The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 18 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The list of manufacturers that now sound better than Ferrari grows larger every day. And at any price point.

Z06
    991 GT3RS
    Aston Valkyrie
    GMA T50
    Pagani Zonda and Huayra R

Ash Patel and TheMayor like this.
  2. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    I agree with you, the list should be a lot longer :) I was really thinking the next generation Z06 would be turbo or sc, just following with the C7Z06. I'm surprised they were able to get so much power out of an N/A 5.5. the 458 was 122hp per litre and this LT6 is 121hp per litre.

What I don't get is how in 2023 model year Chevrolet can do this, but why couldn't Ferrari do something similar for the 488 in 2016? I get we'd be missing the torque from the turbos etc, but most of us would have rather had an N/A high revving v8 instead.

Wikdstrate, Ash Patel and VAF84 like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw it yesterday in person. The Z06 is better looking than the C8. Cleaner, wider, more aggressive and even the back is a bit better (still not great though). The new rear wing is a vast improvement in looks.

Lets be honest here...

Normally aspirated flat plane crank 5.2L V8 twin cam driven by chains, with forged pistons, titanium rods and exhaust valves that gives 670 HP and revs to 8600 and sounds awesome and is based off a bespoke race motor -- what's to complain about? Add it to an excellent Tremec DCT and the heart of this thing is something any manufacturer would be proud to sell.

The Americans are going back 12 years in time to recreate the 458's magic but at 1/3rd the price. Maybe that's a good thing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BenB, Thecadster, racerdj and 10 others like this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Agreed, but likely the ADM will result in a lot higher price than just a third of a 458’s original MSRP. Big unknown is whether the Z06 will depreciate rapidly.

The big wing is part of the Z07 track package.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    People buy McLarens and they depreciate more in a year than the entire cost of the Z06. I don't see this as a big issue. Most people will buy the standard C8 stingray. That's were the depreciation will eventually be IMO.

Boomhauer, VAF84 and Need4Spd like this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I guess you are excluding V12 Ferraris.

Are you familiar with the EU and its CO2 regulations?

Senna1994 and 430jm like this.
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Nah. The 812 and Monza have the same sound as the F12 pretty much. It sounds nice but not nearly as good as any of the cars i posted.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Beg to differ. To my ears the 812 sounds much better than the GT3 and the Zo6 (of course we have only heard the Vette on videos) and the Huracan R is a track car. Only the high revving Cosworths sound better, by virtue of their higher red-line.

430jm likes this.
  9. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Yes I am familiar. Are you suggesting or are you in the know that they will not sell the C8 Z06 in Europe?

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    GM is a huge corporation and the Corvette is only a small fraction of their sales. They can afford the fines that a few hundred Z06s will incur in the EU; a drop in the ocean.

430jm likes this.
  11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Didn’t they apply GPFs to the base C8 for European homologation? If so, good on GM for going through the effort and expense of developing systems that meet local requirements, rather than delivering the Eu solution to NA markets. Even McLaren engineers a different exhaust for Eu so that North Americans can enjoy higher sound volumes at lower RPMs.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The PPF has nothing to do with CO2 emissions. Without a PPF, a DI-engined car won't be allowed to be sold in the EU. A high CO2 emitting engine is allowed, but incurs fines. At any rate, CO2 is a global problem.

13. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018

Shockingly and mercifully so does MB ... my BS has secondary cats in the location where the euro version has the particulate filters.

ScrappyB and VAF84 like this.
  14. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    McLaren have sound?

15. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    agree c8 z06 is awesome but hold on to your 458 until you go for your first oil change at your local chevy dealer...

16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Perhaps I’m confused because you said GM will pay fines on Z06’s sold into the Eu. Can you elaborate?

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    LT’s are not quiet cars. I recently followed a 765LT to a dealer and asked the driver if the exhaust was modified because it didn’t sound legal. He said it was stock. It had a nice high pitch wail when he floored it.

18. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I was surprised to hear that also during the Opus walk around. I wonder how much different it sounds vs an Eu spec car?

19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I haven't driven the European version but I'm guessing it makes a big difference especially under throttle. Given the reviews and sound clips coming out of Europe I was really worried about the sound of the car. I actually had been in email contact with Lukas at Opus about buying an exhaust from them. Thankfully I waited to take delivery before doing so because I neither need it or want it. Yes at idle there's nothing special about the exhaust, it's just a quiet purr very much like that of the GT2RS. But once you get going with valves open it actually sounds pretty epic, shockingly so, even with the windows open to diffuse the little bit of fake exhaust coming through the speakers. In the US spec car without the filters the exhaust along with all the mechanical sounds makes it a full on race car auditory experience and infinitely more pleasurable to hear than the 2RS. The car is almost like a blend of 3RS viscerally with 2RS speed, with the exhaust somewhere in between.

ScrappyB likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #445 REALZEUS, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    It's a complicated formula where every manufacturer has a target CO2 reduction, which they have to achieve or pay fines for every excessive gram of CO2 per vehicle sold. Small manufacturers have different targets. Since GM doesn't sell other cars in Europe I am not sure how this will work, but a few hundred cars per year won't matter to such a colossus anyway. Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini and co though have to meet their targets, since Europe is their heartland and the fines will be hefty. Not to mention that social responsibility is a key requirement by the marketing departments nowadays. If these companies are perceived as provocative dinosaurs, they will extinct.

21. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    First, my red over tan, race seat 458 spider is going on sale next week.
    Second, my buddy uses the same Ferrari dealer as me. During one service they forgot to tighten his drain plug and had an obvious oil leak with said oil getting all over his Speciale under carriage. On another service he was told they did his brake fluid flush when in fact they did not. Car had to go back again for that one.

For me, my car was stuck at the dealer for 6 weeks - while under warranty- when the electronic dash went out. Should have been no more than 3 days to get a new dash overnight from Italy and put it in.

Lastly, I doubt any Chevy dealer ever told a customer they had to buy 5-10 cars they don't want to get one they do.

Thanks for your concern, but my love for Ferrari has been tempered by the reality of what I have put up over the past 20 years.

Best

catdog and VAF84 like this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Interesting. All of the reviews I’ve seen thus far have been with European cars so that’s a nice surprise. The 2RS sounds pretty epic to my ears so I’m excited to experience the BS for myself very soon.

soulsea likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Doubt very much there will be much of a difference. The secondary cat is there to simulate the same restriction as the GPF. If the restriction is the same, chances,are that the sound is similar too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    GM sell plenty of cars in the EU. The former Daewoo cars are sold under the Chevy badge and thus registered as a GM product.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The new Z06 is undoubtably an impressive car. What is more impressive is that Ferrari’s 11 year old design, the 458, was the benchmark for GM’s C8 project.