The all-new 296GTB | Page 9 | FerrariChat

The all-new 296GTB

Discussion in '296' started by gabf1, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am sticking with my belief that in 15 years California will ban gasoline sales unless you get a special permit.

What you will see is gas stations adding electric charging. So you will go to a Shell station and do a quickie charge of an hour. Inside they will have a coffee bar, free internet, etc. They will make money reselling electricity and sales from stuff you buy while waiting.

Eventually all the pumps will go away and you'll have electric charging stations all across America on almost any street corner.

2. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    what happens in 30 yrs and there are no more or very few gas stations.....now that will be a problem.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You had me laughing, I too face that arbritrtary rule. I've made a few workarounds. A 4 post lift being one, and keeping the max number in fun cars, which requires leasing the civillian cars which count as 1/2 a car, or in any event she needs a civillian car so the number can vary somewhat. Each one has its purpose and moment depeding on journey weather and destination.

Speaking of moderns, whats revelatory to me is how many utilitrian fun drive bases the Gulia covers, and does so well, its corrospondoingly getting the most weekly use, each journey even if its to the supermarket is fun.

Would I trade a 488 spider on a 296? To me the 4888 coupe missed the mark, but the spder came all together. The cars drive great and as you say already faster than the road. A look and drive in the 296 may be convincing, but I get the ipression that the 296 like a vette fits more into the disposable not keeper category.

The 997 Gt3, thats the best drivers car proche has yet made yet made, and Ive driven the vaunted RS from 73, plus the v10 carerra Gt which certainly had the power and spec, but lacked the steering of that Gt3.

Were almost at the end of the Ice era, Imo many expesive and more affordable cars will become collectable, not least a dodge charger with stick and the hipo v8. Were simply not going to be seeing ice powered beasts much longer and some are simply defintions of their genre. Hurricane 2wd evo is another.

willcrook and gabf1 like this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

i agree, the question mark is the timing and electricty generation so 15 years may not be fully acheivable. Theres also going to be some different profile, if you live in suburbia as much of America does, you can charge at home, and with soon to be 400 mile ranges the necessity of stoppign for a charge will be greatly reduced. I can see parking meters and parking a garges doing chargiug too, it may be far more decenbtrlized then. Hard to say what emerges, but it will be interesting.

Mickyd329 likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I think there will still be gas stations 30 years from now. One just may have to look a little harder. In 2050 50% of the fleet may still be gas powered albeit timing out.

Porche is putting a of of $ into developing synthetic gasoline which pulls co2 from the athmosphere in its making so is net carbon neutral when its buned. Theyre hedging on some segment of sportscars being ice powered, just like they still make a stick.
    Youll probably be able to buy barrels of gas, just like you can buy barrels of race gas now delivered to your home, its going to be 3x what we pay for regular now, but youre not going to burn it in moms minivan so like boating its an entertainment cost.

There may also be hydorgen conversions for Ice cars if Hydrogen becomes a fuel source which is likely for aircraft and maybe trucks. Hydrogen burns great.
    We still have some steam trains, its just a function of comitment.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The only current high end cars that are lightweight, manual, NA are the Porsche GT. Others have not existed for the last 15 years.

Shadowfax, Juvendude and gabf1 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Your wife is mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabf1 likes this.
  8. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies

When I first read guys were putting lifts in theirs garages, I got out of bed close to midnight and went down to the garage and got my tape measure out and started figuring things out. My garage is just too low unfortunately.

My Huracan EVO rear wheel drive is currently for sale here on Fchat. I love that car but have an STO on the way.

9. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Those GT cars sure have had a run up in value lately…people are really going crazy over the touring which is something I have yet to comprehend. However, if I owned a touring, I could easily trade it for a 296. On the other hand, I do love my 997 gt3rs. The car is currently getting paint correction and ppf placed with ceramic coating. I can’t wait to see the finished result.

10. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I have bemoaned this point to no avail lol. It’s probably for the best. Otherwise I’d be some typical la guy with 10 fancy cars parked according to some impossible algorithm living in a 2 bedroom apartment lol.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    30 years from now Gas stations will be as quaint as Blockbuster stores today.

