The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Forza Scuderia, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    There will not be a mid-engine car even with V6 or any other cylinder count sold by the factory for under $250K. There will be no endlessly speculated on 'Dino.' It's not happening. Ferrari executives are already under enormous pressure by institutional shareholders who are hammering the company saying their 8-cylinder line needs to be more profitable and that they need to actually raise prices. And the incredible demand they have and waiting lists for years means they can. The very last thing management is going to do is introduce a cheaper and therefore lower profit mid-engine car. So no, it's not going to happen unfortunately. Not factory new anyway.

uhn2000 and SVCalifornia like this.
  2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It would be interesting to put some volume to each of these models and pencil out the revenue and timeframes, just to compare it to the perceived goals of the RACE company.

Goosebug likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is another important factor, which is offer and demand - Ferrari seem to believe now they have easy sales with demand exceeding supply no matter what they do, but my personal (over cautious) feeling is that it may backfire in some future, near or far.
    As a public company they are now only looking at the next quarter, for which they are probably safe.

day355 and sampelligrino like this.
  4. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    There is no way to know exactly what the pathway is for every car and for every dealer. And for the very exclusive limited number cars you can expect the pathway to get ever more intense.
    For example ... with the Pista coupe the factory sent the dealers lists of certain dealers customers they suggested they offer the car to. With the Pista Spider ... which wasn't even a limited number production car ... the factory sent lists to dealers of exactly which of the dealers customers the dealer was allowed to offer the car to. No latitude. No discretion in the allocation even by the dealer. For a non-limited production car. So that gives you an idea. The best advice I can give you is to simply be the best customer you can ... for the factory as well as the dealer.
    Buy factory new cars as many and as often as you can...including some that aren't in incredibly high demand. Like a 12-cylinder GTC4 Lusso for example. And of course buy as many of the non-limited production cars as you can handle and hopefully use. And of course build a great relationship with you salesman as well as the sales manager at your dealership. Attend dealer events and participate as much as you can. Be a high value supporter of the factory, the brand and your dealership. That will put you in the best position possible and give you the best chance you can get. There are no guarantees unless you literally buy and collect 5 cars a year for many years from the factory. There are customers who do that. Those people get whatever car they want. Everyone else ... it's like trying to get into Harvard where there are 20 highly qualified applicants vying for every slot. You really need to be one of the very best customers.

Emprezz44, scuderia-seat and uhn2000 like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Really sorry, but 20 M $ is nothing.
    Stay home.

Marcel Massini

6. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Yes in the world of Ferrari limited production number cars it IS nothing. The point I was making was that even if one is technically in the UHNW category AND has purchased say 3 brand new Ferraris in the past 5 years ... one STILL cannot expect to get a limited production number car.
    Because that still doesn't make one a top customer of the factory or the dealership. It's THAT selective and THAT competitive. Cheers

7. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    It ll be very funny to see people in the starting block for buying Ferrari without soul...with tubo & electric engine ...At this moment, remember you dont buy a Ferrari, but just a badge !
    You ll be in a trap , it ll be your no choice...

DGPF likes this.
  8. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    That comment right there is why Ferrari needs to and will make the F173 faster than a LaFerrari.
    And it needs to look and sound incredible. To smash into pieces exactly that kind of perception. And ... they are going to do so quite convincingly I assure you.

9. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Who need more power ??? Ferrari owners aren t proffessional drivers, still on the open roads ! it s just marketing and ego satisfaction ! Such a future don t interest me, i m an enthusiant, i dont need a brand new accessorie...

10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Turbo engine makes noise, not sound !

11. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Excellent post looking forward to the future

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    $ 20 M? UHNWI?
    Ultra High Net Worth Individuals are defined as having a net worth of at least US$ 30 (thirty) million in investable assets net of liabilities (after deducting residential and passion investments such as art, planes, yachts and real estate). As per the last count, there were 211,275 UHNW individuals in the world, with a total combined net worth of US$ 29.7 trillion. Billionaires are a special category of UHNW individuals, having net worth in excess of US$1 billion. According to the Billionaire Census 2014, there were 2,325 billionaires in the world, with a combined net worth of US$7.3 trillion.

