The 599 Manual Transmission Myth | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The 599 Manual Transmission Myth

Discussion in '612/599' started by 575Mike, May 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Local dealer has 3 manual RHD 599's in store for customers, lot's of signed bits of carbon etc. Supposedly the final 599's are all manual! (not sure how many where in this final run).

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    any chance you can report the VINs of these 3 cars ???

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Or some pictures!

4. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Not easily, they are stored for the clients in air chambers. When I dropped my car in for a service all 3 were being moved so got the chance to have a quick look - the door kick plates were signed by Luca on all 3 although I couldn't actually see this feature as they had protective tape covering and preventing heel damage. Lots of carbon bits.

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    THIS

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there are 6 manual 599's for sale in switzerland.

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sorry, make that 3 available in switzerland. the others were mismarked

8. dcassinelli

dcassinelli Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Chittenango NY
    Full Name:
    Dan Cassinelli
    If there were a way to convert my 599's F1 to manual I would! There is nothing like shifting between gears!!!!!

9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The V12 swinging and the clanking of the 6MT must be bliss - congrats on your new ride! I hope to add this exactly spec vehicle to my stable in a year or so!

Cheers

Joe

10. forhamilton

forhamilton Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I've heard the F1 is numb and the manual is quite entertaining. I can't wait to find out for myself.

Gorgeous car and please continue to post ongoing reviews.

11. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Did you lower it? .....and how about that video :)

12. magnus89

magnus89 Rookie

Nov 15, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
  13. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    This car has all service records since new, and has had the finicky 6spd gearbox replaced under warranty - no issues since then....... Because no one drove it,lol

14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    8700 miles on a car with a crappy, sub-standard, poorly-designed drivetrain ... how is that even possible? :rolleyes: :D

Seriously ... I've noticed that several of the manual transmission 599's seem to have pretty high mileage (as Ferraris go) ... somebody is sure enjoying these fantastic machines!! Including, of course, the author of this very thread :)

15. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    Guys, I had the opportunity to drive an 07 599 with stick last week. This car was perfectly laid out for me in terms of colors, options, etc., and though I have been envisioning a 599 F1 for myself, I drive a stick every day, so I thought it would be worth a try. Maybe it would be a lot of fun. However the stick experience was not what I expected. I drive a stick BMW every day, and I have driven F1 599's, and I have driven a stick 575 and a stick 360 in the past. This was a whole different beast. I could definitely use more skill, but I do not remember the 575 and 360 sticks to be this difficult to shift. It took a lot of fun out of it for me, and I think I have decided I have to go with an F1. But given that I remember having a great deal of fun with the 575 and 360 sticks, it does make me wonder if there is something different about the 599 sticks. The "myth"? Wonder what Chris Harris would have thought of this car.

16. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
  17. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Funny! Actually, that was almost two years ago. It's been driven plenty since then. This is the second manual gearbox 599 we've had for sale and everyone we know that has actually owned one has been very happy with the transmission.

18. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    This is basically my experience. I found the stick shift in the 599 to just feel out of sorts in the car. And I am a stick shift lover. But I also appreciate the tech of the F1 and IMHO the F1 in the 599 works great.

19. eagleye49

eagleye49 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    The 599 gated 6-speed, of which only 20 or 30 were even built, seems to have generated a huge amount of controversy. When our local dealer had an especially sweet example in stock, I made appointment to drive it, but 575Mike purchased the gorgeous car before I was able to visit the dealership. I was looking forward to finding out just how good or bad the transmission truly was.

Meanwhile, here on the 599 Forum, F1 Monza posted a rave review after buying his manual '07 on March 15, but by June, his "I love my 599 with 6-speed" had turned into "Stay away from gated 599GTB...walk away!" 575Mike's car is now for sale and he plans to trade up to a GTO, but that was only after 4 months of ownership.

I'm sorely tempted to buy one, because I love the gated V-12s, but haven't driven a 599 yet--- 456s, 550s, 575Ms, and even 612s are the cat's meow, but they all share similar transmission/ clutch architecture. The 599 is a different design with a 2-disc clutch, and extremely steep gearing.

I'm not sure I would take the chance without being able to live with the car for a while; San Francisco is not especially kind to clutches. One of the local dealers tells me they would only offer me $150 to $155K if I wanted to trade in a gated 599, and there are currently at least 6 for sale.

Is there anyone out there, who currently owns and has owned a gated 599, who is still happy and still driving it?

20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and thats suprising ? i'm suprised that high... that's easily wholesale on any 07 gated or not. the black 08 f1 at straighline wholesaled for $155k

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Yes, I still own one ... and am very happy driving it !!!

However, my 599 manual is NOT a daily driver ... i've grown much too lazy. I would seriously test-drive before committing to one, especially in a very hilly area (like SF) ... but there's nothing unique about the 599 manual in that regard. I'd offer the exact same advice for an F430, for example. The 599 clutch requires a bit of "finesse" in pulling out ... but without question it's nowhere near as bad as other F-cars that come to mind (such as my F40!).

Do consider this : a manual-trans 599 offered for sale in this thread has 8700 miles; another recent one for sale has over 7000 miles. Unless these cars have changed hands dozens of times (literally), somebody is sure DRIVING them, and enjoying them !!!

22. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Still have mine. Love the car. The only reason I would sell it is to buy a 599 GTO. i

Feel free to email me if you have questions.

It's not a daily driver, but it is an exceptional car for weekend and spirited drives!

23. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    Does it chirp on second gear and/or third gear? I am always for this action. These days, there are a lot of computer intervention and the ECU/TCU controls so that you can't chirp through the gears. The engine power suddenly dies right at the change of the gear so it does not chirp.

This was apparent with my 06 F430 with 6 speed manual, 2012 Porsche Carrera S with 7 speed manual, etc....

I have a 2010 458 and I love it. But I want a daily driver and thinking about the 599. I will check both manual and F1 tomorrow at San Diego. Will choose and buy ONE.

To me, it MUST chirp. Otherwise, I will just go with the F1. I will know about it tomorrow but wanted to get your opinion asap if you don't mind...

24. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    Did you sell yours to San Diego Ferrari perhaps? I'm going to take a look at that car tomorrow (SAT). What was the MSRP on it? Does it have a clear bra? (Does it chirp second and third gear?)

How much did you sell your car to them?

25. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    For real? If that's the case, then I am more inclined towards the F1.

I had an M6 with 7 speed SMG and I loved it. I sold it and wanted to see if I would want to buy an M5 with 6 speed manual for just beater stick shift car. Test drove one and I said "Arghhhh"!!! It was much slower and so nasty. How could same exact engine behave so differently?

Another example would be the Nissan GTR. I had a 2010 and sold it right away because didn't like the terrible noisiness. Bought a 2013 again but sold it today because I wanted to get the 599. GTR's were hard-core track tested by Nissan with 6 speed Dual Clutch. Nissan tried to use 370Z's 6 speed manual and they said "Arghhh" and ditched the idea of the 6 speed manual option.

Dunno exactly how Ferrari did with the manual against the F1 but if what you said is true, then it could be very similar to the M5/M6 and GTR idea...?