the 330GTCFERRARI fix all my problems thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

the 330GTCFERRARI fix all my problems thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 330GTCFERRARI, Oct 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    John: Yes, the coils just keep the follower on the cam lobes. The four cylinder camshafts are considerably "wilder" in both lift and duration than any twelve cylinder cam from that era, so I imagine they were worried about lifter 'bounce". Funny this came up now, as in the last 10 minutes, I sent a 500TRC off to the owner after we did a complete mechanical checkover.

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    How much would it cost to rebuild a Jag V12? Or, they simply are left to rot...

Regards, Alberto

3. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Great outfit that can do any thing. Bought my 365 BB from them. I recomend them...

Geno

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks Dyke, looking at the picture Dave Helms put in his post (#34), I see what you mean about duration. Those lobes are nearly circular.

john

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    This thread is making me re-live some of my most painful moments...

We've had freshly re-built motors drop a valve within 15 laps causing $50K of damage. We've had oiling failures blowing up blocks when rods and pistons go out through them. We've had connecting rod bolt failures. We've experienced virtually everything possible when it comes to destroyed motors. It's not for lack of maintenance, and it's not for lack of using qualified personnel. It's not for abusive driving practices, either. However, if you're going to have moving parts, you're going to have the possibility that something will go wrong and there will be damage.

Frustrating? Exceedingly. Expensive? Outrageously. However, there's something about hearing a Ferrari motor at full song that makes it all worth it when it's back together and doing laps at racing speed.

CW

6. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    No travesty, You are comparing apples to oranges, the surgeon is making more per hour for their services than the mechanic.
    The over all cost of the brain surgery will also be more than the over all cost of the Ferrari clutch job.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mmmm, discount brain surgery :D ;)

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #83 peterp, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    In some ways, working on these old engines seems as difficult as surgery. These 40 to 50 year old engines probably have more hidden issues and variables (such as prior machining or incorrect parts) than the average human. From what I understand (not having done it personally), something as simple as rebuilding the Fispa mechanical fuel pump can require several attempts depending on which rebuild parts are used and if machining has been done to the housing. I rebuilt a few engines in my late teens, but honestly I don't think I could take on one of these engines and do an effective job with all of the variables. I really enjoy doing minor restoration work - there isn't a better stress reliever in the world, but I don't have the ambition or ability to do the detailed mechanical work and I really admire those who are able to do this work well.

9. 330GTCFERRARI

330GTCFERRARI Karting

Jun 21, 2012
    NYC
    So...we are in the process of taking the heads off the 330. The righ head has 2 wet plugs in the from two cylinders. All other plugs are okay.

Here is my question. Can a 20 year old head gasket just blow? Can a crack just appear in a head without one single instance of overheating?

When I picked up my car from Autosport, I checked the coolant when I got home to find it low. I'm starting to wonder if Ey messed with my heads or did something? Something is very off here.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Can you continue on one of your other numerous threads??

A lot of people are trying to sort your issues, but they are now scattered among your various threads.

Sure, there's advancing corrosion between dissimilar metals, and now there's a leak somewhere.

I run Royal Purple "Ice" product, as it stems some of the perils of this galvanic action, but it's not a panacea.
    Did you find any of the head stud bolts that were not tight from torque settings?

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think your messing with our heads!!!!

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think he has a bad head gasket, if the water pump seal is okay....:D :D :D

But the shop didn't do that..unless they cooked his motor, changed the fluids, then gave it back.....

13. 330GTCFERRARI

330GTCFERRARI Karting

Jun 21, 2012
    NYC
    Sorry. I am not well versed in blog etiquette. I normally don't spend my lifelong chat room. I can say I appreciate the help from those who have offers it, bit certain members have been just plain rude. I don't need it. These are Ferrari engine for Christ sake. Some people here act like we are working on rocket motors. I am leaving this website, but for those theaters nice to me thanks again

14. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    cool, now I can take off my hip waders when reading this post.

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex,

A word of advice: While you may be responding to one person, all of can see your posts. Etiquette is important, especially when you are seeking advice.

Sincerely,

Art S.

