The best 4-seater or 2+2 super car ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The best 4-seater or 2+2 super car ?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Jordan68, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think u should drive an amg more often.
    A highway is a highway and inspite all u may think the rarri is not more fun on a highway than a Mercedes.
    Open ur eyes and just check the seat quality, infotainment of a mercedes.
    This thread isnt about track speed look at me cars.
    Like i said i own ferraris and love them to death but for commuting? Long distance journeys? Maintenance cost ? Never would i take one over a merc or bentley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Hahha!!

uhn2000 likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you make a great point about the convenience and other features/ factors. And the OP did ask aside from the Ferrari options, what else is there?

My reply is nothing else is like a Ferrari- and I am thankful for that. I am not opposed to Ferrari adding in things like Nav and Bluetooth, but I do worry if they make a SUV and do it in a conventional manner that they might not be as special and different as they are now. Anyway, if you want all those other features, there are many cars that have them and they have their appeal. But for me, there is just nothing else like driving a Ferrari, and that goes double for a V12.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I have owned and driven AMG s for for many years, and have driven a C65 as recent as about a year ago. I would not have bought a Lusso for double the C65 cost if I didn’t think it was a better GT coupe. I didn’t need another Ferrari for bragging rights. Have you driven the Lusso for any period of time? The upgraded sound system in the Lusso is great and I love my CouioToscana interior which puts the Mercedes to shame. It’s like comparing your Mercedes to a Cadillac, it’s just a different class of car.

Nicky_Santoro likes this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

I drove the FF. Great car but again even the lusso doesn’t have the refinement of options a cl65/s65 coupe has.Leather and sound system great but from an optional standpoint? I am still waiting for the lusso or ff to have autopilot, magic sky, road scanning camera etc.Not sure it has massaging seats? Sawrovski headlamps? Active bolster?
    Comparing the merc to a cadillac is a bit much... when did ferrari start being known for being more reliable than the germans? When have we ever seen luxury ferrari in the 100k miles range?
    Don’t get me wrong of course the lusso is a better car, has soul etc but imo it’s just not all there.
    Of course i respect your opinion and purchase and i would be delighted to own a lusso myself!

7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I’d be surprised if you will ever see options like that on a future Lusso. The point is is to offer the driver the attributes of a Ferrari. ie driver involvement, performance, sound, handling etc in a luxurious all season 4 seater and in my opinion they’ve got it spot on. Personally I find most of the options you mention are just gimmicks, the only slight gimmick on the Lusso is the passenger display but at least it looks cool and involves the passengers in the experience.

Nicky_Santoro, MDEL, x599 and 3 others like this.
  8. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Well said but apart from that the critic is mainly concerned with the price which to some is well worth paying and to others no so. I believe there is an old adage that covers that sentiment.

deltona and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Of course it is!!! Unless your idea of highway driving is sitting at 80 mph and playing with the infotainment system. The sound, the acceleration, the precision of the controls are present in every mile you drive even on a motorway.

Also you don't seem to understand the the FF/Lusso is not supposed to be a luxo barge, like the German limos, but a supercar that sits four people and offers them the Ferrari experience. Autonomous driving you say? That's a joke; Ferraris are meant to be driven!!! By the way the reliability of German cars is not so good...

Nicky_Santoro, otakki and deltona like this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Still miles better than ferraris...
    Arguing about the build quality of german vs ferrari would really not suit in ferrari’S favour.

Again show me a FF that is for sale with 70-100k miles , bet not many will ever do that.

U have lost the plot of this thread! Autonomous driving totally relevant; the op asked which is the better car & alternatives. The ferrari wins hands down certain categories and loses others.

One thing is for sure the lusso or ff are just not the prettiest ferrari ever and in this category i like the bentley better.

11. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Welcome back Brian

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahahaha!!!

Because the OP was asking about alternatives to the Lusso, not comparisons.

The S coupe is not an alternative because nobody can sit in the back seats. In fact, probably no other 2 door will offer the same back seat comfort of the Lusso which is brilliant.

