THANKSGIVING WINES | FerrariChat

THANKSGIVING WINES

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Steelton Keith, Nov 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hello everyone. I thought it might be fun to have a thread on wine selection for the big American holiday. Opinions differ on the perfect wines to accompany the traditional meal. At our home, we drink mostly French, Italian and New Zealand during the year, but for the quintessential American holiday, it's all American wine (even the sparklers). Over the next couple of weeks I'll post suggestions and hope you do the same. Tell me what you are serving, especially the stuffing, the sides, the gravies, turkey alternatives, and I'll do my best to suggest specific wines to consider. I hope that others will do the same.
    Interested?

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #2 David_S, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Great idea!

However? I'm kinda the opposite. Mostly partake of US wines, with a smattering of Australian, Chilean, Spanish, Italian, and just a bit of French most of the year.

For Thanksgiving? Pretty much always fall back to a Gewürztraminer, and haven't found any from USA that really suit my palate.

3. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Ribera del Duero and Cal. Zinfandels for Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe a Champagne, or Pinot Noir with appetizers.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    For Canadian thanksgiving. Got invited to my kind of girlfriends godparents for the feast. Since it was a large group of adults. I also wanted to come with a gift. I've known her godparents since childhood. Played baseball with their sons as a kid back in 1979. Didn't want to spend mega bucks, but didn't want to be "cheap" either. Did Kirkland wine as a gift. I'll be doing American thanksgiving with former American neighbors. The wife works at the local college in administration. A few of the instructors are transplants and have no family in the area. So they'll have them and a few other friends over. So I'm thinking the Kirkland brands again.

5. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Let's begin with aperitif....nothing like a glass with bubbles to set a festive mood. Two of the best American sparkling wines are from the earliest French invaders...Taittinger and Roederer. I recommend the Taittinger Brut and Blanc de Noir. Roederer's Estate has been the reviewers' favorite for many years....you can't go wrong. For an extra level of elegance, try their L'Ermitage

6. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Second in the series....Riesling. Dry Riesling is a great way to accompany turkey with gravy...the acid and crispness of the wines cuts through the fat of the gravy These wines have character, freshness and are low in alcohol. I recommend: Eroica...widely available from Ch. Ste. Michelle in Washington State. Two great NY State wineries making terrific rieslings are Dr. Konstantin Frank and Ravines. (Ravines makes a wonderful PN but more on that later). If you can find it, try a bottle of Forge Cellars Riesling...small quantities made. Except for the Forge, these wines are meant to be drunk young, so find the latest vintages available.

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    For those of you still planning on Thanksgiving, we are staying with the white wines in this post. Many of us know pinot grigio..the same grape in the U.S. is mostly known as Pinot Gris. This is a nice, round, flavorful white...almost always non-oaked. It does not have quite the sharpness/fizziness of the grigio. In keeping with my thoughts of offering suggestions from different regions, I have three for your consideration: widely available and always a great QPR is the King Estates (OR). They make a lower level pinot gris called Acrobat that I do not recommend. In California, the sparkling wine maker "J" (part of Jordan winery) also makes a very nice pinot gris. In NY state, the lovely Four Graces pinot gris is worth seeking out. These wines go well with white meat of turnkey, lighter sauces, and will also compliment any fish or shellfish sides.

8. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Next up...Rhone style Whites. These wines are the "anti-Chardonnay" and have the spice, complexity and body to stand up to the variety of T-giving foods. In the U.S. Rhone style usually means the Paso Robles area of Cali. Bonny Doon (and one of the original Rhone Ranger winemakers, Founder Randall Graham) makes a terrific, value priced Le Cigare Volante White. Also look for the blends from Tablas Creek and Zaca Mesa. These are widely available and in the under $ 35 category. A terrific Wine to seek out is the McPrice Myers Terra Blanche. These Rhone style wines are a blend of two or more grapes (Rousanne, Picpoul, Viognier, etc.) Drink up!

9. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I have had expressions of interest about Chardonnay but I infrequently drink American Chardonnay. Many have too much oak to compliment a turkey unless you are smoking it. I can't make any recommendations; don't know enough about it. Next post we will turn to reds. Sorry.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    for a great chardonnay - I would go with a French Pulingy Montrachet... or any Montrechet as that is going to be Chardonnay ... down side is its usually going to be $$$$ but Pulingy should be moderate... nutty - buttery flavor... and no much if any wood.

my fav: Jadot Corton Charlemagne - 1996... or 2006. matter of fact with this wine you don't even need the turkey!

11. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hello Tom. I fully agree and you and I have similar tastes. For Thanksgiving (see post # 1) I choose all American wines. Next comes Rhone style red: syrah, Grenache, and blends recommended to compliment the Turkey and all the sides.

12. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    For Thanksgiving reds, the Rhone Rangers and Pinot Noir is my favorite. For those of you who like Cabs, you are on your own. If you like flavorful, spicy, sometimes minty mouthfuls of sturdy but not overpowering wine, look to these vineyards producing Rhone style reds (Pinot Noir tomorrow). In California, the same two wineries I mentioned above produce terrify wines for the price: Zaca Mesa and Tablas Creek. Look also for Justins (their Syrah is terrific) and Beckman labels. Adelaida shows up on lots to top value lists but I haven't had a chance to taste it.

13. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    In Oregon, two wineries stand out in Syrah/Grenache and they are Folin and Jaxon. These wines are generally under $ 30 and are ready to drink upon release. Gives these Rhone blends about a half hour to an hour of air time prior to serving.

14. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Last post of this series and my favorite Thanksgiving wine: Pinot Noir. For a bargain priced bottle, see if you can find "The Pinot Project". Should be under $ 20...purchased Cali grapes made by a winemaker who knows what's going on. I have tried to recommend wines from different regions, and I am again touting Ravines, a NY Finger Lakes wine that is beautiful and fairly priced. There is a separate thread in this section of Oregon PN but let me highlight Dom. Drouhin, Dom. Serene, Yamhill, Panther Creek, and Bethel Heights. In Cali PN, try Patz and Hall, Gary Farrell and at a mid price point the Au Bon Climat selections are always tasty. Drink up everyone and Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours. Keith

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Happy Thanksgiving, Keith, to you and yours.

Picked up a 2005 Gigondas (Perrin et Fils) and a 2005 Mommessin Beaujolais Morgon.
    Label looked like this.
    [​IMG]

Also, please forgive us, the wife and I bought a couple of bottles of the newly released Georges DeBoeuf Nouveau Beaujolais. To bring to the in laws.

T

16. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Happy Thanksgiving to all and enjoy your time with family and friends. One of my best friend's daughter had twins last night...boys and Mum doing well, so we all have a little something extra to celebrate. Open some bubbles, boys!

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Very cool. Congrats to the new parents.
    T