The 996 Turbo... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The 996 Turbo...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Tad Cody, Oct 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The Yellow 996 with GT3 mk1 factory aero kit and other GT3 upgrades sold for exactly my asking price, not a cent less. It was a mistake as I listed the car back and didn't pay attention, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. If my car was a real GT3 with the miles and condition of my car then the selling price could easily reach at least $60K. By the way I was able to lap faster than a friend at Sebring Raceway and he was driving a real 996 GT3mk2.

I just drove a 997GT3 and it truly is a great car.

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just curious. I'm not in the market, but why have 996 prices tanked so much? I understand the nostalgia for air cooled and that 997's are an improvement as they should be but why are 996's priced in Boxster company? Anyone looking at them has to wonder what the problem is.

Dave

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Porsche redesigned the interior on the 997 (my brother has a 2007 coupe). While it still has more plastic than I would like, the ugliest bits on the 996 were replaced.

I agree, the average onlooker probably just knows "it's a Porsh", but when you see them side by side -- especially with a 993 nearby -- the 996 (TT or otherwise) looks very downmarket, almost Corvette-like.

As far as a daily driver to use up, sure, a 996TT would be an interesting car, and one with a great dealer and spares network.

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Too many were built and then the 997 came out with better interior and retro look to 993 models. It takes five cows to build the leather inside a 911 Carrera, so it's got enough leather and Porsche will customize the car to have leather, carbon or whatever you can think of, but it gets expensive really quick.

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Almost Corvette like??? Are you a Porsche hater?

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Quite the opposite!

But I remember driving a 996 cab back in 2003 or so and feeling almost betrayed. I bought a 993 cab instead, for the same money.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  8. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    boxsters are even cheaper, early boxsters are half $22k 996's. And, as others have stated, simple supply and demand. Don't think the 997 won't suffer similar fate, they can't make enough of these too, however they get the consensus vote in the look department, which should help hold the values a little over the 996.
    The 996 is going to suffer 944itus. These cars will eventually be under $10k, and will be a very expensive $10k car to maintain.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The NA's yes.
    TT's probably as well but not to 10k. They are actually holding out OK.
    GT3's and 2's hopefully will retain the respect they deserve and IMO they will become cult cars.

10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I think the bottom for early 996 turbos will be at high $20s for high mileage cars and stay there.

Early 996 models of 1999 and 2000 are the lowest, there's more demand for 2001 year. Then the 2002 cars and up are more sought after because of the redesign headlights. The early cars are great bargains and I wouldn't buy anything at that price range. A 308 Ferrari is the only option, but more of a luxury to own.