The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 14 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I drove a 488 Spider yesterday. Not really interested in buying but my local P dealer had a few so I figured I'd check it out. The one I had drove had an exhaust. Sounded fairly decent. Nothing like a 458 but not bad. The cowl shake was really noticeable. The C8 convertible is much stiffer and the 765 LT Spider I drove last weekend was another planet altogether. Pull was pretty good. Slower than Turbo S but obviously quicker than C8. Gearbox is of course incredible as we've become used to with the Ferrari DCT. Overall though, nothing compelling about the car. They wanted $330k for it. My estimation is for $130k the Z06 vette will demolish it in every way.

The biggest overall impression while driving a 488 spider is, annoyingly, wind. The cabin gets filled with it. It really robs from the experience. The C8 gets blustery as well. Too much so. The 765LT Spider is PERFECT in this department. Barely any wind with the top down. You can hear the engine so much more clearly. Talk to your companions. Focus on the sheer speed. It's about the perfect machine.

Donatella, Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you found the 488 spider shakey, magnify your experience by a factor of 10 for the 458 spider. Totally in agreement with your assesment of the 488. Your ownership of the 765 has spoiled you. The C8 is arguably or perhaps beyond dispute, amongst the best values available.The 488 is really showing its age. Hopefully your crituique of the 488 does not send Il Co into an apoplectic rage.

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I took one of my car buddies for a hour drive in the 765 on winding, isolated , country roads. He owns a GT3, Turbo and the new GT4 - spyder. He was in a state of awe. He literally was overwhelmed by the driving dynamics, ferocious speed and sound. The tenacious grip during high speed, hard cornering sent him into a state of giddy. The car's composure and stability upon launch hitting 160 kms in the blink of an eye amazed him further. At the conclusion of our journey, he professed that his drive in the 765 was a uniquely spectacular experience, unmatched by any other car and by a wide margin.

He has driven the 488 on the track and is familar with the Performante and the F8, accompanying me on many outings.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #329 jimmyb, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Based on sales, it doesn't seem that GM "lost a significant part of their buyers". If you go order one today, even from one of the big 3 dealers, you're still looking at 12 months minimum to delivery. The dealer I got my C8 from (small dealer) has stopped taking deposits.
    And the DCT is Tremec.

Coincid likes this.
  5. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I assume you're not a Porsche guy then??!!

Boomhauer and Solid State like this.
  6. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Two C8’s came to the Ferrari club auto cross event today. There were several 458 in attendance, which were the most modern Ferrari’s. No 488 or F8. The two C8’s were consistently 4 seconds slower than the 458’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And the Miata driven by the pro would be 4 seconds faster than the Ferraris. Oh well.

8. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Actually, the Tesla SUV was the fastest. Ha

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Oh no. Some things you need to keep to yourself man lol

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’ll take the bait. The 765LT is the best car of all time. That is all.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jonathan19, Jo Sta7, ScrappyB and 2 others like this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I second that emotion.

12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Drove my LT to an event on Saturday and was directed to park next to an SF90. Quite a stark difference in design language between them.

I forgot how fast this thing is. Drove with ESC off on my way home. My rear tires weren’t very happy about it.

Thecadster, VAF84, Coincid and 3 others like this.
  13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I wish my local Tampa area Ferrari Club hosted AutoX or track days. Anyway it all depends on the driver at an AutoX. During my Porsche Club AutoX days we have a guy in a 1999 Boxster, stock... that would out run everyone. It did not matter, Turbo's, GT3 GT3RS with really good drivers, he out ran hen all in a completely stock older Porsche Boxster. His name is Danny Shields...look him up. Champ at Auto X and a heck of a great guy.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Side by side what did you think?

16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The LT looked more sculpted, aggressive and futuristic (which is strange despite it being an older platform). I do like the SF90 but would like it even more if it was pure ICE and $200k less. It’s definitely a softer, more road oriented design.

Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    When I went to my Ferrari dealer’ s introduction of the SF90, when I arrived with my 765, every sales rep came over to see the car and all of them were effusive with their praise. During the presentation, one sales rep was so ebullient over the 765, that the owner gave him a dirty look that was conveying the message that this event is about the SF90 and not about the 765.

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I would be interested in the SF90 if they substantively improved the styling, it was all ICE 850HP and the price was cut by 40%. Still prefer the Pista.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F8 speciale. Should have happened.

FerrariCognoscenti and italiafan like this.
  20. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Side by side the SF90 is completely overshadowed by the attractive Mclaren.

The SF90 looks incredibly underwhelming. The styling is boring and uninspired.

It is a technical and performance marvel, but a stylistic misstep. The 458/488/F8 styling is so much nicer than the SF90.

Despite the great performance, it is impossible to justify half million for a car that just looks…so…boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyg and Coincid like this.
  21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    1) Wrong
    2) Wrong
    3) Wrong
    4) WRONG

/END

The quad-fecta! :)
    Oh BTW: Another boring and uninspiring Ferrari!

22. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    This is my opinion of the SF90 styling. It is neither right nor wrong, it is my opinion that the SF90 has a boring and uninspired appearance. Your opinion differs, but is no more or less valid than mine.

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well..... Ferrari design ethos is different than McLaren or Lamborghini. That's what many people do not understand.

What some view as boring, others view as elegant. I wouldn't call any Lambo "elegant" since the Countach.

24. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The SF90 looks 1000x better in person than in pictures.

Ash Patel and Thecadster like this.
  25. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    But how does it sound compared to a C8 Z06? ;)

Ash Patel likes this.