Marcel Massini

13. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    #38 Forza Scuderia, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Yes you are correct about technical definition of UHNW. But is there really that much difference in lifestyle and what they can afford on personal consumption items like cars between someone worth $20mm and someone worth $30mm
    We are splitting hairs and missing the larger point. The larger point is that just because you have $20mm or $30mm or $50mm or $200mm doesn’t mean you can walk into a Ferrari dealership and say “I’d like one of those Iconas please.”
    Your net worth does not determine your ability to get these cars. It is what you can do for the brand by owning ( celebrity like Gordon Ramsay ) or it is ... are you in the top echelon of customers for the factory and the dealer. As in you have bought DOZENS of brand new cars from the factory. The factory knows who you are. They know your name already. They know you are one of their very best customers. That’s what determines getting an allocation for a limited number car.
    They don’t go by how much money you have. They don’t care. There are millions of millionaires. But what have you done for Ferrari in the past 5 or 10 years? That’s what drives allocation of these very special cars.
    And of course Marcel ... I know that YOU know this. You are one of the true authorities who contributes to these pages and everyone on here should have the absolute highest respect for you as I do. This post is simply to bring the people who are newer to the Ferrari universe up to speed on how things work. And thank you for all of your very helpful contributions on here. You are one of the greats! Cheers

uhn2000 likes this.
  14. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    The economy has been pretty good recently, that's for sure..

15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have a TM PS on order and have a few other Ferraris too (very blessed to be able to say that!) But my point was more about how reasonable it is to buy 5 cars per year (15 over next three years) and find time to enjoy the process of spec’ing, buying, owning and driving them all. Even if you can afford it there are only a very few wealthy people that buy cars they may never get time to drive or even see! So is the customer being forced to choose a path of what he really likes instead of just ‘everything’ and how will that change the whole customer equation - who is able to have what and what the residuals will be if, yes, there are rare cars but the actual number of limited or rare models themselves is almost unlimited?

16. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    I’m not saying that you HAVE to buy and collect multiple cars a year in order to get a limited number car. I’m just saying that’s the only way that you can DEFINITELY get whatever you want. Everyone else has to just do their best and hope for the best. In other words if you aren’t a global celebrity or multiple car per year buyer ... there is always going to be some uncertainty about which cars you can get and which ones you can’t. And it varies. The 812 is effectively sold out of its anticipated production run even though it’s not limited and it’s not even VS like the Pista. Even though the factory did not dictate who got the car and it was pretty much up to the dealers to dole out from their own allocation as they saw fit... there were just so many orders for the car on the books soon after it started production that it is,
    with rare exception, effectively sold out forever at almost every dealership. The new F142M-FL isn’t at that point right now but it will be shortly after launch. Nobody is going to say ‘hey the factory said you don’t have the right buyer profile criteria’ but what is going to happen is that within a couple or few months after showing at Geneva there will be so many customer orders on the books at every dealership that it will be for all intents and purposes ungettable by people who wait to read the first test reviews in Evo or Car and Driver. The 812 convertible even though regular production ... will be EXTREMELY difficult to get because their hasn’t been a convertible V-12 available in ages. So the sheer pent-up demand for that car is going to make them go faster than tickets to Pearl Jam at The House of Blues. The 812 TDF is going to be epic, limited production and pretty much unobtainable generally unless you have like 5 recently factory bought Ferriari’s sitting in your garage right now. With the F173, even though that is technically ‘open enrollment’ regular production car ... the reality is that the first 2+ years of production of that car will be effectively spoken for at launch by indications of interest by the top customers of each dealership.
    The point is this ... the roadmap is laid out. You need to figure out what you might want and move early. Start having conversations with your dealer NOW. Tell them which cars you have a very keen interest in way in advance of them coming out.
    Ask them what you can do to move up the consideration stack.
    Get in there. Buy something.
    Order a Portofino. Order a GTC4 Lusso. Get on the factory’s radar. You can’t just show up months after the Top Gear episode and expect to get one of these sought after cars whether regular or limited production. You need to be well established with BOTH your dealer and the factory or you’re going to get effectively shut out of the most desirable sought after cars. Hope this is helpful.

09Scuderia and uhn2000 like this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Why no mention of the Cliente program or competition cars for limited car allocations? I know someone in F1 Cliente with two F1 cars and two xx cars and he has standing offer for every limited car. Of course, you have to know how to drive them!

18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Your pricing quote is far too low, you are not going to have LaF performance for 600k usd. Until launch day no one knows the finale pricing, but all indications are pointing to double that level

19. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Yes you are right. But by the time you are in Corse Clienti you are by then already a meaningful customer of Ferrari.

I’m trying to help newer people understand the lay of the land and help them put themselves in the best position to get some of what they may want in terms of sought after cars.

Members of Corsa Clienti don't need anyone’s advice on navigating car allocation.
    Best

09Scuderia likes this.
  20. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    So let me get this straight ... you are saying the F173 ... a regular open-ended production car which is, when all is said and done, a new platform 488 with some electric motors added on ... you're saying that car is going to have an MSRP of DOUBLE $600k or $1.2-million dollars?

This is the diplomatic version of my response to that ... you are wrong by a mile sir.

21. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You rather understate what this car will be in this post but term it as a La Ferrari beater previously. Regular is not a word that will be used to describe it after launch, it is a halo car. Wrong by a mile ? We will see later in the year.

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #47 JTSE30, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    The opening post speaking of KERS I think is wrong. If I correctly understand, Ferrari's primary motivation is compliance with upcoming European laws regarding emissions and as such a KERS system is not going to matter at all or at least, not enough. I think we are talking about big batteries able to run the car without emissions for perhaps up to 100 miles.

Instead of KERS I think we are going to find electric motors and battery packs, lots of weight. Ferrari Hybrids is what Ferrari publicly discussed last year.

Curious times ahead.

Additional Reference:

Maurizio Reggiani (Lamborghini Technical Director) conceded that the move to hybridization hasn't come from choice but necessity. "The law will determine what level of pure-electric driving you need," he toldCar and Driver at the launch of the Aventador SVJ. "There are several discussions ongoing" about that, he noted, with various requirements in the under-20-mile range, while "China is suggesting 50 km [31 miles], and normally we only develop one car worldwide."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a23479701/2020-lamborghini-aventador-next-generation/

and

But things are getting tougher. Lamborghini has no immediate plans—and no obvious product—for a further attempt anytime soon, and Reggiani admits that the increase in weight we can expect to see in next-generation hybrid supercars is going to make it harder to lower the bar further.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a23513575/lamborghini-nurburgring-records-future/

Lukeylikey likes this.
  23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    No one has thrown this out yet, but I think it will be a big thought to come...

What happens to older models, both vintage and more recent, if such huge prices are expected on new models?

I would think the “Rising Tide” theory comes in to play, at least to a certain degree.

If Ferrari is really after the “Luxury Brand” and “Icon” status than what they already have, it seems this could create an interesting atmosphere for Vintage models.

It also seems to shore up depreciation on more recent models, at least for the next couple of years.

No idea how all of this Brand Positioning will play out, but only time will tell.

09Scuderia likes this.
  24. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    If you are implying that I’m contradicting myself ... I’m not.
    The F173 is both of what I said.
    It is the new platform 488 in terms of mechanicals ... mid-engine twin turbo charged V-8 ... plus electric motors now. That’s what it is. If you took the engine from the Pista, and gave it a new generation turbo charger how much power would that make ... say 740 hp? Now add 160 hp from next generation hybrid electric assistance. Isn’t that 900hp?
    This car simply by adding hybrid to a Pista it would have better power to weight ratio than LaFerrari. Now imagine a next generation of that. That’s what the F173 is. So yes it’s going to outperform the previous generation hyper car. That doesn’t mean people will pay 7-figures for it.
    By your logic a 458 Speciale should have cost $1-million because that car outperformed it’s previous generation hyper car the Enzo Ferrari didn’t it? But a 458 Speciale didn’t MSRP for $1-million ... did it?

In fact a 458 Speciale is only 3.6 seconds off a LaFerrari lap at Fiorano. It doesn’t take much to close that gap. And the 458 is two generations removed from the F173 and it’s not turbo or hybrid assisted. Your logic is this, same performance equals same money. But what you’re missing is the genius of Ferrari...
    This is what they do... they make their widely available V-8 cars outperform their precious generation ultimate V-12s and then people say to themselves ‘Wow hyper car performance at a third the price ... and I ... little old me ... can know what it was like to feel the acceleration of that hyper car every day? Sign me up!’ And that’s exactly what is going to happen here. LaFerrari performance obtainable by mere mortals who aren’t named Gordon Ramsay and don’t have his bank account. Yes LaFerrari performance will in fact be obtainable in the next 12 months for $500k and $600k nicely optioned. and you know what?
    It’s a beautiful thing.

25. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool thread, thanks @Forza Scuderia for your time to share all this insight and knowledge. We just came back from a TM Pista appointment in Italy (Feb 12th) and from what I am seeing their order books are slammed and they are very busy at Ferrari. I had a long conversation wth a representative and I can further attest to your point on buying cars, they also want well optioned ones - that really counts a lot to them.