Gas stations will turn into energy delivery systems of probably hydrogen (for use in fuel cells) and electricity. Charging will be as easy as getting gas today. Charging will also become a form of entertainment or eating while in the process. Classic cars will need special permission to buy gasoline at State run stores. Most likely it will be limited and priced extremely high to not compete against other energy.

However, most people will not own a car in the future. They will order one up and have it delivered. Then use it and have it return itself by itself. There will be no need for parking lots in big cities. These will be turned into housing. Garages will be turned into additional living space. I predict this will be a huge growth opportunity-- packages for converting existing garages into extra bedrooms, an office, bathroom/ spa and workrooms. You pick what you want and someone like Bathfitters comes over and does the rest in 3 days.

When you call up a car for use, you be charged by the kilometer or minute like a taxi cab. You can pick any style or luxury you want. Most retail and online stores and markets will have self delivery by robot vehicles. Need 10 sheets of drywall? No problem. A Home Depot truck will send it over.

No driver's license, no insurance payment, no registration, no energy payment, and no car payment.

This is the future for better or worse. The 296 and the SF90 are Ferrari's step into that future

Marcel Massini and gabf1 like this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Now that sounds like my ideal roommate!

gabf1 likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Is this also part of your future?;)

Mickyd329 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good grief. Who cares. Live for the moment. Future predictions are mostly worthless.

MANDALAY, Mickyd329, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The reason for the statement is you have to understand where the world is going to understand why its changing today.

Ferrari is changing. We may not like it but its the future. Evolve or perish.

SECRET and Slicknick like this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    mar our ct house the ceiling is only 9,8 ft and one can easily fit the bbi and a lotus on a 4 post, “real” cars won’t fit.
    Some live outside and others in an underground garage. It’s a bit of a pain.

the place we got in Florida has 3 car garage and 14 ft ceilings so the potential is there. However I don’t sell cars or change women so it’s going to be a while .

Natkingcolebasket69 and gabf1 like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s deep for a monday;)
    We all die anyways;)

18. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    Under the 'Great Reset' by the World Economic Forum, combined with the U.N.'s 'Agenda 30' and their think tank groups that influence Governments, no one is going to be driving by 2030 apart form those who hold all the power. In their own words: "You'll own nothing and be happy about it". -- That's if we allow it. I doubt whether enough people will be able to pull their minds back from control by the mainstream media.

Mickyd329 and Coincid like this.
  19. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I disagree

20. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    I repspect your right to disagree. Unfortunaetly, it's all there in their own literature. I'd love to be wrong but it's becoming increasingly obvious that we are being steered in a certain direction that favours those at the top while creating a modern day form of feudalism.

Coincid and Napoli like this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Okay, enough of the ridiculous doomsday BS.
    Back to the 296...

Caeruleus11, SVR, gabf1 and 2 others like this.
  22. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

I agree. Eventually, yes. I just don't know if 15 years is enough time for the infrastructure to catch up. The other issue is battery production capacity.

Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree, I remember as a kid I though I would miss all the fun of these great cars. I figured we would be flying around like the Jetsons. Here we are many years later with some great rides to enjoy. Yes things will change but not as extreme as some believe. by the time that happens most if not all of us will be gone.

LVP488, Mickyd329 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Theres just as much chance we blow each other up, get taken out by some super virus or asteroid as much as we live in a super techy type future with perfect self driving EVs

Gh21631 likes this.
  25. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    never will happen, ever

at $50K a pop (or more, all those cables, hugely expensive) level 3 superchargers are not money makers, gas stations will not survive without subsidization, never mind where will all that electricity come from (do you know how much power needs to be available to keep 10 superchargers at full pace, incredible amounts, and that would be for one station), but I am getting ahead of myself, it will be a century or more before 600million electric-only cars are made just once (approx 270m cars in-use in the USA, a lot of them in California, 600m is total USA+Europe in-use)

there will be no state-wide banning of gasoline ever, guaranteed