The best car for under $200k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The best car for under $200k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rjklein, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Since you mentioned it. The Vanquish! Best looking new car, edging out 360. Saw it on the hour long aston show on speed channel last week. The sound even on TV was incredible. More than 2oo k though. bently gt gets third.
    T

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    How about 10 Lotus Europa Specials? At least 4 or 5 would be running at any given time.

3. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Bruce

Here in Australia there is one for sale at the moment, asking AU$450 000.00, about US$300 000.00 to $350 000.00, I think he is just hopeful. Unfortunately we are right hand drive here (of which there were probably only about 120 or so made) otherwise I’d import a US one. I love the car, but 512M’s in RHD are very rare and always around 25% more then a LHD.

Steve

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    sports - toss up 360 cs or gt2 which is style or substance. luxury - bentley continental gt.

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    PROBABLY CHEAPER TO BUY A US VERSION AND BRING IT BACK TO THE OUTBACKS, AND HAVE PLENTY OF POCKET CHANGE LEFT FOR MAINTENANCE.......

BTW, BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY MATE, I HAVE A BIG CUSTOMER OVER YONDER, AND ONLY IF I CAN DRUG MY WIFE UP FOR 24 HRS TO BRING HER TO THE AUSSIE COUNTRY

BRUCE

6. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Actually Bruce, there were probably only about 50 RHD’s made, going on Ferrari figures I have read stating a ratio of 10:1 LHD:RHD, not sure if this is the case, though, but if so this makes a RHD 512M even rarer, bad luck for me, it’s cheaper for me to buy a second hand 575.

I'd go with the 360, every man and his dog seems to have a Porsche now, maybe a better car in some ways, but nothing special anymore!

Steve

7. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Only problem is, to convert a LHD Ferrari to RHD would not only be expensive but I think it would loose toooo much value and if not done properly it may have handling, steering problems at high speeds… but I wish!

I think you should contact your Chemist, (I think you call them Drug Store) and get something for your wife and come and visit!

Steve

8. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Actually Bruce, there were probably only about 50 RHD’s made, going on Ferrari figures I have read stating a ratio of 10:1 LHD:RHD, not sure if this is the case, though, but if so this makes a RHD 512M even rarer, bad luck for me, it’s cheaper for me to buy a second hand 575.

I'd go with the 360, every man and his dog seems to have a Porsche now, maybe a better car in some ways, but nothing special anymore!

Steve

9. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    That depends on how you define "best car". If I can only own one car, I think I will have to stay somewhat sensible and go with an Audi RS6 or a RS4. If we are talking about exotics here, I will have to go with the Aston Martin, Ford GT and Porsche GT (Is it less than $200,000 ? Not sure) since all of the 12 cylinder Ferraris will be out of range. If we are discussing in a pure horse-less carriage sense, I think I will pick anything made by Toyota as they are so reliable that nothing short of a thermo-nuclear device will be able to knock them out (Driver error not included that is.)

10. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Porsche GT is closer to $400K than $200K.

My choices would be 360 coupe new, 360 spyder (2 years old), 550/575 used, 360CS - in that order. But very little difference between them in terms of what would bring on the smile :)

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    If I remember correctly, the Porsche GT is around 400k.

Gary

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Everyone here has forgotten...or ignored the Merc SL55 AMG. 500hp/500lb ft, paddle shift, ABC, EPS...german engineering, blah, blah, blah.

I love my Ferraris but I gotta admit this thing is great everyday, reliable, bullit proof (no bomb proof) build quality, unbelievable customer service (no Ferrari dealer attitude), top comes down and I rountinely dust vettes, Vipers, Porsches...and dare I say our beloved Fcars at the track....all for $130K....fully optioned, taxes paid out the door!

Having said the a 360CS or the Ford GT seem quite tasty too....Maybe Santa will be good to me this year!

Ciao....Dino

13. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Ford GT.

One car no one has mentioned is the BMW Z8. Drove one and thought it was pretty damn cool.

AND BRUCE, WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED THAT YOU HAVE A DUSTER WITH THE ORIGINAL TWISTER STICKER???