The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 19 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You clearly have not experienced the 765.

mdrums likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not anymore. Daewoo/Chevrolet withdrew from Europe years ago: https://www.jato.com/chevrolets-withdraw-europe-impact-opelvauxhall/
    Opel/Vauxhall was the last GM brand in Europe but it has been sold to Groupe PSA and is now part of the Stellantis Group.
    Currently there is no GM product sold in Europe, other than the Corvette.

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Best part is, they took notes on how to come close to one of the best sounding Ferrari's, and then made it faster than the newest F8. The F8 0-60 is 2.9, the C8 Z06 is 2.6. We'll have to see what the Nurburgring time is and compare. To me the $200,000 more you'll spend on the Ferrari is for design, pedigree, "club fees", and we'll have to see about driveability (I don't know if it will toss around as easily as a Ferrari). I still love Ferrari, but the C8 Z06 makes it even harder to spend considerable amounts of extra money in exchange for the less palatable parts of Ferrari ownership. The gap in return on investment has closed considerably.

BenB, Bill Ingram, italiafan and 6 others like this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    And naturally aspirated! So proud of American engineering on the Z06 engine!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

mdrums, Caeruleus11, catdog and 3 others like this.
  5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Here's the good news ... if $750k for a used Aperta is a smidgen steep for you, you can have this new version which is faster, with updated tech, more torsional rigidity, and you can get it serviced by Jeff down at the Chevy dealer. Sure, it isn't one of the most beautiful machines ever created by man like the Aperta, but perhaps $600k in savings will help you cope with that disappointment. :)

mdrums, Bill Ingram, Fastmd and 6 others like this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, the extra $600k helps.

VAF84, ScrappyB and soulsea like this.
  7. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    The Z06 is on cup2R tires though. Same reason why GT3s routinely punch above their weight when compared to 488s and 570s that don't get a sticky track tire from factory. 1/4 mile times will probably be similar. The F8 is putting down similar hp on dynos, much more torque thanks to turbos, and is going to weigh about 250 pounds less. (chevy likes to quote 'dry' weight, but looking at the data its probably going to weight around 3700 vs the 3450 for the F8)

But i agree with you. The gap has narrowed significantly. If i were to go back to a 458 i'd have a hard time looking past the z06.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I’m not so sure about that. GPF devices seem to affect sound differently than cats do, particularly the higher frequencies.

VAF84 and soulsea like this.
  9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    one of the better aspects of the z06 vs f8 ferrari is freedom. free to drive the z06 anywhere, anytime stress free. that is liberating and makes the driving experience more enjoyable.

nmcclure, catdog, italiafan and 4 others like this.
  10. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    parts will be easy and cheap to replace
    the chevy dealer network is HUGE by comparison (I had to drive 2 hours to get my 458 serviced, with a z06 it would be 2 minutes)
    ***not sure if there will need to be a 'special mechanic' for the z06 at the dealer but i'd assume though. GTRs had this.

I think the 'freedom' argument comes down to money though. Being able to buy a car, and being able to put 20k daily driven miles a year on it without a care are two different things.

VAF84 likes this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ disagree. even the very rich here dont daily drive pistas. the rich in the sixties daily drove 250 swb’s and 275gtb’s.
    today even the very rich want to preserve the cars resale value and foregoing the experience.

ryalex likes this.
  12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I think both of these responses are right. In general the top 5% ($309k/yr and up according to Investopedia) income can probably afford a new Ferrari and I would say constitute new Ferrari buyers, but the jump from 5% to 1% is a difference of $400k/yr. Your .1% are $2.1M+, the 1% are $737k+. These guys probably don't care. They will buy what they want, and maybe two as a backup. However, I'm assuming there's a bigger volume of buyers in that $300-700k that will care. Maybe the professional class such as Doctors, Consultants, Lawyers, Small business guys. They can afford (or are only willing to buy) one exotic at a time. This group will be more concerned about maintenance costs and resale. Maybe they buy one to scratch the itch, but the case for a second one starts to get shaky. Then there's the second hand market. Do you buy a 10 year old 458, or a new C8?

Honestly, this isn't just a Ferrari vs Corvette question. The number of outstanding vehicles out there is incredible. Maintaining brand loyalty must be getting difficult for car companies with the minimal difference in performance numbers and technology. We've reached the point of diminishing returns across the board.

humdizzle likes this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is so true. I can afford to replace my 765 many times over, however I don't want to and a keyed door would be a major PITA both cost wise and timing. I drive and park my C8 anywhere and don't care. People like it. People will love the c8 z06.

14. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    It sure is. So many great cars. This is a great time to be a car guy.

Bill Ingram and VAF84 like this.
  15. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    I hope that Z06 will be huge success and some other manufacturers will decide to work harder and find way to to bring back some NA engine or create new ones.

italiafan likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have a feeling getting my hands on a Z06 will be difficult.

ryalex, VAF84 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well my dealer has sold 28 brand new C8’s. A lot for a smaller dealer. They’re part of a larger dealer network that between the 5 stores has sold almost 100. They’re getting 2 Z06 allocations, period. And only 1 at my particular dealer. At least for now. Production will be limited.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Damn. Hopefully as a few years roll by and demand stays solid Chevy will keep production humming along to satisfy most customers. I don’t mind waiting 2-3 years.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm curious if GM has a total production target in mind. Sub 10k cars total. If that's the case this car will trade for 2 or maybe even 3x MSRP on the secondary market.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That will then be Ferrari money.

VAF84 likes this.
  21. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I just called local dealer from whom i had bought a '17 Camaro SS and "18 ZL1 and gently inquired about the Z06 and order etc. He matter of factly said the won't be able to order until Spring '22 and not sure how many allocations they will be getting. More importantly he said they are currently selling regular C8 for $30k ADM no ifs ands or buts about it and he doesn't know what they will be upcharging Z06 at this point. So... good luck getting one at MSRP and at >$30k ADM, becomes a little less palatable...

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  22. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I think this is the best argument, it's so annoying not being able to drive an F-car without all the attention/issues... especially corsa red...

23. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Well, I passed one at speed in my 458S and all I could hear was my car. I think McLarens are great cars, but I think most folks on this forum believe that the Ferraris on the whole sound much better.

24. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I haven't spoken to any real car guy that isn't buzzing over the Z06. Between C8 values already over sticker pre-pandemic, parts shortages, limited production numbers, and crazy market conditions, I see Z06's fetching big numbers. To make matters worse, if dealers only get one or 2 allocations, you can bet they're going to dealer principals first before any customers - and then they'll sit on showroom floors with huge ADMs. I'm going to go on a limb here and say if you don't have an order locked at MSRP right now and really want one, expect to pay over $100k above MSRP.