Thank you Birdman! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Thank you Birdman!

Discussion in '308/328' started by RBV24961, Feb 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. antoninosavoca

antoninosavoca Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2011
    Montesilvano Italy
    Full Name:
    antonino savoca
    Ciao Salvatore,my fuse box is still working well after some solders,but i will use your very, ,very, good, fuse box , when it will be again available Please inform us about it .
    Cordiali saluti and congratulations for your excellent work
    Antonino from Italy

2. jasper_40

jasper_40 Karting

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Shepherd
    Installed a Birdman fusebox as the fist job after purchase because the indicators flashed slowly & were dim.

The new fusebox made no diference to the indicators and there was no noticable difference to any of the other electrics. The OEM's I took out looked pretty much perfect anyway.

However, some of the old fuses were loose fitting and the clip in fuse is undoubetly going to make a better connection than the spring loaded OEM.

In all I was happy I made the change as a preventitive measure although I would have preferred a push in continental fuse instead of the glass fuse.

As an added bonus, changing the fusebox provided an opportunuty to correct all the awful, awful bodged in-line connections by previous owners.

Cheers,

PS the indicator problems were solved with new bulbs and re-making all the earthing connections

3. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Anyone who did the Birdman conversion willing to sell me the original fusebox cover for the white (left) GT4 fusebox? That would be very helpful, thanks!

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I may have a spare...got to check.

5. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I may have one as well...

6. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Excellent news :)

7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Jay, Fave,
    found anything? Would be fantastic, one of the last parts i am missing!

Thanks,
    Adrian

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #108 Brian A, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I installed the Birdman fuseboxes 350 miles ago as a preventative measure in my recently acquired 1983 308 GTS QV. There had been some signs of overheating in the original fuseboxes.

Rather than use a simple felt marker pen to label the wires, I printed numbers using a Brother label maker (see photo). An advantage of doing this is that the label tape is heat activated, so any heat will change the color of the label.

Upon checking the fuses last night, I discovered left fuse 3 (fuel pump) and left fuse 5 (HVAC) were still showing signs of heat. I buffed the insides of the spade lugs with a piece of sand paper, sprayed Contact Cleaner into the spades and, for fuse 3, squeezed the spade a little tighter. The surprise was that these spade lugs were not especially loose in the first place.

Next step will be replacing the spades if they show heat again. Dielectric grease might also be helpful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 79GTS

79GTS Karting

Mar 2, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Reid
    Despite what all the negative Nancy's say on this forum about keeping things original, etc. etc. (which I agree with to a point), I installed Birdman Fuseblocks and am very impressed with the ease of installation and overall quality. We can all say what we want about Ferrari quality, but the electrical design leaves something to be desired and I almost watched my low mileage Euro GTS burn because of the original fuseblocks. I have nothing but good things to say, and am glad these parts are out there. While they may not show huge increases in performance over fresh OE blocks they are a great alternative for those not competing on the concourse circuit, but simply looking for preventative maintenance.

10. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    +1 Birdman rocks!

11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Negative Nancy?? It's just a point of view.

I am no Concourse Clive :D but I will not fix something that is not broken. Get your multimeter out and test continuity etc across the original terminals first. If volts and ohms are good and terminals look nice, why change? There are usually plenty of other things to get right on a car 30+ years old :)

A low mileage car is one that hasn't been used, so corrosion and dry solder joints is not surprising. The effect of not driving the car is more obvious on hoses, but for sure is there on electrics, too..

For the rest, why be a Fiddling Freddie ?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think your fuel pump is going bad...see what amps it's drawing.