The 599 Manual Transmission Myth | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The 599 Manual Transmission Myth

Discussion in '612/599' started by 575Mike, May 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brad599

brad599 Karting

Nov 22, 2012
    seattle
    Full Name:
    brad
    There were 33 Manuals imported to the US. I have one. Fantastic car and quite easy to drive.

2. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    I have one also. Had some initial problems with the clutch position sensor, had it serviced by FNE, and since then it has been great. Love the sound and fury!!! Shifts like butter once it's warm. So add me to the myth busters list.

3. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Have F1 599. Waiting for the opportunity to change to the 3 pedal car. Will trade in an instant although I really like the 599 after a 550.

4. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    welcome to the club !!!

5. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Does the 599 shares the same f1 transmission wit the 430?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Completely different transaxle set up for front engine cars. Shares some internal parts with the 575M, Enzo and 612. F1 system also shares parts with the 575M and 612.
    In general, the transaxles for the V12 cars are set up for heavier torque loads than those for the V8s.

7. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Ok, thanks.
    But basically i would like to know if there is a twin clutch version for the 599

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- All the 599s and the OTO 612s (and Sessantas) have the same dual plate clutch. Note this is not a DCT, which has two wet clutch packs.

9. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    A good way to think about it is that a manual is analagous to having a cabrio/convertible, etc. These options don't improve driving dynamics, but simply make the driving 'experience' more enjoyable for a subset of people that enjoy that sort of thing.

Especially in this instance, the 599's manual doesn't substantially degrade vehicle performance. So the analysis is really a subjective one.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For the 599, Ferrari quotes exactly the same acceleration numbers for F1 and manual. That is different from the 575M and 612, where the F1 is quoted as quicker.

Whoever drove the manual 599 must have been a real pro, since he could never match the 100 ms shift speed, he would have had to do power shifts. Scary with the drag racer gearing in a 599.

Or they never really tested one and just used the same numbers.

11. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    That's more possible.
    Ferrari i think, claims for example same acceleration times for a 1999 F1 Modena with a 2003 manual one. But we all know that earlier models were a bit faster, + the slight F1 advantage

12. bondmarc

bondmarc Rookie

Jun 7, 2010
    France
    I didnt know the earlier 360 where actually faster, I always thought it was the opposite.
    I was under the impression that the F1 system got modified by Ferrari on the cars produced from 2003 onwards in order to be faster.
    A friend's 360 received the upgrade (as being before 2003 model) and it all works much faster.
    Any opinion on that

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hi, Michael, I hope all is well; your PM box is full.

14. BluE46

BluE46 Rookie

Nov 9, 2006
    Reviving an old thread.

I just test drove a 599 with F1, it was a bit disappointing after driving my friend's double clutch 458. I love the looks of the car and the engine, but I think the paddles ruin it a bit.

I would love to own a 3 pedal 599, is anyone in North America selling?

15. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I tracked my 599 HGTE last week and the F1 tranny was nothing short of mind blowing... And it can be boulevard cruiser as well... I came from a 3 pedal 360 and so far no seller's remorse... :)

16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Anything can be bought for a price. The question is are you willing to spend about 500k more than you have to until the bubble bursts.

17. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    This is the only USA 599 manual advertised today (no affiliation):

Ferrari 599 Fiorano Coupe 2 Door | eBay

18. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    What do you think, long-term a 6 speed 599 will (or should) be worth compared to an F1?

19. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Somehow, I KNEW you would love this car.

20. TnJed

TnJed Karting

Apr 20, 2015
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Eric Griffin
    Did they make a 2010 Manual 599?

21. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I don't know of any 2010 manuals, but the last USA manual I've read about was built in June 2011.

22. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Absolutely worth more but it's only a matter of time until someone decides to start converting the f1 cars to manual and people realize they can buy a 599 for 140k and spend 20k retrofitting the manual and save a small fortune.

23. TnJed

TnJed Karting

Apr 20, 2015
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Eric Griffin
    Thanks! Pretty sure my client has a 2010.

24. twestby

twestby Rookie

Jan 20, 2007
    Pa, Fl
    Full Name:
    todd
    There really is nothing like driving a 3 pedal Ferrari. All the graveling is just noise. race mode seems to be optimal... fine, no problem. Did I read a post that the engagement of the transmission could/is a distraction and viewed as a safety issue. Holly cow, whoever posted that; may the car gods have mercy. Just sell the car and get the sex reassignment surgery.

G55amg likes this.
  25. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Restating what @brogenville so eloquently wrote about the work he, Wil De Groot, and of course (most importantly with regard to this comment) Trevor did on our conversion:

Re: 599 drivability...

A lot of people reported a less-than-stellar driving experience on the factory gated cars as we are all aware.

In doing the ecu work, the team found that Ferrari implemented the engine control software incorrectly on the factory manual cars. Motronic 7 has a function that controls the rate of decay of engine revolutions during gear changes. This was technically active on 599 factory manual cars, but turns out the execution of the command within the firmware had been broken by Ferrari. The team has reconciled this, and the result sovles for the issues some reported when this discussion occurred in the past.

I am very much looking forward to final road testing, now that were on the precipice of salt-less asphalt, and delivery in time for warm weather!