the 458 is the last beautiful ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

the 458 is the last beautiful ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Apr 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I think the side vents on the Pista remind me of the horrible vents on the production Countach, which was much less pretty then the LM400 its prototype.

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think the 550 was the last beautiful Ferrari. Its all very subjective.

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The Modificata models - second generation on the same platform - are hit and miss with me. Only the 456M was a more beautiful car than the original to my eyes. The 512M is probably the worst, as that design just looks ridiculous without popup headlights (Yes, I know it's much better as a car). The 430 is a better performer than the 360, and it looks mas macho, but it's not as clean and beautiful as the 360 for me. I'd say the situation with the 458/488 is very similar. Objectively the 488 is better, but not as beautiful as the original.

I am surprised by how much I like the Portofino - it's a pretty car! - so lets wait and see what the next generation mid V8 looks like. It could be amazing.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like the Barchetta a lot.

5. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As a professional designer for the last ~30 years I find there to be great difference between words like 'beautiful' 'cool' aggressive' etc...

There are very few 'beautiful' cars made after the 90s. Lots of 'cool' cars and lots of 'aggressive' cars though

For example, as i said above, the 550 is the last 'beautiful' Ferrari in my eyes. But the 458 is 'cool' and the LaFerrari is 'aggressive'

They are not the same thing in my, and most other professional designers i know, opinion.

Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely functional and I think very well done. Each to their own but I think they did a great job on this for a modern machine. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas likes this.
  7. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wow...this thread amazes me! Am I am the only one who thinks Ferrari just keeps out doing themselves time and again and over and over!????
    Have they had some duds? Yes, but whichever F-car you think falls into that dud category their is someone who drools all over it. That being said here are my Favs: 288 GTO, Dino, F50, F355, Enzo, 599 GTO and of course all the lightweights (360 CS, 430 Scud, 458 Speciale, 488 Pista) and the irony here for me is that the 360's, 430's, 458's & 488's are all bada$$ F-cars in there own rite! I can hardly wait to see whats next for the 488 replacement?

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    For me, the last beautiful cars, in their categories, are: 456M for V12 2+2, 550/575M for V12 GT (I have no preference between the two), the 360 for mid V8, and the F50 for halo car.

I can understand 612 fans, as I love that car too, and the 458 is awesome, but... not really classically beautiful to me. Same for Enzo and LaF.

9. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Just because one does not feel a car is beautiful does not mean they feel its ugly. The world isnt so black and white.

Most exotics i find to be cool looking but thats not the same as beautiful. Same as a hot girl is not necessarily a beautiful girl.

10. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I prefer the Pista to both he 458 and 488 because it fully embraces the aggressive quality instead of trying to balance it with 'beauty' as the 458 attempts to do, unsuccessfully IMO.

G. Pepper and TheMayor like this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the 550 Barchetta is the last beautiful Ferrari. However, I think the LaFerrari is the best looking Ferrari made in a while. It's a very complex design and two dimensional photos do it not justice. It's not what I would describe as beautiful, but it's striking and captivating.

12. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well said. I love the LaFerrari for its aggressiveness.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There are many kinds of beauty. The internal workings of a Swiss Watch can be beautiful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki likes this.
  14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agreed. I can look at a LaFerrari and see pieces of beauty within it, but as an overall design I dont find it beautiful, just aggressive in a VERY cool way. But Im not trying to dictate what others see. Just what i do.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree with this. For me the reason the cool and aggressive Ferrari's are not beautiful is that they are not unique. While a 488 can be distinguished from a McLaren or Lambo the visual styling cues are all the same. You can even see the same styling features in a Vette. Ferrari's were beautiful when they set a standard in style as well as performance.

