The 206/246 section seems to be slowing down - is the new format the problem? | FerrariChat

The 206/246 section seems to be slowing down - is the new format the problem?

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Nov 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Since the new format was adopted, it has seemed to me that the 206/246 section isn't as active as it used to be, and it also seems like there hasn't been as much traffic in the other sections either. At first I thought it might have been seasonal, but now I am thinking otherwise.

What are your thoughts?

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

I frequent FerraiChat about 30% of what I used to. The font is way too small and seems less welcoming. It was much more appealing before.

Freeman

3. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    'not a fan of the new format. I've tried to like it; I'm still trying.
    Cheers,
    Coop

4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    100% right !

Caphill likes this.
  5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    You can make the forum look pretty much exactly as it did before by choosing the "Old — vBulletin based" option in the style selection box at the bottom of the page.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    It worked very well in the past, so they had to fix it. Exactly what always happens with software and it installations. The excuse is always lack off or shut down of software support, so new investments and upgrades are needed. I guess we are getting so used to this happening that we just accept the fact and slowly get used to the new situation. Just getting familiar with the new search function have taken weeks for me. In a couple years time the situation will be normalized again and a new update will be issued...-:)

Best regards

Peter

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Possibly, everyone has repaired everything in Dinoland? Or are the years sinking in?

Regards, Alberto

9. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Could be that ownership has shifted due to market changes. I'd bet that many enthusiasts have been replaced by collectors, who on average would have fewer questions and less engagement with the community.

Now that values are coming back down, activity may pick up again. Those who want to "get in" with a needs everything car will especially need your help!

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have a few other observations. I think the site is now harder to navigate, the "old version" does not really look the same AND it does not operate the same. For example, why bother to rename PM as "Conversations?" Further, although TonyL notes that he believes the section "slowed down well before," I think that is only partially true. And, more importantly, when I have told other enthusiasts recently that they should check out FCHAT they have told me that they find it looking pretty lame. I asked why, and they have told me that they find it hard to navigate AND they see a huge waste of space on each page.

Also, why are the information headings for each individual who posts overlaid with print? For example, TBigs status is listed as Formula Junior but the print runs over his join date, and the same thing happens in my own heading with my Formula 3 and Rossa Subscribed information.

Further, everything now seems to involve additional steps, such as posting photos.

Finally, I think my basic viewing has fallen off even further than Freeman's viewing - I think down to about 10% of what it was before, and certainly my active participation is WAY WAY off, perhaps down to 1%, and it has nothing to do with a lack of continuing interest in my Dinos and Ferraris in general.

In any event, I think that the new format has pretty much nailed the casket shut.

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I would say without a doubt that Fchat traffic is WAY down everywhere since the implementation of the new software. As a site sponsor we monitor this and have seen a significant tailing off of posts. I personally use the 'old' look and find it tolerable while they sort out some of the issues and recommend anyone who really hates the new look to try it.

If you are not sure how to do this it is simple. Go to the very bottom of the page and on the right or left (depending on some other settings) you will find a little box that says 'new' in it. This is the style chooser and all you need to do is click on it and then select 'old' from the popup window. This way you will get your fchat to look a lot like what it used to.

On a personal note I too have found my viewing and participation to have fallen off despite my business needs to be on here. That said as I have gotten more comfortable with the new system my posts have increased and the new system does have some very nice features including a much better search function. From a technical standpoint the old site was a ticking time bomb so the change was necessary. I just would like to see traffic pick up to where it was as fchat remains far and away the best resource on the internet for our hobby.

pshoejberg and Dave rocks like this.
  12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

My largest complaint is in the graphic design (fonts and format are way too small and make it uncomfortable to use). I too use the “old” format. My other complaint is it isn’t visually intuitive to use. The value of FCHAT is far too high to just not do anything major to the format. This isn’t a “bandage” situation. It truly needs to be reformatted if the owners of this site want to see growth and popularity.

The last thing we should be discussing in the Dino area should be this!

Freeman

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I agree with Freeman, but you can't help but note the fall off in participation, and the problems with the format, and that directly affects the Dino area. I certainly don't pay as much as Nuvolari and other sponsors do, but I do pay the maximum for an individual subscriber, and I am getting a little discouraged about what has happened here. What does it take to get the powers that be to take notice of the issues? Did they go on a long vacation?

For example, the header below has been at the top of the 206/246 section, and I believe most other sections, for weeks or possibly months. It is as if the landlord has given up checking on the condition of his building:

"ATTENTION: http/https Bug Fix! Most of us have been experiencing problems staying logged in as we navigate the site. That is simply the result of links varying between http and https, which each require different logons. To resolve we are going to force https starting sometime Wednesday. However, you may have problems accessing FerrariChat until after you log out, clear cookies/browser cache, and log back on. Keep in mind my email is [email protected] if you do have access problems after Wednesday. Thanks!"

14. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I agree...it is a "cold" experience and poorly designed for an update. For some reason, I don't enjoy visiting like I did before. I'd prefer the old "classic" design over this...though a really well thought out design/color pallet could be a big improvement. This is neither. There are lots of strange design choices that feel 10 years old (while the previous classic design was way older feeling, that interim period in web design was a poor era).

15. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Just bumping up the font size would be a big improvement.

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    It's a shame that traffic in this section has decreased, for whatever reason. However, I think we just have to accept that we are where we are and try to revive it, so let's get posting!

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think one of the big reasons for less posts is now people can just LIKE a post before that was not possible so instead people would reply with a plus 1 or something showing they liked a previous post. I am getting use to the new format but probably use it less primarily because there are less posts throughout...

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I admit I have been lurking but not posting.

I can chalk it up to time, craziness here in Houston, looking more now on devices vs. a computer, etc. In fact, my current posting is the first time I have posted using a regular computer in many, many years.

Having said that, I really dislike the new format. It hasn't encouraged me to post, but I can't say it is the reason I haven't.

I will add, the new format, doesn't make browsing easy. There are way to many "areas" used for sponsorship/dumb sub categories, that just take up space. This has become worse than looking at TMZ.

The new colors and fonts don't help either.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been on F-Chat for well over 15 years and was here when things were really slow. I almost every update we have seen always had me seeing that things were getting better, this is the first I am not embracing. I don't know if it is because we now have a "Corporate" aspect or not. I am also not one to use all of the modern technology that is available today and more comfortable with old junk, like Dino's, so maybe we are showing our age.

Shawn

19. leonetti

leonetti Karting

Oct 22, 2004
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Mike Leonetti
    Great question, aren't you in the best position to answer this after completing a $50k+ restoration of 03656 and not a single post on FerrariChat about that restoration, e.g. the rusted chrome trim standards.

TonyL likes this.
  20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I still can't figure out how to find the list of my posts...

Regards, Alberto

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Alberto
    click on your name (in your post) it will then underline itself. then Click on profile.
    Use the postings tab to see posts you have made.
    You can do this for anybody
    Tony

22. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    In the beginning, I was initially frustrated with the new format. It allows you to use a version of the original format. I’m now good with it and appreciate that it’s easier to post more photos on a post, especially with an iPad or iPhone.

Freeman

23. docdozer

docdozer Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Central Maine,
    Full Name:
    Charley
    Exactly. This is what I have done. It looks as it always has this way. I like the old format better..perhaps because I am getting older :)
    I don't frequent as much as I did only because my life is very busy right now

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  25. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    I use the site a lot for technical information, especially when I need to fix something. i think the new search tool is terrible and pretty much impossible to use versus what we had before. Hopefully the .2 version will improve on this.