The $20,000 308.... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The $20,000 308....

Discussion in '308/328' started by CliffBeer, Dec 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Jay, glad we could briefly chat in private and resolve. Seems like we're both reasonable and good guys, who somehow got off on the wrong foot. Cheers and best regards!

2. Davvinci

Davvinci Karting

Dec 11, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    DavidoSpeedo
    Yah, and if you can't be good, then you gotta be lucky. Sounds like a little of both. Slow? How about driving pleasure? I know this is totally subjective but this was made to make you happy. Being a little slower probably keeps me from going overboard most of the time but driving with "zest". I don't think that is what the cops call it, but it's not racing either. Everyday enthusiasm. That is what I get every time I get in.
    14K? Either more than maintenance was done or a little more than BS. That's rich even for a dealer. But the car sounds like a solid investment in happiness. Enjoy!

3. Davvinci

Davvinci Karting

Dec 11, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    DavidoSpeedo
    ZACTLY!!!!

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +2 on that GT4....sounds like an honest ad.

Let us know how it goes, carreaper.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    never called.

been fighting a terrible sinus infection ( drug resistant), and i am back to work. id love the GT4, but i need the black Trans Am or the 911 Targa to go as i am out of parking again. as much fun as i am having with the 911 slopenose convertible, i am seriously rethinking my stance on open top cars now!

6. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i was a coupe guy forever. then a few years ago i drove a miata. a convertible has become the choice car for all good weather driving. :)

7. Davvinci

Davvinci Karting

Dec 11, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    DavidoSpeedo
    #107 Davvinci, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Short story: I went to my local Harbor Freight looking for a thin-wall socket 20mm (13/16) to fit down (you know where) the risers for the plugs that are smaller than the top (Italian engineers must hate Italian mechanics), mic-ed the opening so I could make sure it was right fit and found nothing. Two older guys (even older than me) who I walked in with at the same time asked what I was looking for. Explaining my dilemma, he said he thought he had something that would work. Tired of looking, I followed him and his buddy to a typical ranch style (this is not a perv story) where he opens the garage to a full shop. He digs in his toolbox and pulls out an old Craftsman socket turned down smaller on the business end. I told him the small end was great but it still wouldn't fit down the hole; the other half was too big. He takes the socket over to his "Brown and Sharp" lathe, turns down the rest of the socket and, of course, tells me not to forget where to bring it back to.
    NEVER underestimate the abilities of a person you don't know. Or even one you do. Especially in this arena. Had a thread I started recently on caps and rotors recently because of price. McCann had Marelli distributor caps for $128. No one could come close. No more looking. I don't know about Chrysler caps but most people won't degrade or destroy their own "Labor of love" unnecessarily (even if it does work). AW International had the rotors for $115. Best yet I've seen. ONLY the net has made this possible. I would have given up ages ago before finding these places. David at AW asked how I found him. I said I "Googled" him. He said "You gotta love that Google". If I would have said that to a guy three years ago, he would have bloodied my nose. Our market and lives are changing and it's forums just like this that is doing it. Some will fight it and some will love it. Shop owners think it is destroying their business while others enlarge theirs with it. Our only limitations are usually space to store all out goodies any more.
    I see a few people saying it can't be so. It'll never happen. It's a brave new world out there. Especially for Ferraris and Ferrari owners. $20,000 Ferrari 308's in good shape? Enjoy what you can when you can.
    Alright, not so short story.

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
  9. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    If there were such a thing as a "2003 Ferrari 308" it would certainly cost a LOT more than $15,000.

(Maybe I should offer him fifteen thousand imaginary dollars for his imaginary car. I've always wanted to buy a fake Ferrari with counterfeit money. ;) )

10. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I am not sure if I am following correctly but you can buy a sparkplugsocket at Sears that will fit.

Helmut

11. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Its a trailer with Ferrari 308 on it.

12. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #112 CarreraScott, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just saw this thread...

In November 2007 I bought this 308 on ebay for $20.5k. (Wow didn't realize I've had her going on 2.5 years already!) Still going strong. Had her major service last year, only issue that came up was the steering rack which was replaced. Took her out for the first drive of the season last weekend and everything worked great. Of course the gas station stop immediately got the folks over gawking. Gotta love that it cost me less than my FJ Cruiser (well, after the major service it's closer to equal to the cost of my FJ!).

My post on 11/5/07 after I bought it on ebay: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173502

My post on 11/13/07 after it arrived at my door:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174431

By no means is it a show car. By no means is it pristine or perfect. But it's just what I was looking for... a nice driver that I don't have to fret about, but still looks and drives pretty great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #113 nathandarby67, Mar 18, 2010
    Just stumbled across this thread as well. Ebay can be a great place to pick up cars for a good price if you are 1) patient and 2) willing to take some risk.

Its not a 308, but I bought my 1981 Mondial euro-market car for $14.5K in 2006. Had a half-ass service done (just belts, tensioner bearings, a few odds and ends...didn't address a few slowly leaking gaskets) about 9 months prior to my buying it. Has a great interior, paint is so-so, a few paint bubbles and small door dings, but runs and drives perfectly, every switch, button, and light works, and sounds wonderful.

Also bought a one year-old (at the time) loaded 2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD with a Warn winch bumper and rock sliders for $17000. It was in immaculate condition and still looked new.

What these two auctions had in common was that they were poorly put together and therefore attracted few bidders. They had just a few low resolution pictures and minimal text details. Both sellers responded to requests for more information and pictures when emailed, but a lot of times if it is not right out there on the auction page, folks will just skip over it and look at the next car down.

14. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #114 CarreraScott, Mar 18, 2010
  15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Mirrors the story of my 308GTB purchased on eBay in 2001 almost exactly. In my case, the only issue was some "play" in the differential.

I've put a lot of time and some $ into fixing her up, but she's been a fantastic car. I have always maintained that if you shop carefully eBay is as good a venue as any to buy a Ferrari.

Congratulations! Your 308 looks fantastic! Enjoy her for many years to come. :)