

You might want to repaint your plenum as well. You can do this in place. Just clean it real good with some solvent like lacquer thinner. Tape off the top, and cover up the rest of the engine. Get some bright red spray paint to match, and spray the whole top of the plenum. Then get a block of wood and sand the top. You end up with a nice polished aluminum look. I did mine several years ago, and it's still holding up nice.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    That looks great -- and it does not sound especially difficult. Still there are a couple of practical issues to sort out before I deal with the cosmetics, like repainting the plenum and replacing that mangled pipe.