Testing On Hallowed Ground... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testing On Hallowed Ground...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Mar 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Jim, thanks for sharing your unbelievable opportunity with us! All the best.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The reason is that for 40 years she basically sat in a Museum and was trucked to a few shows. We took her completely apart but simply cleaned her rather than repainted/remade various parts that had worn out as 40 years of road/racing use will cause to happen. As she wasn't subjected to that use she really is as she was manufactured not as she was restored. We've documented the cleaning with a huge number of photo's as well as the Art Cleaning Techniques/Process we followed and will publish it all so people can see what I mean. She has her original mufflers as she was a "Street" Show car and her engine is still in Le Mans tune. We have done a few things to make her more street able, new tires for example, but all of these things can and will be put back for concourses and we didn't drill any holes but made clip on brackets to hold the fire system controls for example. We added a removable air cleaner as I do plan to drive her on the Historic Targa Florio but when she's on the Lawn she will be as she was manufactured 40 years ago. As all of this was done by Pininfarina, her original manufacturer, before delivery to me I think it's fair to say she's as close to a 100 point Car as it gets.

3. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Jim: Bravo, bravo, bravo! Would that there were only more of you. Michael

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks. Believe me I know how lucky all of us are.

Best

5. Gary GT

Gary GT Karting

Jan 13, 2007
    Reidsville, NC
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Congrats Jim! The "Yellow Dino" moniker seems to fit rather well by the looks of her. I'll be interested to see what the wind tunnel tests reveal. Truly art on four wheels!

Gary

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Its great to see such a car starting a new life in such good hands.

7. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What a lucky car to have waited forty years to find the right owner. :)

I can't wait for the road test review once you get her home and find time to get comfortable behind the wheel.

Congrats again Mr G!

>8^)
    ER

8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Beautiful car, Jim, congratulations.

Malcom McDowell, 1971.

Onno

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Jim,

It will be interesting to see what judging score it does get. I agree that it is 100 points based upon the definition of originality but I suspect there will be arguments about meaningless details as it get judged against something that just finished a high level ground-up restoration. Are you planning on having it judged at one of the events?

A serious question: Has any of the surface deteriorated over time? Pf and Scaglietti both used surface fillers (can't remember the trade name) that was applied over the formed surfaces to get the final smooth surface. This material has not always been completely stable over a long number of years.

A second serious question: How much side to side variation have you been able to detect on the body? As a hand formed body the left and right sides are prone to have variation; sometime fairly pronounced. When you have the wind tunnel testing done you might want to see if they will do a full digitizing of the surface. You can get displays to see the actual surface lines and how the shapes mutate.

Jeff

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The surface and original paint all seem excellent. If you measure there is definitely side to side variation. While I will have her judged I'm really more interested in enabling people to see what an original Ferrari really looks like. She is shaking off her sleep and heading out into the World. Her first stop will be at The Bahrain GP. The Sun will do her good.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What an amazing coup to pry this car loose after all these years! Then to have the makers ensure with much detailed work that it is once again in fine form after a very long hibernation. There seems to be only modest appreciation here of what you have achieved in orchestrating all of this...
    Can you share a picture of the steering wheel and instrument cluster in front of the driver? Thanks
    CH

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The steering wheel is mounted on a tilt that makes it easier to climb in. In front of the driver is a Tach.

Will snap a photo when I'm with her again.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Something to look forward to. Thanks for the details!
    CH

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I don't see how this car could not be a 100 point car by the clear meaning of the rules. It's like judging a 2008 340; this car just left the factory and hasn't been touched other than fluids and safety issues. It's an interesting hypothetical - yet real!

Of course there's always Jim's dashboard Jesus . . . . . that's probably worth a point

Get Shaughnessy to send you his dashboard hula girl, with original wrapper.

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Jim - I know you pride yourself on actually using your prized automotive possessions more than most would, but do you anticipate any change in that behavior with this one given this car's unique level of originality?

I'd also love to see a shot of this car next to a production Dino (anyone have one in their files?) or maybe even a Lotus Elise for size comparison purposes.

Thanks!

>8^)
    ER

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I don't plan on driving her in the snow...

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It would be kind of cool to see her with skis up front, a bit Italian Bondish....
    :D

18. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    The dashboard hula girl has escaped the confines of the Shaughnessy Estate.

19. GPofItaly

GPofItaly Rookie

Jul 8, 2006
    it was a great surprise to cross into you at the hotel in Torino last Saturday; and an even greater pleasure to hear of your plan for the day with the Dino Competizione. I remember driving her at Cambiano several years ago and I am now eager to see her back to the daylight of Villa D'Este. I did not join you at Balocco to be fair to Paolo and to the Pininfarina company, although it would have been a fantastic scoop to be there. I hope you understand the reasons why I could not share your enthusiasm that day and declined your invitation.
    One question: when did you acquire this jewel? Was that before the P4/5 project, as I understand?
    Viva il tuo amore per le auto più belle! Ciao.
    Giancarlo

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi

Great to see you as well. I totally understand. I persuaded PF to sell her to me last June long after P 4/5 was finished.

Best

21. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #47 kvisser, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do you mean this dashboard hula girl? She was spotted in the confines of 57 Tour de France recently.

regards

ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    I don't think we ever got a confirmation on which "Hallowed Ground" it was tested on. Having only seen Ferrari's test track from the overpass, I cannot say I recognize the photos. Though the highway exit does look familiar....

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Balocco.

24. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah