The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Forza Scuderia, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Can you give me a link?thx

2. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    Uuummm ... yeah ... no. The move up in new Ferrari pricing structure is not going to dampen the depreciation of older models and it is certainly not going to buoy them. At all. If anything the new models will age previous generations even more rapidly and not in a good way.
    Put the F173 next to anything that came before it and that older car that was still looking pretty cool up until now is going to look old and busted. Any non-limited regular production Ferrari is going to suffer an even stronger wave of depreciation in the next three years as all of these clean sheet designs come on line.

scuderia-seat likes this.
  3. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    #53 Forza Scuderia, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    You are absolutely right! And if anyone who is trying to work their way higher in the customer stack ever gets a chance to be considered for an allocation... make sure that you express to your salesman that you are going to order a heavily optioned car loaded with carbon fiber and a filled up order sheet and then carry through on that promise. That can make the crucial difference in getting the allocation nod over somebody else. A great and very helpful thing to point out to the good people on here. Ferrari Chat rules! ( Insert bicep flex emoji here lol )

uhn2000 likes this.
  4. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Yeah I don't think they are worried about it. Nor should they be.
    There are over 30-million multi-millionaires globally.
    Ferrari only makes 10,000 cars annually ( maybe they even go up to 15,000 annually with new models and the SUV over the next few years )
    That still means only 1 in every 2,000 can even get a new car allocated to them no matter how much money they have. It's like when you walk into a top restaurant without reservations and they literally have zero tables to give you because there's a party sat at every single table and every single table is booked for the rest of the night and the next 15 nights as well. That's what Ferrari's order book is going to be like with these new cars. They are going to be so good that you should assume that you need to reserve yours now or years in advance in order to get one unless you are already a top client with major juice at the factory. Oh and you can stop hoping for a recession that will break the product demand fever. Whether a recession occurs in the next 3 years or not, it will not matter even one iota. For every buyer that pulls out 10 more will step forward to take his place. If you are new to Ferrari you need to know this. Best

09Scuderia likes this.
  5. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    It's not my place to point out who gave us what intelligence. I am happy to credit certain members if they request me to but otherwise I'm not going to call them out by name or link people to their posts out of respect, discretion and deference to them. If they want to call further attention to themselves at any point or share further intelligence they know well how to do it and that's up to them and it's not for me to go there without them saying so to me. Best

ttn27 and 09Scuderia like this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #56 Lukeylikey, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Sorry if I appear obtuse but your reply, though full of excellent information, is long debated and well known here. It does not answer the question. What I am saying is that with now 5 models per year to buy instead of 1 or 2, that will inevitably split the customer base. There will be far fewer people who can either afford or be bothered to buy all models. So in the future there are a number of things that could happen (this is a general question to all, not just the OP);-

1. Far fewer people will buy all products and we can expect that Ferrari will have to apply new/different criteria to sell out of some of the nicer cars. What might that criteria be?

2. Or...enough people will exist who will still buy ‘everything’ because new customers from newly wealthy markets will take care of that, in which case the same allocation criteria as today will prevail, just those traditional VIP customers who continue to buy one or maybe two of Ferrari’s products per year will be further down the order in the future? What are the implications of that and will it apply in every market?

3. Much of today’s demand relies on people who wish to own certain cars because they either increase in value or cost very little to hold. This means the used market is critical to maintaining Ferrari new car demand (actually the same for all brands, just amplified with Ferrari because the MSRP is so much higher and if you get it wrong your product becomes very expensive very quickly). Can the used market absorb so many new models? If it cannot and you believe option 2 above will hold true will your answer revert to option 1 if the used market cannot keep pace with either the new pricing or the new number of models and production numbers (although planned production number increases do not seem difficult for the market to absorb in isolation)?

4. Or...Ferrari’s intention is to temporarily increase profitability by adding new model variants and ‘spec’ to what they produce ahead of adding long term profitability with SUV volume. If the used market cannot absorb all these new models, they will simply scale the number back in the future (I don’t think anyone believes they really want to force-feed the market even at the cost of poor residual experience for customers). This will happen after 2022 when PuroSangue is in full flow and new model options to increase production and profitablility and widen the customer base (a la Porsche) will present themselves.

5. Some other outcome?

Personally I think option 2 is massive risk for Ferrari if that is their strategy because traditional customers could turn off the brand if their previous buying habits no longer afford them the best cars, and if newly rich customers merely replace older customers Ferrari will be building much higher risk into its base. Option 4, where these extra models are a way of temporarily increasing profitability ahead of PuroSangue, which could lead to a much larger increase in volume is worth consideration - if Ferrari could gauge this well, most customers would buy more of these special cars for a short period and the residual would hold. Eventually the customer base gets widened by the new SUV and its inevitable smaller brother, and their spin-offs etc. But this starts to look like Porsche++ and is it really their plan? I suspect that all roads lead to option 1 where there will be different criteria in the future (at some point) and most customers will end up choosing what they like and want to use most, from a wide range of model variants, and paying a little more in depreciation for the privilege.

7. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Being obtuse? Where are we ... on the set of Shawshank Redemption? Lol

Man I thought I over think things but you got me beat hands down and you are waaaaay overthinking this.

It's really simple actually.

1. Stop thinking about depreciation dynamics. Numbered production special editions ...the 499 piece limited edition cars and Iconas of the world ... those are ALWAYS going to be collectors items and trade above MSRP. How much above depends on a blend of desirability and scarcity.
    Every other car where the production number is uncapped and not limited to a few hundred examples that everyone is well aware of... everything else ... is going to depreciate steadily and inevitably until it drops about 70-80 % below MSRP and then if it has a still loyal following,
    then it will start to gently come back up the other side of the curve over a period of time.

2. Again, nobody is saying you HAVE to buy 5 new cars a year from the factory to get that Icona F40 that you crave. 5 cars a year should definitely get you whatever you want and there are people who do that. But every dealership is different and the factory could have different rules of engagement for every desirable model depending on their sense of the magnitude of oversubscribed interest for each model. Maybe you have to buy 3 a year. Maybe it's 2. Maybe it's one. Maybe taking factory Pilota schools would help. Maybe participating in official rallies would help. Maybe you would already qualify. Talk to your dealership sales manager.
    Ask them how you can be high enough on the allocation stack in order to get the car you're interested in. There are no guarantees and no set algorithm that will work for every dealer in every market and for every car.

3. Here is the simple and eye-opening math that even wealthy people have to realize they are up against. Let's take a hypothetical exemple of a possible Icona F40. And lets say it is limited to the normal 499 examples for ... and here's the key ... for the entire world. Around 120 of those are going to go to the largest established market, The United States. A few dozen to Germany, a few dozen to France. A few dozen to Switzerland. Other European countries. Many dozens to the Middle East. Then you have China, Japan, Canada, South America. You see where this is going? How many cars can you reasonably expect will reach your home country of the U.K. Maybe 30 or 40 cars. For all of England. Does England have a lot of billionaires? 30 cars wouldn't even satisfy the demand of all the billionaire Ferrari collectors who live in Mayfair. There are around 10 official dealerships in the U.K. So how many cars are they going to get at each dealership? 4. And that's for Owen. Everyone else might get only 3. But let's say it's 4. Are you one of your dealerships top 4 customers? If not, what would it take for you to become one? That's the conversation you need to have with them.

4. Additional General Advice

A. Don't be a just be. Don't be one of those customers who only buys the hot cars. Let's face it they will never admit it but not ALL of the company's cars have massive wait lists. All mid-engine cars will always have massive wait lists because they look like exotic race cars and everyone wants them. Don't just buy those cars only. That doesn't help the factory at all. In fact every time you get one of those cars you are using good will not generating good will. Buy some of the non-812 front engine cars. Want to endear yourself? Buy a V-12 GTC4 Lusso and load it up with options. Ask them what are their relatively slower selling models and buy one or two.
    You will be a hero.

B. Always order your cars with a full option sheet and tons of carbon fiber. Your car just made the dealer and the factory a higher profit margin than everyone else's order and that means a lot to them. Make yourself more valuable to them than the other customers.

Hope this helps. Cheers

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I have no doubt there will always be too many people able to buy Ferraris, what I'm not so sure of is whether there will always be enough people wanting to.
    They have history and brand strength, but they still need to deliver - they cannot just claim high price tags because so many people could afford them.
    Btw I've been owning Ferrari for 23 years now, but what I express is just an opinion and I don't see how my ownership experience should make it right or wrong.

DGPF and sampelligrino like this.
  9. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Ok you go ahead and keep fretting and doubting and deliberating and hesitating and falling lower and lower on the allocation stack. An abundance of other wealthy buyers will soon get woke to the incredible excellence coming out of Ferrari's development pipeline in the next 3 years and all of the good stuff is going to be gone by the time you come around. But I'm sure you love what's in your garage so you won't be too concerned if you don't get any of the amazing new cars and that's cool too. Best regards

09Scuderia likes this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Don't worry, I will survive ;)
    I do not need to spend crazy amounts of money to convince myself everybody should acknowledge how right I am; I know that's not a popular stance here, but 1) I am not disappointed by the 488 (although it's too common and too cheap to get any consideration) and 2) I was genuinely disappointed by the Pista, for both what it brought on the table and how it was priced (although its price seems to be one of its main appeals for people wanting to show what exclusivity they are entitled to).

11. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Godspeed my man! One never needs a better car than a 458 or a 488. The bottom line is that the 911 GT3 and the 488 have been the best sports cars in the world at ANY price for the past 3 years and they have both won every major award during that time and rightly so.

12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    DGPF likes this.
  13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #63 wrs, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    This was what angered me about the F10 M5 I purchased new back in 2013, it was limited at 155 and that pretty much made it suck. I haven't bought a BMW since and none of my cars have been limited at 155 since. All of them can easily exceed that and have.

Another feature I don't want to be stuck with is HELE or auto on/off. It's a damn nuisance to have to push the auto off button all the time in my 2017 RR. I think the 2018 models are the last of Ferrari not to be forced to have that feature.

The system described in the article would pretty much remove all this hype from Ferrari since the additional HP and performance features would be 100% mooted.

DGPF likes this.
  14. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    excellent

15. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Bang, what a posting, what a thread.

Thanks, highly interesting!!!

Mille grazie

16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Maybe both, but I don't know for sure.

You asked...I can only guess.

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    In reply to point one, people are obsessed with depreciation and it therefore drives the market so it is relevant to everyone. The numbered and rarer cars do not always trade over MSRP, only in the last few years or when they are very very rare or very old. Mac F1, F40, F50, CGT all struggled for a good while. The world has a habit of changing the rules and at the moment they happen to be very favourable. That may not always be the case. I also wonder about the Icona Monza in the medium term and would not feel with any great confidence it will head off into the stratosphere. It starts from a very high price, it cannot be driven on the road in its largest market and it only really works for collectors who will rarely or never use it, which limits its market. Ok, so it happens to be one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever built.....;)

To your point two, everyone who has bought a number of cars knows this - rallies, buying history, pilota, events, loading up your spec - except for the sales manager part - it’s your DP you have to be talking to to know what’s what. Same for point three, you need to build a relationship with your dealer, do things properly, build a relationship with the factory etc. Again, common knowledge.

But....the question is how will this massive increase in new models change the system we are already familiar with? Should I take it that from your repeated advice describing the system as it works now that you don’t think it will change?

09Scuderia likes this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not to me. I don't care, really.
    I buy what I like, no matter, if price goes up or down. In 40+ years I have not even thought about that. To me it is completely irrelevant.

Marcel Massini

ewright, jm2, JagShergill and 5 others like this.
  19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I find that in the wider Ferrari-owners world enthusiasts are less worried about depreciation than some here. Most see owning a Ferrari as just another expensive lifestyle/hobby. I know a few who own yachts that drop 10-20% a year and cost another 10% in maintenance and operating, and they don't sweat about it because that's a given

I think the Ferrari owner mentality has changed in the past few years as even normal enthusiasts have turned into investors/speculators. They try to understand the "game" of what they need to do to get that special car that is going to be instantly more valuable (speciale aperta etc) to pay for the hobby. Some who got in 5-7 years ago have done well because of the bubble in prices, but those who are playing it now need to open their eyes, especially anyone who has overreached by buying many of the new cars in the hope of securing a limited edition..

With the economies cooling, and Ferrari taking the froth for themselves by increasing new car prices, I can only think we will go back to the old "normal" where Ferrari just becomes another expensive lifestyle/hobby for those who can afford it without worrying about depreciation.

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I find much to agree with here. I think there are two counter-points to think on though. First, if you are a serial Ferrari buyer the holding cost doesn’t stop you even if it is high because you want to own and drive a Ferrari but it is still important - even wealthy people don’t usually want to burn money unnecessarily (I.e. by market mismanagement from Ferrari in the search of shareholder profits, which would be short-termist anyway).

Second point is that many customers want to buy cars like the Pista but know they need to buy other cars first. Hardly a hardship - not many think the 488 is a poor car - but the cost of a 488, maybe an additional Portofino or a Lusso or even an 812 to add to the garage, if that suddenly becomes doubly expensive it means that paying over the odds to get a lightly used Pista becomes the preferred route for more people. That turns into a vicious circle. Therefore, IMV, depreciation is really quite relevant, even for those who are in it for the driving, in working out how best to plan your buying. Remembering that it takes up to 2 years to get cars even for VIPs placing orders at a customer preview event (my TM 812 was ordered early 2017 arriving soon) means it pays to try and think a little ahead. The other point is that it is great fun specifying your own car and for me personally, I don’t really like buying used unless it is a very special car.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't think your major concerns have been addressed or at least I have not seen it yet. Based on the 15 list proposed here, maybe only the Portofino and the GTC4 Lusso replacements will not require buying many other cars in the lineup. The question remains - how many and for which of the other cars. To answer this, the equation for allocations would have to be much more defined which we all know is not and won't be. Since Ferrari is quite good at keeping secrets concerning if/when a new model will be released, it is assumed that you need to already have bought what looks like an unreasonable amount of cars even for a production car. They all won't be knock outs despite the optimism.

With Ferrari upping the cost to capture the ROI that the used market relied on WRT numbered cars, the dynamic certainly has changed dramatically. As you state, depreciation, at least in the States, is a huge concern for buyers and with the risk increasing to the buyer that will definitely have an effect. Your observation of just buying the flipped car being an increasingly viable option is noted even given the wonderful experience of ordering to taste. With having to manage the allocation requirement guessing, ordering, storage and holding term and actually enjoying the driving of so many cars it would be logical to say that the process going further did not get easier or stay the same (per one of your prior questions).

Another question is what impact does this new pricing and release/production schedule have on your existing cars and cars on order? If all of a sudden its hybrid or bust then that 812 just cost a lot more to flip. Personally, I don't predict a market crash for existing non-hybrids. Batteries and electronics suck and on another thread we are told the LaF batteries just went off warranty. Best.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  22. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I was reading the earnings call transcript from January 31st and Camilleri mentions the intention of entering the GT segment. Just to get it 100% right: he's talking about the return of the "elegant GT" inspired by the 50s&60s classics, correct? Which, from what I've seen in the slides, isn't part of the "Icona" series and will sit along the Portofino and the Lusso. Any further input and/or correction is more than welcome.
    Have a nice Sunday, gentlemen.

G. Pepper, kandi and of2worlds like this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    First - great thread. Ferrari's product future is certainly exciting. I think I can weigh-in with a candid and unique perspective. Ferrari’s business plan of model introductions and access to them is actually brilliant. That said, I was one of those heading down the rabbit hole but after going a little way down I backed out and ran. To be clear, I took my licks, but I’m still glad I didn’t delve deeper. I backed out because the price to play (balanced by my personal levels of satisfaction) was just too high. In the end, I just didn’t LOVE the cars I was obtaining for the price I would need to pay. I absolutely love the new cars but my real passion is more the older models and I own/operate in that world comfortably. Aside from my personal collection, the models that really excite me are the vintage cars and the supercars. I can’t wait to see what’s next for the Icona line, and especially the LaFerrari successor. Knowing that there’s no way I can ever own any of them, I take a lot of pleasure simply as an observer and admirer.

scuderia-seat and Goosebug like this.
  24. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    #74 Forza Scuderia, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    I think you are raising a very good point around which we should clarify things for everyone.

1. KERS is a broad category of any type of technology used to enhance efficiency through recovering of otherwise wasted kinetic energy. It isn't confined to one specific device or solution.
    Regenerative braking is the most common example and there are others. There is also ERS which recovers energy from intense exhaust heat.

2. Ferrari has invested hundreds of millions of euro and around a decade developing their KERS technologies and solutions since 2010 starting with the 599 HY KERS and of course developed it further with the LaFerrari and further still in F1. Considering they have so much expertise, so much invested and such proprietary knowledge on these solutions combined with KERS continued relevance in F1, I believe Ferrari will continue to press their advantage in this area. Even just using some recovered energy from these systems to avoid the ancillary systems from siphoning off too much power from your motive systems is worthwhile and can increase overall performance.

3. TO YOUR POINT I think the term KERS hybrid is confusing and I'm going to stop using it.
    We have seen the term KERS hybrid mentioned so many times in every article on the LaFerrari and on every recent video of Ferrari mules with the yellow triangle on the camouflage that we have gotten used to the term to be shorthand for ... almost generically ... a hybrid Ferrari. And up until now that would have been the case. But there is a more accurate term for future cars that we should all be using ... and that I am going to be using going forward ... and that term is ACTIVE HYBRID.

So yes if you go back onto my Post #1 on this thread listing the 15 cars ... everywhere I said KERS hybrid you should take it to mean ACTIVE HYBRID.

Yes all Ferraris launched as clean sheet designs and on the new modular platforms will be active hybrid
    ( outside of possibly some of the Icona models. ) Yes this means battery packs.
    Yes this means having a setting where coming from your favorite restaurant in Knightsbridge you get in your car hit the starter button and drive 30+ miles before one spark plug even fires.
    These are all going to be full blown active hybrid cars.

scuderia-seat likes this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Are any of these 'full blown active hybrid cars' going to include electric motors on the front wheels? Making full use of 1,000 hp without awd is not efficient.