The British Columbia Thread! | Page 458 | FerrariChat

The British Columbia Thread!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by steve2814, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ha!! How are you doing Jon? I haven't been down to the building in two months....been busy. Last time I was there, I took Jaguar Jimmy for a rip to the Chevron. I hope all is well. Ciao.

2. bus stop

bus stop Rookie

Jul 26, 2016
    http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-budget-2018-luxury-cars-sales-tax

FYI...BC gov't just raised the sales tax on a new or used (over 150k) Ferrari or any other luxury car. Total tax on a new car is now a staggering 25%, which is nuts. There really is nothing easier than going after people who own luxury cars and making them all out to be "the problem" in the public eye. Talk about going after the low hanging fruit. ICBC insurance corporation is mismanaged to the tune of billions in debt and the high end car enthusiasts are falsely convicted of being the culprit. Most media outlets will sensationalize any accident involving a high end car in Vancouver without a word regarding the hundreds of other accidents that occurred the same day. ICBC rates have doubled for most high end sports car owners in this province without any real documented justification. I've had my basic insurance policies (mandatory! ...btw) double in the last year with a perfect driving record and no claims. It's literally extortion since you have no alternative. There are private alternatives for extended liability and collision but those companies are now taking a cue from ICBC and doubling their rates as well...there seems to be zero logic in any of their reasoning; other than "ICBC did, so we can as well".

The local media love to show crashed supercars here to illicit public support against those that drive them...the above article is "case in point". The irony however is that MOST enthusiasts of these high end cars drive them only occasionally for 4-6 months of the year in mostly summer conditions without getting into accidents. The few that do get into accidents are always highly publicized with extreme media prejudice towards the drivers. Some of these younger inexperienced Vancouver drivers may well deserve the public scorn, however the fact is these so called "supercar accidents" really account for a mere drop in the ICBC debt ocean, compared to personal injury claims involving the rest of all accidents with non luxury vehicles. A red herring that satisfies the appetite of public disdain. Who after all, doesn't love to hate the luxury car driver.

I know, it's first world problems...just a sad time to be a car enthusiast in BC. Especially if you're one of the responsible ones that dreamed of owning one of these cars and worked your butt off for years to afford this "luxury" in the first place.

Rant over...

4RE F12 likes this.
  3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hey Rob, given the weather, not much Ferrari time but keeping busy with skiing and guitar playing. Who is "Jaguar Jimmy"? See you soon. Jon

ducrob likes this.
  4. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    He has the jag ragtop on p1, just down from my car. Apparently he is at the strata meetings every time, and he's not shy;)

5. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I spotted a Bentley GTC driving in the snow yesterday.......... I was both impressed and cringing at the same time.

6. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The Chinese kids don't care.

max930 likes this.
  7. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hah....Ervin!! You Chinese kids make me jealous!! Having said that, performance car driving lessons should be mandatory! No racism implied....a lot of young Asian kids get crazy cars and die way too soon. There was a tragic accident on a bridge in Vancouver a couple of months ago...effin horrible. Anybody can make jokes about it after the fact but the deceased drivers parents had to receive the news, travel to Canada (assumed) and deal with the mess....sad. I looked at the accident scene...lots of burning...horrible. The Audi driver (R10) also destroyed the health of a cab driver and his passenger...for what? Just tragic.

8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Saw a red 458 in someone's driveway--guess they are going for a drive or just came back from one. Seen a Gallardo at the same house, but think it was in the garage this time.

9. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Definitely. I would blame it on the relatively cheap cars in Canada and too much money rushing in suddenly. I would say it takes maybe three generations for things to improve.

10. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Am waiting for Jon to chime in on this....he's the guru. I think I saw this accident on wrecked exotics.com. Sad.

11. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hardly the guru, but I believe this would be the F40 that was heavily damaged exiting the Supercar weekend at Van Dusen gardens about 3 years ago. Anyway, interesting case. Would need to read the Statement of Claim to get a better idea of whether there is a cause of action. If it's that F40, I know the owner through my former membership with the local Maserati club. He has or had some interesting Maseratis and Ferraris. Real enthusiast. Great guy. I don't think he is a forum member but I don't know.

So, "Ducrob" when will your 355 be next on the road shaking the neighborhood with that exhaust sound? I've had my 328 has been out a fair amount this week, showing it to prospective new owners - listed on Craigslist - for sale only in BC.

Jon

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi Guys, anybody ever registered car in Alberta? Can we buy a car from dealer in BC but want to register it in AB?

13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
  14. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Am not sure Jon...am really curious about my relationship at the moment...she is supposed to call me this week. I hope the car is still in my parking spot:) The business has been ridiculous busy, seven days a week busy. I have to make a trip to the coast soon for materials and to get some resolution with her/car/stuff. I hate drama. I hope all is well with you, best I don't say much more on a public forum. R.

15. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just viewed your ad Jon....why? That car is perfect! What's next?

16. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Rob. The Ferrari and Maserati itches have been scratched. No replacement in mind. And, no room for any more guitars - you know how small these condos are. Jon

17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Yesterday, was an awesome day weather wise. Cords and black T-shirt..... Today, the clouds came back. Was going to wash the cars and truck, but decided to wait until it was at least a week of sunshine. House I pass going out had their Huracan green out and their red 458 in driveway yesterday........Two more weeks of March and hoping April is sunshine and warm weather.

18. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
  19. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Oh...my...gorgeous!

20. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  21. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  22. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    max930 likes this.
  23. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    True..... We'll now compete for a world title with the UK and Europe.

wjw300tt likes this.
  24. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    I think the NDP (P for Pirates) has no plan to help those who can't afford to buy a property, if you look at their plan, technically they are praying for properties transaction to boom while they are taxing (grabbing) everything so high, so they could use the money to buy vote from people who can't afford this and that.
    The killer is the school tax, this is so ridiculous that they actually hammered people who own and live in their only house, but for flipper who sell it in short time, they don't need to pay or pay little. If they want to punish speculators, they should target speculator's profit to be taxed. In fact, NDP is expecting and encouraging speculators (flippers) to keep performing, so they could grab their share and buy vote.

As for super cars, instead of being hammered 10% extra, now David Eby is talking to the press that huge amount of money laundry goes to super cars, WHILE PROVIDING NO PROOF AT ALL. This is very shocking, a Canadian government official (developed country) could simply say his imagination in public medias.
    Imo, the Pirates will slow down the economy, because their mind is too simple, they think it's so simple to just promise this and that to voters, then force homeowners, super car owners, cigar smoker, etc to make the promises become reality. These home owners, super car owners, etc will HOLD BACK EVERYTHING, and then life would be even worse for those believe in the Pirates : Promises are still promises, but now income starting to drop.