bball16 and anunakki like this.
  16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I once tried to explain the difference between girls at that beautiful, cute, and hot to an ex-gf. That was quite a useless endeavor.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  18. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I have always been attracted to Italian design and for beauty the 456m is real close to the top, having said that I have no idea why I find the FF to be beautiful but then as a young man I found Barbra Streisand strangely beautiful..
    D.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  20. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    See i think the 458 looks better then the 488 too. Except from 50 ft the 488 is pretty cool looking. Ironically the wife and i didnt care for the 488 spider we drove and my wife stated that if i bought a 488 she didnt want to ride in it. Also among the other cars mentioned I prefer the tools of the 360 over the 430 but prefer the performance of the 430 over the 360 by a long shot. Like the california, cali t and portofino but have dislikes and likes of all 3 cars. Like the 355 over the 348. All that being said the next guy will think something totally opposite of me and thats ok too. At the end of the day i feel pretty privileged to be able to afford to consider the purchase of a Ferrari.

21. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Well why would the youth like Ferrari, Im 32 and I bought my childhood dream car the 575 but I would never play all of Ferrari's nonsense games to get new cars while they just selectively give them out to collectors who dont want them. I want an 812 and my local dealer has a perfect spec car, but its not for sale. The owner apparently loves it so much he doesn't want to sell it but he also doesn't have time/room for it at home so he leaves it at the dealer. Meanwhile there's people who want it and willing to pay over sticker( I offered $70k over bc they offered me a spec I didn't want for $70k over) and the people who actually want cars can't get them. I get why all my younger friends with exotics now are driving lamborghini's or mclaren's. Those brands aren't as pretentious as Ferrari and you can actually get your hands on one. It sucks bc growing up all I wanted is Ferrari, I love the history of the brand but at the same time there are other brands that make amazing cars today, that wasn't the case 40 years ago. So unless Ferrari starts investing a little in the younger owners I can see 20-30 years down the road where all the guys like me and my friends are driving other brands. Ferrari isn't the only show in town like 1975 anymore, they need to realize this

TheDiffuser likes this.
  22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    So do I. I also miss when the cars were designed in a studio rather than a wind tunnel.

Joe

anunakki and G. Pepper like this.
  23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #73 ross, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    i love performance. i love power. i love engine roars.

but i must say that i cannot remember the last time i consciously tried to reach my cars maximum speed, or my cars ability to reach 60mph rapidly.

i have tracked most of my ferraris in one way or another, but long ago realized that if i really wanted to push the envelope on track, i would be better off with a miata ! or if/when i have another liquidity event, i might get an older 360 challenge car to do track time with in style.

i realize that the competition among sports car manufacturers is tight and bench racing is a real contest. so i will only speak for myself, and say that i dont care whether the car does 0-60 in 2.8 or 3.8 or even 4.8 seconds - i never use that anyway, and now with gearing and tire choices, it is not even indicative of the power to pass in the 50-80mph range.; i will also say that i have not been able to vmax my cars for years - the law and reality have put a stop to that unfortunately, so does it matter whether my car can do 150 or 180 or 220 mph? not in the least.

what has become important to me is the beauty and inspiration that the car can give me.

besides my ferraris and other cars, i own a fisker. the car doesnt work so well, is not quick and is not fast - but it i find it so beautiful that i forgive it all its ills and faults.
    similarly, i see no reason to lust for many new sports cars made today. of course i have a small list of late models that i would enjoy owning - but the criteria for that list is that i am attracted to the form, the function is a secondary consideration.

the ferrari 812 is a case in point for the opposite......i dislike it from every angle, although it is likely the most competent 12 cylinder ferrari road car ever made.

ferrari has lost the plot. all they need to do for bragging rights is win the F1 race next sunday, and participate in sportscar racing with some distant relative of a very competent road car, and then build the most beautiful cars they can because beauty carries the day. but thats just my opinion.

JB833, italiafan and anunakki like this.
  24. MasonPerry36

MasonPerry36 Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mason Perry
    I agree the 458 is a very beatiful car. I'm not much of a fan of the way things are going with their current line up. The decision to go with a 4 seater was ill advised as far as looks go. It doesn't stand out much from what other manufacturers are producing. it doesn't turn heads instantly.

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.