The Beatles: Rock n Roll or Pop? | FerrariChat

The Beatles: Rock n Roll or Pop?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by El Wayne, Dec 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

The Beatles: Rock or Pop?

1. Pure rock n roll gods

2. Prolific and influential pop band

3. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    From a conversation that began in another thread:

Yes, they were influential, but...

Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode (1958) = Rock and Roll.
    Jerry Lee Lewis' (you name it) = Rock and Roll.
    The Beatles' I Want to Hold Your Hand (1963) = pop fluff.

In July 1965, the Rolling Stones released (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. That very same month saw the release of the Beatles' Help!. While one of these two is great Rock and Roll, the other is purely pop fluff IMO.

The Beatles didn't start putting out real rock and roll until the album Hey Jude was released in February of 1970 with songs like Hey Jude, Revolution, and Don't Let Me Down. That same album, however, also contained fluff like Can't Buy Me Love, Paperback Writer, and Lady Madonna. By this time, rock music had already seen the likes of Cream and Jimi Hendrix and there was no turning back.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back in the 60s, there really was no difference between "Top 40" pop and Rock 'N Roll. We didn't have all the different market segments that exist today.

All we had were transistor radios tuned to AM stations. (I don't have a clue what was on FM. I can't even remember if FM even existed in the 60s.) Depending on your city, you might of had one or two or three Rock 'N Roll stations, a "Soul/R&B" station, a few Frank Sinatra old foggy stations, a whole lot of religious stations, and that was it. Then at night, the super stations like WLS out of Chicago or the X in Mexico would cut in. (I heard it. I heard it. I heard it on the X.)

Records were all 45s with an A and B side.

Starting in the late 60s, an underground movement started with people playing more and more LPs at private parties (while, uh, gaining new experiences along the way). This led to FM stations springing up and the rest was history.

But, the Beatles were the monster. From the Ed Sullivan show in 1964 to Sergeant Pepper in 67 or 68(?) to the White Album, the Beatles were the cutting edge. There would have never been the Rolling Stones without the Beatles.

Dale

3. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, I realize that they weren't as hard rock as the Stones, Cream, etc. but they were rock and roll nonetheless. And yes, they were capable of creating perfectly crafted pop songs as well. In spite of Wayne's assertion about Paperback Writer, I would argue that this is one of the Beatles stronger rock songs - gotta love that heavy bass line. Lady Madonna too fits the classic rock style. I don't think it's one of their greatest songs though, but I would never call it a pop song.

Of course, their songs penned by Paul (Here, There, and Everywhere, for example) are much more popish - and I will concede that this may be fluff (beautifully written fluff though) than songs penned by John (Day Tripper, among others), but I think their influence as rockers did more to bring acceptance of this musical genre to the masses (read: white, middle class America) than the Stones ever would.

Without the Beatles coming first and creating this acceptance with their clean cut looks and public manners (Brian Epstein's marketing genious at work), the Stones and Cream, and all those other hard rock groups would never have been as successful as they were.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wayne... Granted some of The Beatles' songs are surely seen as pop IN THIS DAY AND AGE... However, back then, it's a totally different story... Still, however you want to look at it, they had more than enough rock n roll songs to account for Rock N Roll Gods status...

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Hmm, gotta disagree. The door had already been blown wide open in the 1950s.

As far as inlfluence is concerned, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and others had already paved the path for blues-based rock and roll in the 1950s. The Stones followed this path, as did many 60s rock artists to come, such as Clapton, Hendrix, etc. I think the Beatles had far less influence on blues-based rock and roll than their 1950s predecessors (although they did have quite a bit of influence on bands like Herman's Hermits and the Monkees).

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Can't say.

I'm an Elvis man!

DL

7. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wayne, we may be on the same page here. I certainly agree with you about those artists you mentioned about and 'paving the way' for blues-based rock. My point however, is that because of the Beatles and the way their "product" was presented (the lads themselves as well as their music), those other artists would never have been as successful as they were (and still are in some cases (see Eric Claption, who is still creating blues-based music as good or better as he's ever done in the past).

8. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    The Beatles had Rock n Roll roots...John and Paul met when one offered to show the other chords to "Twenty Flight Rock" by Eddie Cochran...if you listen to the Hamburg songs and the early BBC tapes its all rock...it was not until they fell under the influence of Brian Epstein that they became the packaged Pop act that we remember.

9. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I agree with NNO. Why change a band's genre after the fact?

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Ditto. Besides, Rock 'n Roll has become a pretty term over the years.

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Wayne, you snot nosed little kid, listen to your elders who was there, dammit!

12. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I have read interviews with Steve Tyler (Aerosmith) and Ozzy in which they say that the reason they got into music is because they wanted to be like the Beatles.
    I think the Beatles were, and still are, hugely influential. After the Beatles people realised that you get become hugely wealthy as a musician and they probably inspired more kids to pick up a guitar than any other band.
    However I suppose if they were releasing their songs today they would be described as Indie-rock, or just pop.

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Rock and Roll.

Period.

From 62-66, the singles they released, among others:

Love Me Do
    Please Please Me
    From Me to You
    She Loves You
    I Want to Hold Your Hand
    All My Loving
    Can't Buy Me Love
    Hard Day's Night
    And I Love Her
    Eight Days a Week
    I Feel Fine
    Ticket to Ride
    Yesterday
    Help!
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    We Can Work It Out
    Day Tripper
    Drive My Car
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    Nowhere Man
    Michelle
    In My Life
    Girl
    Paperback Writer
    Eleanor Rigby
    Yellow Submarine

Now that was rock and roll for the era.

14. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    And of course both the Stones and Lennon, McCartney admit that they started by copying Lonnie Donegan....the man who started playing American blues and black working songs to the clubs of the North...mostly Leadbelly and that genre....and called it Skiffle

15. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    I think Rock and Roll. While some of the earlier music seems "fluffy" now, at the time it was radical and driving parents crazy.

Lotaz likes this.
  16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

Exactly............................My 80 year old Mom considers the Beatles a Rock and Roll band, enuff said..................

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Despite living only 30 miles or so from "The Cavern" I never really rated them. A bit before I started listening to music. I don't dislike them but can honestly say I haven't bought a single record of theirs ever.
    Influential pop music of the day.

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m going with Rock n Roll bro .

19. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    From about 1967, the term was increasingly used in opposition to the term rock music, a division that gave generic significance to both terms. Whereas rock aspired to authenticity and an expansion of the possibilities of popular music, pop was more commercial, ephemeral and accessible.
    Pop music - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

20. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I think McCartney is more pop and Lennon was more rock. This is what caused the split in the band.

21. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    By modern standards, they'd be so far into the hard rock genre, pop stations wouldn't even play their music.

22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1 Like all the truly greats, they took what came before and synthesized it into some truly new variant of R&R, which sounded like nothing that came before it. When you first heard it, you said "WTF is this? I gotta hear more!" Beatles, Elvis, Chuck Berry - that's the rock pantheon in my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, don't forget George and Ringo, they weren't half bad either!

T

Cigarzman likes this.
  23. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    George was rock. The Beatles as a whole were pop/art rock. BTW, while pop music is a negative term, IMHO, art rock is not a pejorative term. Without the Beatles playing with recoding techniques, we wouldn’t have the advances we see today. Take a four track board and then record through it with a four track. Simulated 16 track. And this was all done on tape! They didn’t have Pro Tools.

tomc likes this.
  24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think you accidentally made Wayne’s case.

:)

There’s a great book out called “Good Booty” about the history of American music, and why it’s so unique to America. I recommend it to everyone.

Matt