Testing On Hallowed Ground... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Testing On Hallowed Ground...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Mar 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The wind tunnel was very interesting. She has about the same CX as a small truck (.400) vs P 4/5's of .300. You can also see that she is made by human hand as she's a bit non symmetrical from side to side. Her wings do work especially in the rear but her nose makes so much lift even with full front wing she is a bit unbalanced. We got a lot of data and reset her wings as they were originally as they look better that way and I doubt I'll be taking her over 200...

Will post photo's soon.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's funny that the CX is that of a small truck. By looking at it, one would never guess such things. Great post.

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Must have been quite an experience.
    I'm curious how the rear wing is mounted. The drilled brackets are beautiful but is there some sort of structural support behind the bodywork to take the loads?

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'd probably have to do a pronounced airfoil shape on the front one, to get downforce there......like the World of Outlaws ones,...:D

Nice pics...thanks!

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes but I will check that out.

Best

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Outlaws now those Puppys have WINGS! :)

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Napolis,

Thank you for the update and the comment on the side to side variation. Did the side to side variation show itself and the aero data?

Other than the front wing any other surprises on what did or did not work as expected? Since it was a show car it would have been more important to achieve a look that appeared to be proper aero instead of the actual results.

Curious if Pf has data on other of their cars from that vintage to compare the .400 to. At that point in time when the car was done there were very few wind tunnels for the automakers to use. In the mid 70s, don't know for how long before or after, GM sometimes used Cal Tech in Pasadena.

Jeff

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi

Sadly there is very little data of 60ies cars from the wind tunnel. The problem of front end lift did however effect them all and Ferrari did add Canards to the P 3 to try and help.

Pininfarina and I may put more of my cars into the tunnel and publish all the Data at some point as we feel it would be very interesting to students of Aerodynamics.

Best

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Napolis,

I for one would be very interested to see the data across multiple period cars.

You must have it already but there were a series of articles in Car Styling, later made into a book, that detailed the Ford GT40 and subsequent development to your Mark IV. As I remember, not home to check my issues, they did publish the aero data. It was interesting to following how this then lead to further work on the body shapes. There may have even been photos of them doing aero testing at various degrees of angle to see what happened when the car would be sideways. Back then it was pretty much intuitive and they all were getting to understand how important downforce was versus low drag.

Jeff