Teves v. Bosch? | FerrariChat

Teves v. Bosch?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Nov 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    #1 Carmellini, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    What are the advantages/disadvantages between having a Teves or Bosch brake system? Is one more difficult or expensive to maintain?

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I do know the Teeves has been around since mid 80s and is hard to impossible to find parts for. The Bosch is newer and more modern. Same reason the brembo capipers are preferred over Teeves calipers. Newer, parts availability, supported. Try rebuilding Teeves calipers vs brembo calipers. Ugh.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Bosch uses a traditional vacuum booster. Teves uses a hydraulic booster (integral with the master cylinder) pressurized by and electric pump and the power brakes will work with engine off but ignition on.

4. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    I can't find definitive info on a MY or serial number line in the sand? I can't imagine these were randomly installed at Maranello? Since you mention difficulty in part sourcing, it is a doable retrofit?

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It was not unusual for Ferrari to mix and match rendering any chassis number if there is one only a guideline anyhow.
    It's not just swapping a pump there is a while ABS ecu as well. The retrofit would include the ABS computer, wiring changes, relays, fuses, sensors, additional components, plumbing, etc. I suspect its a huge job.
    I found a brand new Teeves ABS pump from a Jag shop myself as a spare just in-case. Just buy a spare pump and accumulator bulb, problem avoided, as a suggestion. I'd be more worried about valve guides and headers myself.

Qavion likes this.
  6. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    LOL....agreed. Still would like to understand the logic behind each system. Guessing that Bosch was an upgrade and was done for a reason; what is the reason?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Teves was an older system and was not as advanced in its operation. It was also far more expensive. The last reason alone was enough to cause its demise. Only earlier cars used Teves. I am not aware if there was a specific chassis # ever announced when it was discontinued but I am sure there was one if for no other reason than there were production changes needed to mount and install the different components. I have never seen a car that was capable of having either installed.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Come clean about where you bought that pump so the rest of us can join in.

9. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Finding a brand new one is going to be difficult and expensive but used pumps from Jags are really easy to find. Just look on eBay or any of the salvage yard sites for a good clean one.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohh, I found it online googling part numbers and xrefing, it was the only one they had. If needed to I bet I could find another bit may take a dozen calls or so.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app