16. 330GTCFERRARI

330GTCFERRARI Karting

Jun 21, 2012
    NYC
    Art, I agree. Thanks to everyone for all your help. I a, going through a terrible time and I am sorry. I wish you all the best

17. racer355

racer355 Rookie

Nov 17, 2008
    Good Afternoon all. I am not in the habit of posting or answering threads on Ferrari Chat, but this case, I feel the need. It is a wonderful forum, but I live the dream daily.

I am very sorry to hear Mr. Murray's allegations towards my company. I have been in business for over 20 years and have proven myself time and time again with regard to my love of these automobiles as well as my love for the business as a whole and the honor to be able to have had many of the worlds finest autombiles pass through my dealership, both in service and sales. I have been given the trust by many people over the years, trust is everything and I have enjoyed it with many.

First and foremost, I think it is wonderful that Mr. Murray owns his fathers 330 GTC, it is something that is very close to his heart. I too have an automobile that was my dads, it is part of the family forever!

This is not meant to be mud slinging, I hope you respect and remember a few of the following comments and ocassions I will speak of.

Alex, I wish you all the best and only hope the 330 GTC lives in your care for a long, long while.

You came to me, I have held your hand, answered many, many questions, have tried to explain how things work and why this and that has happened on your 330 GTC. Each and every time, you have decided to research all and seem to know the answer far better than me. You had your 330 GTC worked on by Francois Sicard in the past, yet when you came to me you made statements about not liking his work. Francois is well known for his superb work, I have never found anything wrong with previous work performed by Francois, on your Ferrari or any others for that matter. After my setting up the carbs and ignition on your 330 GTC, you made the statement, "this is the best my 330 GTC has ever run." Unlike your conversations in my workshop and distaste for other peoples work, you have decided to take your current thoughts with regard to me and my company to a public forum and I do not like it!

Alex, the simple fact is that your 330 GTC is getting older by the day, it is unrestored and needs love and attention. As much as "we" collectively in the business would like to help, it is just not possible to service your 330 GTC on a budget. It is not easy to work around many items that need servicing because "you" cannot afford to service them properly at this time. I even offered to do several items "properly and thoroughly" and put you on a payment plan so that the car can be serviced properly and correctly, not in a peacemeal manner as you have decided to do repeatedly.

If it is not the right time to "restore" portions of your 330 GTC because of the expense that will be incurred, I strongly recommend your taking the car off the road, starting a savings account and servicing-restoring the 330 GTC at a later date when the time is right. You have waisted money doing things your way, it is no ones fault but your own, please do not make this about me and my company. You were forwarned about many of these items you discuss on Ferrari Chat, these items will not go away because someone else gives you another opinion over e-mail or on a chat room without viewing-inspecting the actual car in question, its merits and its faults. Do a bit of due dilgence and set a game plan for the "restoration" of your 330 GTC carefully. All must be well thought out and performed properly and in a systematic fashion. Your car has electrical gremlins, I advised this could cause a fire, you stated, it has been like this for ages. This does not make it ok. I have advised your car has cooling system issues, you want a complete diagnosis over the telephone and without inspection and at the same time you would like to know how much it will cost to repair. This is not possible over the telephone.

The value of your 330 GTC has risen, so you will certainly be able to get most of your restoration costs out of the GTC.

The problem...

Your car, much like my own is sentimental. This means it is a monetary hole in your wallet, it is "a keeper, family, the money pit." It is one of those cars that you will put enormous amounts of money into to restore properly and all for love and sentimentality.

You have flown off at the handle on both e-mail and telephone conversations only to e-mail and call later to apologize, telling me each time, it is because this 330 GTC means the world to you. You have created you owned anxiety with regard to the 330 GTC. Make a plan, sit back a do any and all work only when your are prepared for it, both monetarily and mentally.

I have said enough, if you have any further questions or concerns that involve me and my company, I welcome your contacting me directly.

Tom P.

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I am not looking to get into the middle of anything here, but I would like to say that I bought the very best GTC I could find in 2009, an excellent car that I took on a 4,000km drive the next week.

Still I have spent about $30k fixing various issues before she became the mechanical model of reliability she is now.

They are expensive cars when they have issues. And a proper restoration is very serious money (think $150k+).

Best of luck with your pride and joy!

Onno

19. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unfortunately, $150K won't even get you close to a true, proper restoration anymore.

Michael