We loved our S 550. It was a great interstate traveling car. All day comfort with a relatively reasonable price point. Not a sporty car in any trim, however and it made me feel like the old guy that I am...

Perhaps the 4 door Aston Martin would be a similar alternative or the 4 door Bentley?

Personally, I think the Lusso is in its own category and there are no comparable alternatives. So one just has to choose what elements are most important and live with the compromises...

That’s my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I know many horror stories regarging German cars. Also the level of sophistication of the oily bits is below that of Ferrari. Have you seen a disassembled AMG V12? It uses a single intake butterfly. That would reduce the people in Maranello to tears of laughter! Autonomous driving is for people who don't like cars and driving. Not Ferrari's target market then!!!

15. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s true its not the same market. Mercedes are comfortable powerhouse and Ferraris are like track athletes.
    I would not dismiss german engineering though given how impressive they have been in the f1 world for the past years.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Are you referring to the silver cars whose engines are made in Brixworth and chassis in Brackley? :D
    Well, if one is after reliability he/she should prefer a Japanese car.

F2003-GA likes this.
  17. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Giving a ride in my Lusso this week to a car fan acquaintance: loved everything about it.
    Then asked if it cost 180k new.
    To me, the Lusso is genuinely the best daily driver. But not worth 400k with tax.
    At 250k, it would be very solid value. The Ferrari Badge gets paid 150k. The ordering experience and wait sucks.
    They would prob. would sell like hot cakes (like Bentleys) if they were priced more reasonably.

18. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    #68 BaronM69, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    The reason why people don't drive their FF or Lusso till 100k miles has nothing to do with reliability, it has to do with not being able to flash a ferrari in every situation of their lives, which would help the cars go up in miles.
    The second reason why people don't drive their FF or Lusso till 100k miles is that first owners will get rid of the cars after a couple years to get something newer or different after few miles, and that the second hand buyers cannot afford the operation costs to see one to 100kmi (depreciations, gas, ...), and generally are further away to have a lifestyle allowing the use of a Ferrari as primary car than first owners.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen!

jumpinjohn likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed! Some great points there!

21. Natkingcolebasket69

I love that passenger display lol i find this super cool and reminds me of the concorde airplane.

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari make on average about 90k Euros per car. This means that a 400k Lusso costs about 300k to be built. Now if you want it under cost you are looking for fools. The N/A V12 is worth that price anyway!!!

Nicky_Santoro and uhn2000 like this.
  23. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    #73 BaronM69, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    I don't care how much they make per car.
    You can get a V12 Bentley with better quality finish, similar performance, better technology for less.

The Lusso is overpriced by 150kUSD. In the US. I bought one new, after owning a second hand FF, and am happy with my purchase.
    Still, being a fool is not knowing you overpay for something, even when you want it and did it.

Proof for it is price discrepancy with Euro markets.
    Excluding taxes, the difference in EURO to USD for the Lusso options x1.7. Dollar and change is x1.25, import taxes and shipping at max 1.1. This leaves at least 20% of extra meat they have the US clients pay for the cars.
    20% on my Lusso brings it dow to 300k MSRP, instead of 371k.
    50k for the Ferrari badge, I don't feel is overpaid. 150k is.

It is also about what you do with the car. You buy an FF/Lusso new at 370k, and 2 years after with 5kmi you resell at 190k.
    Unless you want to play the dealer game to get limited editions, you are unlikely to buy another one.
    If the cars were valued more reasonably, clients like me would very much trade in their Lusso for another one every year, as we put miles on it, just like you would on your BMW, Merc, Porsche, but without loosing so much (in %) that you can't help asking yourself if all this really makes sense.

Some with ask themselves the question and still do it, some other never touch one for those reasons., while those are cars which really deserve more fame.

At least in the US, my impression is that the FF/Lusso are priced Not to sell, and Not to be used as a daily.

F2003-GA and FFantastic like this.
  24. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach

25. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    The fewer Lusso V12's they sell, the more exclusive they are. That's fine with me, in Miami Beach Bentleys and Mercedes are at every third traffic light. Nice not to see your car's double every time you drive it.

Nicky_Santoro, BaronM69 and uhn2000 like this.